Inheritance laws

I believe there are also situations under which surviving parents automatically get a portion of real property when someone dies, regardless of how the will may be written.

"VMSmith" said:
I believe there are also situations under which surviving parents automatically get a portion of real property when someone dies, regardless of how the will may be written.
Do you know what the law states in Argentina? It could become important for me to do who I need to represent, the grandmother or also her 2 kids

The poor woman lost a child and a husband and now someone wants to take away her home???
How horrible.....

"Bairesgirl" said:
The poor woman lost a child and a husband and now someone wants to take away her home???
How horrible.....
You don´t understand it correctly because if things work out like I think she becomes very rich instead of very poor
She is not the one who lives in the home in Belgium nor does she receives 50% of the income it generates

"Granadaiscool" said:

Do you know what the law states in Argentina? It could become important for me to do who I need to represent, the grandmother or also her 2 kids
No, I don't know the exact details, but I know it exists because I had to deal with it once. You should see an Argentine lawyer who specializes in such things.

Parents automatically inherit everything (except for 20% that the deceased MAY have willed to someone else. If the deceased has not left a will with instructions regarding the 20% the parents get EVERYTHING) if there is no spouse or children. The point is that in Argentina there is a very clear line of succession and it has to be followed. It's not like the United States where you can leave your money to whomever or whatever you want. Unless you are practically an orphan, you CAN NOT. For some individuals inheritance laws may be an important consideration before deciding to marry and/or settle here. It's strange that it is almost never mentioned.

Back