Is A Violent Insurrection Ever Morally Defensible?

LostinBA

Registered
Recently, the monster Videla called for an uprising against CFK and her cronies. It got alot of press in Europe and particularly in Spain that were in wasn't for maverick judges like Baltasar Garzon, other reprehensible persons like Pinochet would have peacefully passed away in his rented West London mansion.

This is something I've pondered for a long time now. I guess it's a philosophical question so I'm calling out all you philosophers and pseudo-philosophers to chime in.

Would it have been morally defensible to rise up against and murder Hitler even though the vast majority of German society loved and idolized him?

Would it be morally defensible to overthrow an elected government bent on changing the constitution of the country to remain in power perpetually and "democratize" the judiciary in order to obliterate one of the pillars of any true democracy?

Sometimes a revolution is the only thing that's left to restore justice.

What one has to be careful of is that the violence isn't being provoked by leaders with selfish motives. There's nothing defensible about replacing one tyrant with another or causing a revolution just to put yourself (or your friends) in power. Unfortunately that's a common tale in South America. Outside meddlers aren't to be trusted too much either.

Hitler should have been stopped before things got out of hand, but fear is a powerful emotion and deterrent. My grandfather grew up in during the Spanish Civil War and the hard times that preceded and followed. He did not allow any talk of politics - he'd "shh" you and then whisper something about the neighbors overhearing. He grew up during a time where it was feared if you criticized the government, they'd come looking for you. My husband's father was hounded here in Argentina during the dictatorship for suspicion of being a communist. Government agents would come to his home and interrogate him. Oppressive governments can be very scary - during those times most people just do what they have to to survive.

Good question LostinBA. I'm no philosopher, but I would say violent insurrection is morally defencible.

Quite apart form the examples you cite, history is littered with 'we the people' taking action against repressive regimes be they foreign or domestic. One of my great heroes, Nelson Mandela, vowed to carry on the armed struggle against the apartheid regime in Pretoria upon release from prison. It worked, albeit through more peaceful means, although the threat/promise of further voilence proved to be a valuable tool in the demise of white only power.

It is unfortunate that Vidella has raised his rather ugly voice again. But I should imagine that for the foresseable future he will be rather preoccupied with his new trial than to be concered with any revolution against CFK and Co. As much as some don't like the current Argentine government here I feel that any guillotine action will take place at the ballot box. As for Vidella, we can only hope that he trips on his bar of soap on his way to the prison bathroom one morning!

It's always a bad idea to pick up the soap in a prison bathroom.
Old Chinese proverb.

I think the issue with applying this question in a real-world scenario is being able to see the beast that is inside you (in the moment). Self-reflection isn't exactly an overwhelming characteristic of human beings. That's why hindsight is 20/20.

I have spoken with elderly Germans who were members of the military in WWII. Yes, they are appalled at what happened, especially with regard to their extermination policies, but when pressed will tell you that the propaganda machine is a hard thing to escape. In my own experience I think this had a great deal to do with the US attacking and overthrowing Iraq. The US was still reeling from 911 and we needed some way to vent this anger. Saddam was a good target. I got caught up in that fever as well and fully supported our invasion, and I went. Some will argue that we went because of oil, but that is a State Policy question, and had nothing to do with the grass-roots support that the USA gave to the President.

Looking back on it I don't think we had any justifiable cause to go. Iraq wasn't really a threat to our interests and, in fact, was an effective counter-balance to lran. We eliminated almost the one good thing we had going for us in that region. Now, Iran's regional power has escalated and it was our fault.

Back to the question posed vis-a-vis Argentina, though I have serious issues with many of this government's policies I can't see any justification for violence. Say CFK get's support for changing the constitution and get's "President for life." That, in and of it-self, isn't unjust. It puts the country at serious peril regarding economic growth and other social and political factors but it isn't a moral issue.

However, power corrupts. You know the rest.

"Is A Violent Insurrection Ever Morally Defensible?"

I don't think anyone is going to say no to this. If the question had been "Is a violent insurrection morally defensible in a democratically elected government" then you would get a lot of no's.

But not me. Even in a democratically elected government, there is a question of degree. Do the moneyed interests still pull all the levers behind the scenes? If yes then it is time to man the barricades.

The army has the duty to make sure the argentine constitution is respected

In case its not lthe army has every right to intervene

The army has the duty to make sure the argentine constitution is respected

In case its not lthe army has every right to intervene

Where in the constitution is this right granted to the army and what constitutes disrepect? This is a terrible attitude to have, the electorate have the right to ensure the constitution is respected, the military have no role in legal matters regarding the constitution in any modern democracy. Like it or not the current govt has the popular mandate which only the electorate can remove. In respect to current moves against the judges I can suggest that if people dont like it to get out in the streets and protest, and vote this year.

I think the issue with applying this question in a real-world scenario is being able to see the beast that is inside you (in the moment). Self-reflection isn't exactly an overwhelming characteristic of human beings. That's why hindsight is 20/20.

I have spoken with elderly Germans who were members of the military in WWII. Yes, they are appalled at what happened, especially with regard to their extermination policies, but when pressed will tell you that the propaganda machine is a hard thing to escape. In my own experience I think this had a great deal to do with the US attacking and overthrowing Iraq. The US was still reeling from 911 and we needed some way to vent this anger. Saddam was a good target. I got caught up in that fever as well and fully supported our invasion, and I went. Some will argue that we went because of oil, but that is a State Policy question, and had nothing to do with the grass-roots support that the USA gave to the President.

Looking back on it I don't think we had any justifiable cause to go. Iraq wasn't really a threat to our interests and, in fact, was an effective counter-balance to lran. We eliminated almost the one good thing we had going for us in that region. Now, Iran's regional power has escalated and it was our fault.

Back to the question posed vis-a-vis Argentina, though I have serious issues with many of this government's policies I can't see any justification for violence. Say CFK get's support for changing the constitution and get's "President for life." That, in and of it-self, isn't unjust. It puts the country at serious peril regarding economic growth and other social and political factors but it isn't a moral issue.

However, power corrupts. You know the rest.

Bush's "grass-roots support" for invading Iraq was built a on base of Astroturf lies.

Back