Imports, really feeling the pinch now

Listen mate, you've obviously not understood how we Brits use that expression...'it's gone beyond a joke....' etc etc.
Of course it was never a joke, you muppet!
Monty Python used the power of the Joke to great effect in defeating the Germans.

Gringoboy said:
Listen mate, you've obviously not understood how we Brits use that expression...'it's gone beyond a joke....' etc etc.
Of course it was never a joke, you muppet!
Monty Python used the power of the Joke to great effect in defeating the Germans.

I was just beginning to wonder whether someone was taking these comments waaaay too literally, or if there was a difference of understanding in the phrase 'go beyond a joke' - which made perfect sense to me, a New Zealander, in the original post.

I too agree that at this point the trade and currency restrictions ya no son un chiste.

Many came, or came back here during the 'forced' and/or inevitable growth after the 2001 crisis. The mid 2000' seemed better in the perceived freedom of the streets of Buenos Aires than in the US.

At this point however, and beside personal experiences and circumstances, I believe it's come down to a particular scenario, many times repeated in these Pampas,

The easy sweet life is gone and other places (worth suggesting a list!) would do better.

For those who stay for whatever reasons, it's all about weathering the storm. The vessel might sink but if you make it you'll be as rich as those who benefited after 01.
It's always a good idea to have more than one vessel.

So practically speaking,

Colonia Carmelo and Montevideo are all within a reasonable distance from B.A., but Uruguay's not cheaper than Argentina. Why aren't importers setting up shop in Colonia next to the terminal like Brazilians do in Chui (or Mexicans in Tijuana for the reverse scenario)?
What's your experience with using Uruguay to by pass the, at least trade, restrictions?

Gringoboy said:
Many of us only have one vessel and not enough lifeboats.

I hear you but it's not always the biggest ship that makes it through the storm,

learn something from the victory over the Armada!

starlucia said:
In related news...

We are planning to switch from our current Internet provider (Speedy) to Fibertel, which will save us AR150 per month. Have been informed by Fibertel that for now, they can only hook us up to a cable modem connection - no Wifi. The reason? They have run out of wireless modems and are unable to import anymore at this time.

It's kind of sobering to know that even a corporate behemoth like Cablevision can't somehow bribe, con, or smuggle their stock in...

Exactly the same thing happened to us.. Now with Fibertel since the end of March and we got a normal modem instead of the WIFI one... luckily a friend did have a WIFI modem and we managed to make that work

Im almost sure that the WIFI modem from Fibertel will never get to us.

toongeorges said:
Usually, if you connect your computer with a network cable to the router, you can access the router from your browser through an IP address typically somewhere between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255. You can try entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser. This way you can reset the password.

Thanks for the tip mate!
But surely in order to reset a password you need the existing password.
Of course a hard reset would take the modem back to factory default, erasing the config.

el_expatriado said:
That's my point. In your first post you said the import restrictions are "getting beyond a joke right now."

They never were a joke. They are destroying the livelihoods of a lot of people. I find it to be very callous that you thought they were a joke until they started to affect you personally. I have friends that lost their businesses due to the import restrictions and others who have lost their jobs or seen their wages & bonuses cut.

The import restrictions were never a joke and I'm sorry to see that they are now affecting you, but they were a problem even before they affected your business.
He never thought it was a JOKE. There must be something about this English expression that you don't get? No joke.

"(Reuters) - Brazil plans to end automatic import licensing for about 10 perishable products including apples, raisins, wheat flour, potatoes and some cheeses and wines in retaliation against rising trade barriers in Argentina, a senior Brazilian government official told Reuters on Monday.

While the licensing change applies to all countries, neighboring Argentina is a major source of the targeted imports, the official said. The move could delay approval for imports by up to 60 days.

Average Brazilian daily exports to Argentina, Brazil's main partner in the Mercosur trade block, fell 27 percent in April compared with a year earlier."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/14/us-brazil-argentina-trade-idUSBRE84D1DY20120514

Back