Imports, really feeling the pinch now

nyer4ever said:
"(Reuters) - Brazil plans to end automatic import licensing for about 10 perishable products including apples, raisins, wheat flour, potatoes and some cheeses and wines in retaliation against rising trade barriers in Argentina, a senior Brazilian government official told Reuters on Monday

What amazes me is that it has taken so long for them to react to the argentine trade/import restrictions...

AngelinBA said:
I was just beginning to wonder whether someone was taking these comments waaaay too literally, or if there was a difference of understanding in the phrase 'go beyond a joke' - which made perfect sense to me, a New Zealander, in the original post.

This must be a brit idiom of some sort. I'm American and I've never heard the phrase "gone beyond a joke" to mean anything other than what it seems to mean on its face... (i.e. no longer funny).

The first reply to the thread had the same understanding that I did of this phrase when he said that the import restrictions never were a joke in the first place (which is what I was trying to say).

They'd already potested the Argentine trade restrictions publicly. I'm sure they took a measured look at the best way to apply pressure to Argentina instead of rushing into it.

Don't forget that Brasil also backed Argentina (with others, obviously) on the Falklands statement, as a statement of solidarity against colonialism. And just as Argentina was implementing those restrictions...

Brasil backed Argentina with something they knew would make at least some of their important trading partners (North America, Europe) somewhat uncomfortable and they are repaid by Argentina implementing trade barriers that hurt Brasil, at least to an extent.

Brasil's not that happy with Argentina.

Neither is Paraguay, but that doesn't mean as much to Argentina for obvious reasons. Paraguay is impacted in many ways. They've sold agricultural products to Argentina, and in the last few years the beef exports from Paraguay to Argentina had gone up quite a bit in response to the Argentine government's beef export policies, which had damaged the meat industry in Argentina as farmers switched to easier to grow and lower overhead crops (to offest the increased restrictions), such as soy.

Beef prices rose significantly in Paraguay, as who wants to sell beef locally at a lower price than they can get exporting it to a beef-hungry country like Argentina. but it also provided a growth sector in Paraguay.

Now the story I get from my father-in-law in Paraguay is that a lot of exports that were being shipped to Argentina are not passing the border and there isn't as easy a market to jump to.

el_expatriado said:
...I'm American and I've never heard the phrase "gone beyond a joke" to mean anything other than what it seems to mean on its face... (i.e. no longer funny).

I'm American as well, but I'd heard the phrase before. However, I spent a good amount of time in the UK, and worked with Aussies and Brits and Scots quite a bit over the last couple of decades. I didn't think twice about it when I saw the comment.

Isn't it fun learning about others cultures! :)

scotttswan said:
Go grab your pot and wooden spoon and we'll meet you outside the pink house :D

Bang the drumn slowly....you nver know what will emerge...

scotttswan said:
"We stole their company and blocked their ham imports but they shouldn't be allowed to retaliate! Its so unfair!" :rolleyes:

Yesterday in La Nacion, I saw something about Argentina complaining that the USA won't allow imports of Argentina lemons as well. It's like living in a land governed by barely functional schizophrenics...

ElQueso said:
T
Brasil backed Argentina with something they knew would make at least some of their important trading partners (North America, Europe) somewhat uncomfortable and they are repaid by Argentina implementing trade barriers that hurt Brasil, at least to an extent.

Brasil's not that happy with Argentina.

Brasil is run by a pack of dumbasses left-wing ideologues. They are motivated by the spirit of "third world solidarity" and as long as CFK keeps her anti-colonialist posturing, they will never do anything meaningful against Argentina. These "retaliations" against Argentinean imports are just for show for the domestic audience. In a few weeks, they will quietly lift the barriers and no one will talk about it. They have been doing the same things for over the past 8 years.

Back