Is it all that bad? Please say it isn't!

I can honestly say that one of the luckiest, greatest things to happen to me in my life, is that i didn't discover this forum until 6 months after i already moved to bs as.

I already loved this city before i was exposed to the negativity

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/5607-securing-your-bag-restaurants.html

It is often simple precautions like these that make the difference between becoming or not becoming a victim of petty crime.[/quote]

Totally agree..and how I wish I knew this as a green arrival in 2003. Funnily enough my very street smart best friend from Mexico city forgot herself one day when we were having coffee and chatting whilst her handbag was on the back of her chair. She was eyeing up some strange looking characters who came into the cafe but forgot about them until she saw them leaving and realized her bag was missing. She left the cafe (with me begging her not to, marched up to the guy and girl, demand her f**ing bag back, which she got and returned to finish her coffee. Lesson: People from Mexico city sometimes feel overly safe in Bsas...and never letting your guard down ie being aware (if not paranoid) will help keep you safe in Bsas.

I have been robbed at gun point at 4am twice...and its the first story i tell friends when i get back home

3. Having a good income makes a major difference

You should keep in mind that a good portion (if not the majority) of the posters here are economically privileged in the extreme, though some might disagree with me. A recent posting on here suggested a single guy would need $3,000 US a month to live comfortably in the city. Personal friends who are public school teachers and government agents earn less than 1/3 that amount and get by just fine. Even crooked cops that take bribes in the neighborhood usually don't get more than $2k. It's worth noting that none of my expat or local friends make that much money, send their kids to private schools or live in gated communities. In general, the "lifestyle" you'll see here does not reflect the lifestyle of the average argentinian. (Though this could very well describe your situation should you come).

6. But also: it's not a great, great city... I feel more 'like' than 'love'.

Respectfully, here you're just wrong. BA is not a "like" city, it is a "love/hate" city, like many things in Argentina.

1. It's relatively safe (shit happens, but not excessively)
And non-violent. If your wallet gets stolen you won't be stabbed. You should also know that local newspapers and TV stations (often for political reasons) sensationalize crime in the extreme, which translates to middle-class and upper-class Argentinians worrying about it, which translates to posters here worrying about it.

*Other things.

Argentina is amazing to children. Expect strangers to chat up your 2 yr old, and maybe even pick her up and kiss her on the head without asking approval. Shopkeepers (and sometimes total strangers) will give them candy without asking permission. Kids are welcome everywhere and treated like royalty. Kids and families abound in public spaces, plazas, fairs, etc. Locals will try to obliterate any healthy dietary habits they have.

Argentina has a lot of racism and poverty. It can be hard to watch kids with their families going through garbage on the street, especially in a country with so many natural resources. You will also note that extreme poverty and extreme wealth can be talked about 99% of the time in terms of skin color. There is very little talk about addressing widespread poverty, less action, and almost zero public dialogue about racism. (The Dutch company Nidera was busted for maintaining farmworkers in slave conditions just over a year ago, 100% of the workers were dark-skinned).

Learning to speak spanish well opens myriad cultural/friendship doors that simply don't exist in an english-based BA environment. Your family would do well to start studying spanish before leaving. Argentinians are very welcoming and generous with foreigners, but you will be treated differently if you can manage the language well.

I would agree with others that you should visit before making the move. I would add that you should have some sort of plan to get back if it doesn't work out. Argentina might change extraordinarily in the next 5 years.

In relation to security and safety, if you live in a what is considered a more pleasant neighbourhood and are cautious, perhaps you can avoid a lot of the incidents that seem to happen. Having said that, for safety I would think perhaps Madrid or Barcelona is a fair comparison (however pickpocketing and petty theft is less common here from what I know)?

I politely disagree, as in BA some of the more atrocious crimes have happened in ¨pleasant¨ neighborhoods and even ¨countries¨ (country club like suburban neighbourhoods.

A Recoleta address does not guarantee absolute safety. An Once address doesnt mean you are going to get mugged every week, either.
Further, I do not think it is an accurate or fair portrayal to compare BA's crime scene with any city, as in my opinion (I have lived in large cities in both the US and Europe) it is quite unique in its own way.

There is crime, and quite a lot of it, but this is also a very large city in (gasp) a third-world country which still, contrary to what the current administration tells us, has many people living in conditions which none of us ex pats could ever imagine, and guess what?

That new Blackberry you just whipped out in the subte? It could be worth more than the amount of money someone lives on for a 3 month period.

Sure is tempting for the thieves. My point is that there is everything. Usually by using ¨big city common sense¨ that you would use in just about any large major city, most of these things can be avoided. But yes, there are professionals (there is indeed a convention held in BA for these) who will getcha no matter what.

I love BA, thankfully nothing bad has happened to me aside from 1 case of petty thievary, but I must say that the lack of follow-up and seriousness from law enforcement makes it frustrating and uneasy when there is a crime to get any results. This is why, unless they are required to do so for insurance purposes, most people don't even bother reporting small crimes, robberies, etc, because they know the police will not do much and it will add insult to injury and be a waste of time.

It is certainly not like Madrid or Barcelona, as in these cities, thanks to Spain's strict gun control laws, murders or even armed robberies (with the exception of knives perhaps) are extremely rare and when a murder does occur it is usually talked about for years, making Spain (aside from rampant pick pockets and a lot of petty thievary) quite safe.

In BA, apparently Ricardo Fort (local Argentine celeb) feels unsafe going to the Hard Rock Café for a drink on his own. :)

Lee..... I can only say that.. You are one sexy gay man..and i have met you before and if u ever leave your latino bf look no further for someone that can make u happy and cook

Back