Is Argentina on the verge of another crisis?

Markgeezer said:
When its bursts (again) the pickings will be very worthwhile for those expats who live here.

Are you sure of this?

Do you really believe that expats will be able to buy apartments and food with dollars and euros that are only so much paper...just like the peso?

Markgeezer said:
Land is the best investment in Argentina. USD yes, Euros are not the best currency right now.

I agree if you mean land that can produce food or support livestock (as opposed to an apartment in Capital Federal).

But does a "crisis" in Argeneina necessairly mean that productive land will become cheaper for foreigners to purchase (even if they have dollars)?

No I was not talking about Cap Fed apartments, but any productive land or plots of land that can be used for building on. The peso will collapse against the USD again, as it did in May 1989 and Dec 2001; in the last of these events, this type of property was devalued by 4/1 upwards. Larger properties tend also to get divided up by desperate families, often to pay off debts. I expect that to happen again, and then ONLY cash USD will rule.

Markgeezer said:
No I was not talking about Cap Fed apartments, but any productive land or plots of land that can be used for building on. The peso will collapse against the USD again, as it did in May 1989 and Dec 2001; in the last of these events, this type of property was devalued by 4/1 upwards. Larger properties tend also to get divided up by desperate families, often to pay off debts. I expect that to happen again, and then ONLY cash USD will rule.

USDs may not buy you a quart of goats milk if hungry families are desperate and no one is building (anything)and paper money won't buy anything.

Only neighbors with meat and/or seeds and vegetables to trade will be able survive and "enjoy" the life they are used to living.

va2ba said:
As long as I have been on this forum, people have been predicting that the next economic crisis in Argentina was just around the corner.
I think most people are expecting it. It certainly looks like we are close, or that we might already be in the beginning of a crisis, but Argentina has surprised us before...
--------------------

I agree with va2ba that it's very easy to predict doom & gloom and say the sky is falling here in Argentina, but somehow we/they will survive. But at what cost?

Even though I'm a newbie with only 2.5 years here, I think about some combination of the following occurring...

- continued 20-30% inflation combined with occasional steep depreciation of the peso (in spite of Central Bank interventions)

- shortages, inconveniences and transit strikes/breakdowns, but those with income-investments in dollars won't suffer nearly as much as those w/o

- housing flat, since already dollarized

- a tougher life for the poor and middle-class, leading to vicious circle of misery-crime-unemployment-cheaper labor-misery. Sadly, much suffering.

- ?another corralito/freeze on bank-held assets, especially dollar accounts, to prevent bank runs?

- when the pendulum swings, a possible stronger role for the military-conservative factions and a partial opening up of dollar restrictions and imports, (albeit still expensive for most Argentines), however international dollar/euro transfer mechanisms remain constipated.

- what else?

Jim

JamesKTusa said:
- what else?

Jim

Move to the country, but only if you are willing and able to grow your own food.

I thought having chickens and goats would be boring.

I was wrong. :p

"If I remember what I read there was a time when Argentina had an inflation over 350% or so (old currency)?"

Annual inflation actually topped 4000% in the late 80s....bananas!

(citation: http://bit.ly/A7IcPU)

"If I remember what I read there was a time when Argentina had an inflation over 350% or so (old currency)?"

Inflation actually topped 4000% in the late 80s...bananas!

citation: http://bit.ly/A7IcPU

Back