Internet Disfunctional Now

After all that great help y'all gave me I forgot to come back and report. My Internet problems passed. No need to use TOR now. All is well. That hint about using TOR really was a life saver though. Amazing the nuances of technology.

When I was staying in a nice but very temporary rental our internet dropped out completely for three days. Numerous calls to the company and they kept saying it would be fixed by that afternoon. Eventually a guy came and and unscrewed a little panel in the hallway, plugged in our cable and we were connected once again... Pretty sure somebody must have come down, plugged themselves in and stolen our internet for a few days knowing the company would take forever to send someone out

My Fibertel internet problems have also stopped (for now anyway) - worked perfectly all week.

And today Fibertel seems to be causing a problem with Messages in the Mac logging into Google Talk and Jabber clients. I connect to the VPN and everything works great. This is really getting old.

This is interesting, i initially just glossed over it but looking closer it is basically line bonding to one of their servers.

With separate connections you have multiple options.

1: Use them separately. (you connect to one at a time.) This gives you a backup connection if one goes down but doesn't use both connections at the same time.

2: Load Balance. (I bought one of these http://listado.merca...com.ar/Tl-r470t but you could just as easily use an old pc with linux to do it.) This is basically set-up to split connections over both lines so that if 1 person is maxing out one line watching youtube or something the router will route other traffic through the other line.

3: Bonding through VPN. This is what that kickstarter does in hardware, i presume they limit the connection so it can only connect to their VPN. If anyone with 2 network cards fancies it all you need to do is setup a VPS to bond the connections for you and instant fat pipe!
The TL-R470T+ can connect via L2TP so it may be possible to use it too, i'll be giving it a wee go later at some point.

http://www.zeroshell.org/ is a nice ready made Linux OS, if you can find a company setting up VPS's with it.
you can watch someone doing it on youtube here
Added bonus is that if you get a VPS in the UK you can stream BBC or a US VPS and you can stream the US ones.

Have you tried it yet? Does it work reliably?

Have you tried it yet? Does it work reliably?
not yet, been to busy with other stuff but the load balancing works great once its setup.

I'll probably fire up a cheap amazon box at some point and give it a go.

Back