"Insecurity is just a perception"

I get this all the time from my argentine friends. They all seem to think its much less safe here than I ever seem to feel. I walk around past 3 in the morning. Ive been stuck taking the first train from Ciudadela after wandering out of a party in ramos in the early morning hours.

I know the risk but I dont feel like its that unsafe compared to other places ive been.

Also this maybe neither here nor there but I always feel less safe in recoleta and san telmo than I do in my ´unsafe´ barrio. It might have something to do with the fact that most the people who feel like robbing someone are probably hanging out in the ´safe´ barrios rather than here where there is, on average, a whole lot less to rob.

PhilipDT said:
I get this all the time from my argentine friends. They all seem to think its much less safe here than I ever seem to feel. I walk around past 3 in the morning. Ive been stuck taking the first train from Ciudadela after wandering out of a party in ramos in the early morning hours.

I know the risk but I dont feel like its that unsafe compared to other places ive been.

Also this maybe neither here nor there but I always feel less safe in recoleta and san telmo than I do in my ´unsafe´ barrio. It might have something to do with the fact that most the people who feel like robbing someone are probably hanging out in the ´safe´ barrios rather than here where there is, on average, a whole lot less to rob.

Phillip,

I agree with you that many locals I think ..believe it's more dangerous than us Expats believe it is. I've lived in Recoleta 7 years and I've never once felt unsafe here. I don't care what time it is I've never felt unsafe walking home alone even if it's late. Granted now that I'm married and have kids I don't hang out too late like when I was a bachelor but still.....I find Recoleta to be perfectly safe.

But even here muggings go down. In fact, I'd say sometimes shop keepers and restaurant/hotel workers are probably in on it. I had one client that was having brunch in the Alvear Palace Hotel and immediately after leaving one day he had his Rolex stolen right outside the hotel.

earlyretirement said:
But even here muggings go down. In fact, I'd say sometimes shop keepers and restaurant/hotel workers are probably in on it. I had one client that was having brunch in the Alvear Palace Hotel and immediately after leaving one day he had his Rolex stolen right outside the hotel.
No offense to your client, but if you walk around BA flashing a Rolex, you should pretty much expect to get mugged.

Perhaps we locals feel differently because BA used to be far safer just five years ago, and many of us don't know enough about other cities to draw comparisons.

Personally, I can only compare BA with Washington. There, in a suburban home half an hour's drive from the White House and deep in a 3.4 acre wooded lot, we had no iron bars, no guards, no alarm, and in fact did not even bother locking the front door. While we were in BA the house was left vacant with the cars in the driveway for months at a time, and nothing ever happened.

The only intruders we saw were a group of deer who spent nights at the bottom of our yard.

In San Isidro, I must remember to look both ways before pulling into my driveway, keep doors locked at all times, and pay for the alarm and the private security guard in the corner. Which, by the way, is a totally useless guy who happily sleeps the night away in his booth.

starlucia said:
No offense to your client, but if you walk around BA flashing a Rolex, you should pretty much expect to get mugged.

I totally agree. It doesn't make sense wearing a Rolex in BA. Many people have gotten mugged of theirs. Thieves here love them. The first thing I did before moving here is I sold mine....

We locals learned long ago to wear only stealable watches worth thirty dollars or less.

SaraSara said:
Perhaps we locals feel differently because BA used to be far safer just five years ago, and many of us don't know enough about other cities to draw comparisons.

Personally, I can only compare BA with Washington. There, in a suburban home half an hour's drive from the White House and deep in a 3.4 acre wooded lot, we had no iron bars, no guards, no alarm, and did in fact not even bother locking the front door. While we were in BA the house was left vacant and the car in the driveway for months at a time, and nothing ever happened.

The only intruders we saw were a group of deer who spent nights at the bottom of our yard.

In San Isidro, I must remember to look both ways before pulling into my driveway, keep doors locked at all times, and pay for the alarm and the private security guard in the corner. Which, by the way, is a totally useless guy who happily sleeps the night away in his booth.
I´m local and here 5 years ago. You (& friends) have a biased perception. Even statistics show you wrong. You better go back to D.C.. Respectfully, you´re not worth to be in an undeveloped, dirty, corrupted country like this.

earlyretirement said:
Phillip,

I agree with you that many locals I think ..believe it's more dangerous than us Expats believe it is. I've lived in Recoleta 7 years and I've never once felt unsafe here. I don't care what time it is I've never felt unsafe walking home alone even if it's late. Granted now that I'm married and have kids I don't hang out too late like when I was a bachelor but still.....I find Recoleta to be perfectly safe.

No I´m certainly not saying that its safe or that muggings dont happen. I pretty much agree with you on all points.

gusgutier said:
I´m local and here 5 years ago. You (& friends) have a biased perception. Even statistics show you wrong. You better go back to D.C.. Respectfully, you´re not worth to be in an undeveloped, dirty, corrupted country like this.

Thanks for that friendly suggestion but I'm a local too, and have been back for eleven years, not just five. If you had had read my post more closely you'd have noticed it starts with "WE locals".

So much for my "biased perception"...! .

I'm sorry you don't like to hear it, but the fact is that right now Buenos Aires is not as safe as Washington. I wish it was, but it isn't, and there's no sense in denying the truth. That doesn't mean I don't love my country - it's a simple statement of fact.

The perception of insecurity has increased due to the reality.
Call it what you like....sensation, gut feeling, instinct or perception.
The facts speak for themselves.
In the last 2 years I've been robbed at gunpoint twice in the shop (Olivos), the car has been broken into twice and on Friday we had the spare wheel nicked of the car.
We work very hard to make ends meet; we earn local currency and pay our impuestos...or should I say that the banks do a very nice job of doing part of that for us, but that's another topic.
My sister in law was stopped at lights in Belgrano last week and was robbed at gunpoint. I could go on but the list is almost endless.
As for those jerks who sit in little huts or stand on street corners? Give me a break!
I wouldn't trust any of them to sit the right way round on a WC. There's an old bloke who stands all f***ing day outside the shop next to us. He must be 70 if a day. Poor bugger would either panic or have a heart attack if anything happened.
The perception should be looked at differently.
Many who live in the suburbs have a perception of safety only because of these blokes who sit in their huts. If they weren't there, I can't imagine a turkey shoot by the lowlife.
The security business in this city must be running and laughing all the way to the bank, feeding off the fears of others.
I should really be looking for a career move.

Back