Internet Disfunctional Now

I heard Telecentro was down for several days. I have an Arnet in our temp rental and it's been shoddy for the past few days, cutting out every few minutes... impossible. I thought Fibertel was our last and only hope (when we move into our hypothetical long-term rental and get to choose our own) but maybe I was mistaken!! Are there ANY other (reliable haha) providers?!

Well now let's see. I have no gas, i.e., no way to cook, no hot water for showers, no heat in the apartment. And now the Internet doesn't want to work. Hmmmm . . . .

You get what you pay for. What kind of creepy building it must be to be devoid of these normal necessities of life. #shudder#

Bricky, I think if I used the VPN solution you described I would have to have both Fibertel and another company, right? I don't have that but I plan to leave this weekend anyway.

I don't know how many will remember I was burglarized about four months ago, then told no gas for three months (but people here on the forum told me "if you're lucky.") They are moving mighty slow, so far replacing the lines in the hallway on Planta Baja. Now the Internet. I'm thinking maybe I'm at the wrong place at the wrong time. And it's only been a few months since I was without Internet for three months until I changed to Fibertel. Fibertel has been really good so far--until now.

Is this normal? I had three very good, uneventful years though before all this started. I think I'm making up for lost time.

@arlean: yeah, you'd probably need to pay for any kind of a fast one. Tor (as Gringoboy suggest) would work too, but it's pretty slow for everyday stuff.
I was just suggesting it b/c you might already have one (lots of expats use one for watching TV and such), but it's not worth setting one up now if not.

re the gas issue: We have a potential issue in the building here, and everyone (that's everyone who knows - i.e. not me) is terrified that that the gas company might get a whiff of it (see what I did there?!) b/c we'd be without gas for "5 or 6 months" if they cut us off. So, based on that only, "if you're lucky" part of what you're saying sounds about right.

Just for fun I'm going to mention I can get this page but not Page 2. I was reading it and it suddenly said Server cannot be found. But yet I can get to Page 1 (which is this one). I'll see if it posts. I have no idea why I can get here, but not to page 2.

The Google DNS servers is a good idea.
As an alternative the OpenDNS servers usually work pretty well:

As an add-on they allow you to optionally create an account to let you select certain types of sites you want to block (for example known phishing sites, sites with x-rated content, etc.).

There is definitely some weirdness with Fibertel that last few days. Certain sites load quickly while others are slow. LogMeIn.com has had numerous problems and I use it all the time. Also, Spotify streaming has been spotty which has never happened before.

I've been using Google DNS and both ethernet and WiFi, so I'm not quite sure what the issue is. Speedtest shows decent results to the US too.

Back