Insecurity Here is Real

ptolemy

Registered
Today we were robbed at gunpoint (as a gun in the face,)-- in our house. The robber came through the front door. The police believe he had key. My wife , nine months pregnant, my son 2 years old, stood by while the thief herded me to another room and demanded the money. Well, I didn't have that much but gave him what I had. (It was a bit tense then.) He then shut us in another room and did a quick rifle through the house and left.
I suppose we are lucky to be alive. And I suppose it's time for us to disinvest in this country. I don't believe it is a good place to raise your children.

Its a bit late now, but you should change at least a lock in your door, you never know who was there before.

ptolemy said:
Today we were robbed at gunpoint (as a gun in the face,)-- in our house. The robber came through the front door. The police believe he had key. My wife , nine months pregnant, my son 2 years old, stood by while the thief herded me to another room and demanded the money. Well, I didn't have that much but gave him what I had. (It was a bit tense then.) He then shut us in another room and did a quick rifle through the house and left.
I suppose we are lucky to be alive. And I suppose it's time for us to disinvest in this country. I don't believe it is a good place to raise your children.

Im really sorry to hear that. Of course its no comfort but you are all safe and alive. Hugs and sympathies...its a matter of destiny nothing more for any of us!

Really sorry to hear that, can you give us some more details, like do you rent, could the key have been given to the criminal by someone you know?

I know it's not the best time to ask these things but when people divulge this informaiton they are helping others to avoide similar situations.

I am genuinely sorry to hear of this incident and hope you never experience anything like this ever again

Some requested details: I live about a block from the Independencia subte, (not the San Telmo side;) yes locks had been changed, don't rent but own; "could the key have been given to the criminal by someone you know?" sure, it could have been someone I know but that doesn't help.

I've been taken around at gunpoint and its not funny, I can't start to imagine how it feels to have that happen with your family.
Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Guillo said:
I've been taken around at gunpoint and its not funny, I can't start to imagine how it feels to have that happen with your family.
Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Ptolemy, Like Guillo I have been threatened with a weapon. I have been robbed on the street at knife point in Quito. It was an ordeal I will never forget. I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been to be robbed in your own home in front of your wife and small child. I am so sorry that this happened to you all.

ptolemy said:
Today we were robbed at gunpoint (as a gun in the face,)-- in our house. The robber came through the front door. The police believe he had key.

I think it's a good idea to have an extra steel or brass sliding "dead bolt" that mounts on the inside of the door (going into the floor) that can be engaged from the inside when you are inside your house or apartment. It can also help prevent someone from kicking in the door, even if they have a key. It's not too late to install one, even though you've already been robbed.

I always leave my keys in the door: fully locked but turned back by 1/4 turn. That way no one else can insert a key from the outside and I don't have to spend a lot of time trying to find my keys whenever I want to leave. Renters who can't add a lock can at least do this.

ptolemy said:

I hope you don't condemn the entire country. I feel much safer away from the Capital (near Bahia Blanca), and I'm as happy as everyone else that no one was physically harmed today.

Back