If you are looking for a dog...

emms said:
"Having pets is not loving animals" I think I will stop this conversation right there. I will continue on promoting the adoption of those animals who need homes and you can continue promoting... well, I'm not really sure anymore what you are promoting nor what you are saying.

I believe in adoption for all, including human adoption (which I am guessing you are also opposed to as you often don't know the parents in those situations either), and helping those in need. And I assure you, in all respects, that I am not kidding myself.

So I assume you do eat meat then Emms. How can you say you love animals and at the same time not only eat them, but also support an industry that tortures them in horrific conditions? That doesn't come of as hypocritical to you?

People have pets and adopt kids for their own selfish reasons. Not because they want to "help those in need". And that goes for you too.

I don't think it's wrong adopting a dog (or kids for that matter), I am merely disagreeing with your statements that it's better. And I am also pointing out your hypocrisy when you say that you "love animals".

NYKate said:
It's hard to find a responsible breeder...

Which is why nledec created this thread.

There are responsible breeders out there and I see nothing wrong with patronizing them if someone is looking for a specific breed. A responsible breeder will screen homes, ensure there is a good match btwn owner/animal and will provide health certs (especially important with purebreeds which are in fact *more prone* to health conditions than "mutts"). Some people want a specific breed for temperment, personality or simply aesthetic reasons. Not a thing wrong with that.

If however, people are willing to consider mixed-breed dogs, there are so many wonderful dogs (and cats, etc) here to choose from and giving an abandoned animal a chance is an amazing thing. A responsible shelter will have done all the medical checks prior to adoption and again, mixed-breed dogs usually have less health issues such as hip dysplasia, breathing problems, skin conditions, etc that many purebred dogs suffer from. And yes, you can find purebred dogs/cats/etc in a shelter as well.

The only two things that should be avoided like the plague are puppy mills (and by extension pet stores) and "rescues" that may have their heart in the right place but know nothing about the animals they are trying to help.

orwellian said:
So I assume you do eat meat then Emms. How can you say you love animals and at the same time not only eat them, but also support an industry that tortures them in horrific conditions? That doesn't come of as hypocritical to you?

People have pets and adopt kids for their own selfish reasons. Not because they want to "help those in need". And that goes for you too.

I don't think it's wrong adopting a dog (or kids for that matter), I am merely disagreeing with your statements that it's better. And I am also pointing out your hypocrisy when you say that you "love animals".

Which is why nledec created this thread.

One more... I was a vegetarian for 8 years and since coming to Argentina I eat meat on occasion. I do the very best I can, which is the same I am asking from other people. I think that saying ' i love animals' is a very general statement and I do not think that it puts me in one bracket or the other.
I ask people to adopt animals because I think it is a great thing to do and I believe its very selfless. And I think those who adopt often do it because they believe it is helping someone in need (deliver that sentence you gave above to the millions of volunteer organizations around the world), not for their own selfish reasons. My mother fosters animals, not because its easy or cheap, but because she believes it makes a difference in their lives. That's about the least selfish thing I can think of...

I am allowed to give my opinion and state my own reasons for why I think adopting an animal is the way to go and that is exactly what I did.

Where does one go to get a healthy street dog? Is there a dog pound where I might go and save a dog on death row instead?

Emms - don't disagree at all. Adopting an animal from a shelter is a wonderful thing. I grew up with purebred dogs (retrievers - labrador & golden) and they were wonderful. However, my parent's current dog is a shelter rescue (lab mix) and hands-down, is the most gentle and loving dog they have ever had. At the risk of anthropromorphizing (I'm sure I spelled that wrong), rescue dogs seem to have a sense of gratitude.
However, it is important that you go to a responsible shelter where they have done testing (temperment and medical), especially if you have small children.
I think NYKate mentioned it as well but it's SO important for prospective owners to be realistic about what kind of dog they need and what temperment will fit their lifestyle. I did some work with animal shelters back in the US and the number of dogs that were turned in because they were too active (when the owner had bought a high energy breed) or too big (um.. puppies grow) or too strong-willed (when they had purchased a breed that required strict handling), etc, etc. It drove me insane.

So you were an animal lover then you mean? Or by love do you mean they are tasty? And I was referring to people who adopt kids and dogs, not to people who do volunteer work.

Wow. Is this for real?
I'm just passing on some information people.
If you want to use it, use it.
If you don't want to use it, don't.
Either way, how about saving the preaching for the pulpit?
How about letting this site be a useful (and peaceful) place for expats to exchange information that will help them navigate life in a foreign country and not a place that tries to tell them how to live said life?

Weather you buy or adopt a pet, it is certainly your business. from my experience the adopted animals very often tend to be the "problem" opnes, nothing to do .. the street life, or years of abuse or disbelief in people's good intentions after they had been betrayed. One has to be super patient and put in a great deal of time to adapt this kind of dog to his/her lifestyle.

What I am psitive, though, is NO ONE in his right mind would be paying someone to look for a dog in Argentina (there are all kinds of resources on the internet, and yes, to get a great dog YOU need to go and check the puppy out and the breeder) and to board it for a mere $ 50 USD per day - this is the going rate of Mr. Anderson, while you can find excellent facilities for your dog, when you go on vacation or travel, for 20 - 25 pesos a day (everything included, nice beds for the night only, fre romping in the parkside setting, lots of love and companionship)

oksanache said:
to board it for a mere $ 50 USD per day - this is the going rate of Mr. Anderson, while you can find excellent facilities for your dog, when you go on vacation or travel, for 20 - 25 pesos a day (everything included, nice beds for the night only, fre romping in the parkside setting, lots of love and companionship)

Yes. I did get the rates from Mr Anderson for US$50 per pay per dog. This is extremely expensive. He also wanted US$50 per hour to train your puppy where locals (who also speak english) charge AR$75 per hour.

Back