Internet Disfunctional Now

arlean

Registered
For whomever was complaining a few days or more ago about Fibertel being so slow--I can't find the thread so don't know where it was but this morning I am completely unable to work. It has been slowing down every day but this morning it's nearly nonfunctional.

I thought maybe I had a virus, checked that, checked spy programs, all was well, so I got out my netbook. The netbook has all the same problems. So it isn't a problem with my computer. I can't even open email messages this morning on Yahoo. I can click on whatever I want and the cursor just sits there and spins. If I let it spin long enough it might open something. But I can't do all that waiting.

Well now let's see. I have no gas, i.e., no way to cook, no hot water for showers, no heat in the apartment. And now the Internet doesn't want to work. Hmmmm . . . .

Just letting interested people know that whille it was fine when others were complaining, Fibertel is not working for me either now.

Are you connected straight to your modem or going through a third party router? Using wires or wifi?

For whomever was complaining a few days or more ago about Fibertel being so slow--I can't find the thread so don't know where it was but this morning I am completely unable to work. It has been slowing down every day but this morning it's nearly nonfunctional.

I thought maybe I had a virus, checked that, checked spy programs, all was well, so I got out my netbook. The netbook has all the same problems. So it isn't a problem with my computer. I can't even open email messages this morning on Yahoo. I can click on whatever I want and the cursor just sits there and spins. If I let it spin long enough it might open something. But I can't do all that waiting.

Well now let's see. I have no gas, i.e., no way to cook, no hot water for showers, no heat in the apartment. And now the Internet doesn't want to work. Hmmmm . . . .

Just letting interested people know that whille it was fine when others were complaining, Fibertel is not working for me either now.
Once become a citizen your internet privileges are revolked. I'll bet you missed that part.

Iznogud, I'm connected directly to the modem on my desktop. The netbook operates on Wi-Fi. Both are the same. Fibertel has been great ever since I got rid of Antel and got Fibertel. But not now!

And Ghost I love your humor. I guess that IS the part I missed. You get citizenship, your gas in your apartment gets cut off, then the Internet quits.

Scary isn't it?

P.S. I can get to Facebook and BAexpats. I don't know why. I have three email accounts and I haven't been able to get into any of them until about 10 minutes ago Yahoo opened. Nothing else will. I just look at that wheel spinning.

I was the one moaning recently: http://baexpats.org/topic/27548-fibertel-throttling-is-it-just-me/

It's been reasonable since I changed the mac address on the router (but it seems that my setup was unusual in that I could do that).

On a related note: I invested in one of these the other day. I didn't look too much into the details, but if I understand correctly it'll allow me to pool both arnet & fibertel into one connection, while at the same time giving me a kind of vpn to wherever they have their servers. Sounds like the answer to all my problems tbh (but obviously very early days yet)

It's weird actually.
I've got a customer with Fibertel who has been unable to open La Nacion.
He then takes the very same laptop to a cafe round the corner and opens La Nacion via their wifi Arnet signal.
He phones Fibertel on numerous occasions, they acknowledge the problem very vaguely but offer no solution.
If it's any help, the only conclusion I have so far is that the PC's in question are not at fault.
I'm still investigating.

Thanks, Bricky, Duly noted for later reference.

Right now I'm going to Chile as soon as I can. I mean by this weekend, and staying gone for 3 months. If I still don't have gas, probably I'll be leaving. Enough if enough.

Gringoboy, your Fibertel customer sounds about like me. I can come here, no problem. Facebook, no problem. A friend sent me a link to some real estate--can't go there. Just won't do it. I was able to get into Yahoo in the last hour but it won't open any emails, but it shows me what is there. Things are looking up, I guess. It wouldn't even do that before.

When I first came here I was warned about Internet and told that people in business who need it usually have both so when one is down the other might till work. I asked my real estate people if they do that. The answer is no but she has a different company in each place so if one doesn't work, she works in the other.

@arlean: in your position I think I'd be doing the same.

Do you have any kind of vpn facility you could use? If you could make a vpn connection (to basically anywhere that isn't fibertel) then it would likely resolve the routing issue.

(not a very easy solution granted, but I'm always surprised by the number of expats who do use vpns daily)

Back