Imports, really feeling the pinch now

Gringoboy

Registered
I work in the IT sector (posh name for repairing PC's).
Went to my wholesaler last week for some pretty basic stuff like router switches, keyboards, decent motherboards etc.
'Waiting on customs.................'
Went to get some hand rolling baccy today, all gone. Waiting on customs.
The list goes on and on and those that have are hoarding stuff and selling at premium prices and who can blame them?
The PC accessories are a fundamental part of my business, however I do buy used and rebuild, but that's not the point.
When will these people finally get their collective bums of their seats and do something?
Many businesses are suffering, not to mention the fact that it's now filtering down on to street level.
It's getting beyond a joke right now.

Gringoboy said:
I work in the IT sector (posh name for repairing PC's).
Went to my wholesaler last week for some pretty basic stuff like router switches, keyboards, decent motherboards etc.
'Waiting on customs.................'
Went to get some hand rolling baccy today, all gone. Waiting on customs.
The list goes on and on and those that have are hoarding stuff and selling at premium prices and who can blame them?
The PC accessories are a fundamental part of my business, however I do buy used and rebuild, but that's not the point.
When will these people finally get their collective bums of their seats and do something?
Many businesses are suffering, not to mention the fact that it's now filtering down on to street level.
It's getting beyond a joke right now.

it never was a joke...it is and will effect everyone but that has never stopped the politicians in this country from robbing the people blind..

My husband is in import/export. Since february, for every single deal (import of a container), one has to file a request for permission. Each one my husband filed was granted, his competitor (same product) didn't get one permission. Now this has ended, the last 3 requests for permissions have been rejected. They didnt tell him why. Then he was told to do the government 'a proposition'. He has been working on this 'proposition' for more then 2 weeks now, together with someone who seems to know how this works. There are no rules, nobody knows why this company gets permission and another one doesn't...
Now, all the deals my husband closes have the 'on condition that we get import permission' statement. Even importing with a permission is a risk, as you never know how the customs react. Sometimes a container is stuck in the harbor for days, which costs a fortune.

Of course in this way lots of products aren't coming in (because they don't have or get the permission) or are delayed (for the same reason). Let's hope this gets solved quickly. Everyone in the import business seems to say 'this can't last', let us hope they are right.

Fiasco total!
Good luck to your husband.
Must be like walking through treacle.

In related news...

We are planning to switch from our current Internet provider (Speedy) to Fibertel, which will save us AR150 per month. Have been informed by Fibertel that for now, they can only hook us up to a cable modem connection - no Wifi. The reason? They have run out of wireless modems and are unable to import anymore at this time.

It's kind of sobering to know that even a corporate behemoth like Cablevision can't somehow bribe, con, or smuggle their stock in...

This really puts the 3rd into 3rd world. Stupid decrees that do far more harm than good. In fact, no good will ever come from trade restrictions like these. The bi-polar Queen calls a another bank shot and everyone feels the pain.

ghost said:
This really puts the 3rd into 3rd world. Stupid decrees that do far more harm than good. In fact, no good will ever come from trade restrictions like these. The bi-polar Queen calls a another bank shot and everyone feels the pain.

What's the other option then?

scotttswan said:
Go grab your pot and wooden spoon and we'll meet you outside the pink house :D

Is going to happen earlier without any restrictions.

It's really quite easy, Argentine economy is in general not competive, the very few sectors that are healthy and bring in cash are not enough to overcome the imports if they were not discouraged/banned. It would only lead to massive lay-offs and a even faster eating up of the BCRA reserves.

Cristina is doing most things right to survive another 1,2,3 years, the one after her will be fucked though

scotttswan said:
Go grab your pot and wooden spoon and we'll meet you outside the pink house :D

Will only happen earlier without import restrictions

Back