Imports, really feeling the pinch now

starlucia said:
In related news...

We are planning to switch from our current Internet provider (Speedy) to Fibertel, which will save us AR150 per month. Have been informed by Fibertel that for now, they can only hook us up to a cable modem connection - no Wifi. The reason? They have run out of wireless modems and are unable to import anymore at this time.

It's kind of sobering to know that even a corporate behemoth like Cablevision can't somehow bribe, con, or smuggle their stock in...

I am sure they are using some industrial wifi system, but basic wifi systems are available pretty much everywhere. I was sort of shocked how many they had at tech store. They were brands I had never heard of but assume they function. I am sure parts are hard to find though....

garygrunson said:
I am sure they are using some industrial wifi system, but basic wifi systems are available pretty much everywhere. I was sort of shocked how many they had at tech store. They were brands I had never heard of but assume they function. I am sure parts are hard to find though....

Not all routers are alike though and many will slow to a halt if you even try and download torrents.

It's going to get worse, not better. Argentina is cutting itself off from the rest of the world for the rest of Christina's term anyway.

Word on the street is that by next month a list of NO MORE imports that the government deems ¨non-needed luxury¨ items will be put into play.

My friend is the food and beverage director at one of the top hotels in BA and they are already bracing themselves for the tighter crunch but are trying to be pro-active about it by looking into some made in Argentina ¨specialty¨ type drinks and the sort.

jb5 said:
It's going to get worse, not better. Argentina is cutting itself off from the rest of the world for the rest of Christina's term anyway.

What did they do the last 10 years then?

For years I have heard expats say if you don't like it here, leave. Maybe Argentina wants to be cut off from the rest of the world.

scotttswan said:
Not all routers are alike though and many will slow to a halt if you even try and download torrents.
You can still get some decent wifi routers like TPLink and Linksys.
We recently had Fibertel installed (Dec 2011) and they hooked up a wifi modem which I didn't want but it was too late and forgot to ask the tech bloke for the password to access the modem.
Default is usually ADMIN but not in this case.

Gringoboy said:
You can still get some decent wifi routers like TPLink and Linksys.
We recently had Fibertel installed (Dec 2011) and they hooked up a wifi modem which I didn't want but it was too late and forgot to ask the tech bloke for the password to access the modem.
Default is usually ADMIN but not in this case.

Are the import slowdowns depending on country of origin? I see lots of electronics from Brazil and Mexico here. Either they are easy to import or there is a large back supply. There must be some trade agreements with Brazil for example.

garygrunson said:
Are the import slowdowns depending on country of origin? I see lots of electronics from Brazil and Mexico here. Either they are easy to import or there is a large back supply. There must be some trade agreements with Brazil for example.

There is this thing called Mercosur....

Yes, it seems that the slowdowns vary depending of the country of origin of the goods. Brazilian imports are being slowed, but not by the same intensity as goods from Japan or USA.

Mexico is not in Mercosur. Also, there was no Moca Blanco at any Starbucks this weekend. I tried like 5 with no luck. Is that importad too? I remembre when I first came here they didn't have Chai for weeks.

Back