Is it all that bad? Please say it isn't!

Bebero... would you agree that the local governments/police statistics on crime..are more than likely...wrong?
Could I get you to think out of the box far enough...to feel comfortable in the theory that when a whole society (100% BsAs) does not feel comfortable wearing anything of value (bling) having a computer, phone, car keys or car in the open... and has gates on all their windows...for often the 1st 6 or 7 floors of a building...sometimes even higher... that maybe....just maybe... 50% have been victim of crime? Thats really the point ...isn't it?

For what it's worth, I'm 26 and lived here since I was 1 year old (minus 4 years I went to college in the USA). Was born in Canada, have a 100% Canadian mother ... I consider myself more Argentine, but I guarantee if put in a lineup with most of the people in this forum, I'll be picked out as the 'gringo' (red hair, very light skin with blue eyes).

This being said, I am conscious I look like a tourist, but after so many years here I've been to some very sketchy places in and around the city, concerned I'd be mugged just because I look I must be carrying dollars or something.

However, I've never been so much as pick pocketed or even threatened on the street. I have friends who have, though ... I also have friends who live in the USA and have also been mugged, stabbed, etc.

The reality is that yes, crime is a bigger concern here than in other places, but whenever someone is planning a trip here and ask for advice, all I say is just be aware of your surroundings and be smart about what you're doing, wearing, where you're going and who you're with ... things you'd do anywhere else (or maybe I'd do anywhere else because I grew up here ... but isn't this the kind of stuff you tell your kids?).

Another thing I learned, is not to trust statistics ... as someone said in this thread, you can't trust the statistics the government public ... but no way is 50% accurate.

There is a very strong tendency on this forum to get into the same discussion on the level of crime and the chances to get involved and bla bla bla.

Somebody claims it's all very manageable, another guy was robbed and gets a little agitated by this, a third one throws in statistics and a fourth one starts doubting the statistics.

And here you go again. Endlessly, since there's obviously no objective truth to the whole phenomena. For those who consider this useless exercise fun, have a blast. But I doubt the fun-factor is really high on this one. In that case, why do it all the time?

Maybe take in consideration that it scares people of. Many come to this forum to get an idea of living conditions in BA. You really have to invest in a lot of reading to get beyond the first impression that crime must be a major problem, since halve the forum is dedicated to it.

I think it's safe to conclude that the chances to encounter crime on this forum are multiple times higher than the chances to encounter it on the streets. In general!

Too many people are creating a climate of fear about crimes in Buenos Aires mixing hearsay as facts . I do agree that there is a higher chance of being pickpocketed and robbed here than many countries and certainly you must be aware of your possessions. Keeping a low profile is a must and this goes for all of South America and not just Buenos Aires .

Saying all that senseless crimes are less likely to happen in Argentina than USA or Australia for that matter . I feel much more safe walking around Palermo Soho or Barrio Norte at night than I ever did walking around Inner city Sydney where drunken yobs are everywhere and ready to pick a fight for no reason .

When I was in the USA I was hassled and robbled on the street and this was in broad daylight in San Francisco by an african american gang .

In the areas I mentioned above I have never once seen gangs of youths with distinct names . In Australia and the USA this culture is prevalent and makes a walk on the streets a most unpleasant experience.

Buenos Aires is imho one of the most pleasant cities in the world for walking and even at night you will see many woman and men walking alone on the streets . Yes you must take precautions but with some common sense you will be safe and sound.

The issue is very important to people who fell victim to it, so they obviously feel very strongly about it (from their point of view, its a 100% thing). People that didn't have any problem with safety, probably don't feel as strongly and this end up shaping the discussions (between people that had problems).
I lack any stats to give any meaningful argument about that other than my own personal perception...but I do know that I live in the suburbs and I haven't been mugged or robbed in years. Ok, I'm local so I am at an advantage, but it always comes down to being aware of your surroundings.
One thing is for sure: you can't waltz around BA without paying attention and showing off valuable electronics on the street, but I'd guess that its probably the case in most big cities.

Well, the grass is always greener on the other side. Many of my Argentine friends are dieing to come live in either the States or Europe, hell dieing even to get a visa to just come visit, drool longingly at my mention of being able to walk into Apple on Michigan Avenue and leave with as many Iphones as I can afford, and look at me like I am mentally challenged for being in BA by choice when I could be living and working in either the States or Europe, while some of them (namely some of the infamous Porteños) scoff at the thought of even leaving Argentina. Like most things, it all depends on your personal situation and what living in a city means to YOU. I know people who are miserable living in NYC penthouses. I know people who are thrilled living in huts in Thailand. My personal 2 cents specifically in regards to BA: It is probably the most European of all countries in Latin America, and with that comes advantages (it is safer than say, Mexico City or Lima, for instance) and disadvantages (one of the most expensive places in Latin America today) Earning in a foreign currency such as US dollar I would say is a must, as generally, posts that are well-paid elsewhere, here (lawyers, for example) do not pay anywhere near their foreign counterparts. If you have invested a lot in your education and/or are still up to your neck in student loan debt, it doesn't feel very good to move somewhere where you earn in a professional-grade position what some good cleaning ladies back home make. But it's all relative, isnt it? Also, again generally speaking that is, earning in a foreign currency also helps in terms of combating inflation because your currency has a stronger purchase power. I am not saying that earning in pesos and living in BA is impossible, as obviously it is what the locals do, however, coming from having lived all of your life in a place where you are used to certain comoditites and the possibility of consuming and buying as you please, it is very hard to make the adjustment. My ex felt that on his meagar peso salary he lived very well in BA, but that is because this is the mind-set that he was used to all of his life, it was one where he did not do the kind of consuming (eating out, shopping, trips, car payment, etc) that we routinely do and deem normal in Europe and the States. All that said, money is not everything and yes, the city does offer a myriad of things to do for very little money, and is still an enjoyable place which can be ¨done¨ for relatively cheap compared to other large cities, but comparing a city like BA to London for example, is unrealistic in just about any category. This is why BA has a huge following in the genre of young Boho chic travelers who think of themselves as ex pats but leave in a year, who dont mind spending $400-$500 for a sub-standard, sparsely furnished room for the promise of a good time (which you will have in BA) until they find the next best thing. However, coming down with a family and with the intent of staying longer, like most things and most places, you will still need ¨taca taca¨ and plenty of it to do things like rent an apartment in a safe, nice area in the city and provide for a family.

As a friend once said about statistics - they are like bikinis..... What they hide is more interesting than what they reveal.

John.St said:
As for the crime rate, this is what you can expect as an expat living here for some years.

http://baexpats.org/expat-life/5805-crime-bsas-anyone.html

There is, however, a large spread depending on where you live and move around, and an important dependency on how StreetSmart you are.

Note that 121 persons have been victims of 191 crimes, while 122 haven't been victims at all.

I have been living in Argentina for half of the year for 8 years. I have family here so I have a large support group. The other part of the year I live in the States and spend time in Italy where I have more family.
I truly enjoy Argentina since I am accustomed to the culture since I have lived in Italy in the past and I find alot of comparisons to the family values and culture of both of these countries. If you have been on holiday in Italy then you will understand the comparisons.
Since you will be working here and able to set up your home in a nice area then you will truly enjoy the experience. There are many lovely neighborhoods which are family friendly. There are many good schools here.
For holidays, you have all of Argentina and South America to experience.
I would not hesitate to make the move here.

RicardoBA said:
I have been living in Argentina for half of the year for 8 years. I have family here so I have a large support group. The other part of the year I live in the States and spend time in Italy where I have more family.

Must be rough!

bebero said:
Nop, I'm not saying that. I don't know why you understood that. I'm saying that someone randomly said "you have 50% chance of being a victim", and that's a made up statistic.
It is not made up, but based on a poll among the members on BAexpats: http://baexpats.org/expat-life/5805-crime-bsas-anyone.html

This kind of poll is not solid statistics, but it gives an indication of what to expect, if you live in BsAs for some years and "stick out" as a foreigner.

Back