Is returning to the USA really desirable?

joemama said:
This thread goes to prove the inherent negativity of most people on this forum. Walmart is perhaps the polar opposite of Buenos Aires.

Walmart USA = cheap everything PARA TODOS. Including everyday goods like diapers, milk, and lightbulbs. Mostly due to the *incredibly awesome* liberal, duty-free US import policy.

Easy/Jumbo = SUPER expensive everything. Diapers = 2x cost. TVs like 4x cost.

Bashing Walmart is bashing an increased standard of living for the average person.

HOW DARE WALMART LEVERAGE AN EFFECTIVE (AND CHEAP) SUPPLY CHAIN!!!!

I agree, although there are some downsides to the Walmart model. Yeah there are some fat slobs that shop there but the market has voted by making it by far the largest retailer in the world. Now for those that believe its beneath them to hang out with the common folk I suggest they stick to the high end retailers, some of which of course are finding it difficult to make a go of it these days. There they can probably find all the pretentious and arrogant people they can handle and enjoy a reduced standard of living by paying to much for their purchases.

Am I the only one who still thinks (and as Steve himself said) that Steve started this thread as a freakin' joke?

As for those high and mighty who would "never set foot on Walmart or McDonald's", are you guys serious? What is so wrong about Walmart that you think, "oh yeah, I avoid rundown brothels, stinky strip clubs and that abomination of desolation called Walmart!" Gee, get off your high horses. Last time I checked, you weren't lording over peasants left, right and center.

I get the point about McDonald's, it's unhealthy. But its not BELOW anyone to go eat there. If someone goes there, it doesn't mean they're "the scum of the earth". I've eaten at McDonald's countless times (and regretted it at times, not always). Didn't think it was below me. But hey, what do I know, I might just be a freakin' peasant to you Kings and Queens.

Adios_USA said:
Screw walmart & those who support their small business destroying practices. Now there are more than 10,000 of these monstrosities world wide and every where they crop up atleast a dozen small businesses go under. How will these people survive?

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/the-sharp-sudden-decline-of-americas-middle-class-20120622

When you posted the above, I went to the link to see proof of how Walmart destroyed small business. You know, why else would you provide the link to something? But oh no! You just want to make an emotional statement with "oh look! I hate Walmart, and I assume if they're providing cheap products to consumers then they must be destroying small business, ergo, they force people to sleep in their cars...let me prove it to you that people are sleeping in their cars with the link that I provide!!! Doesn't it prove how evil Walmart is?!!"

Nice. Very nice.

The hegemony of 'the market' is not something i'd use a a good indicator of quality, or even price, just the success of marketing and dominance of a particular model for budget retailing / food services.

Purely in food terms (since we're talking around eating / bodysize) both companies represent the export of industrialising food production with a focus on profit before quality. Essentially finding ways to produce cheap goods and sell in a repeatable manner with little or no joy, passion or 'soul' in the whole sorry cycle.

Walmart / Mchorrible = driving local companies out of the market, centralising and industrialising production and supply chain, remove skill and innovation from the majority of employment available. What is the effect on small local suppliers who want to focus on cheap / quality goods outside of the low value / low quality macdonalds or walmart model ? Yeah, I think we know...goods / raw materials are sourced from large scale producers where price is the key factor (see replacement of sugar with HFCS for example) and where the opportunity to produced unnatural processed crap is feverishly exploited for the sake of a profit.

The patronising nonsense being peddled here seems to be that the poor ol folks of whereever should be awfully glad they can buy some reconstitued cartilage, bones and HFCS coated 'bread-like' horribleness to eat for a price deemed cheap. Yeah, well I've never been anywhere in the world outside of the US were macdonalds or walmart are actually the cheapest food products available. I seem to be able to source a local alternative which didn't have to be shipped half way round the world to sell by buying natural ingredients and making actual food rather than some nutrient free muck.

Walmart, outside of the US, is not the 'common folk' - it's an environmental disaster leveraging exploitative supply chain practices to drive local alternatives out of the market. Winner takes all, cheerio local little guy.

I recommend you all watch 'The Men Who Made the World Fat' to understand the practices the US food industry has exported the world in the name of profiteering. Eat natural food, buy local ingredients let the processed cr4p produced by the likes of Walmart rot....although it's so pumped full of chemicals it will take years to decompose : )

Good that a few people remembered the original post was a joke, too bad its heading off in a couple of unpleasant tangents.

I admit that one of my occassional guilty pleasures over the past 5 years has been visiting the People of Walmart website. Its not the obesity that amuses me, but rather some of the crazy fashion choices:) But on the subject of obesity, its a growing problem in Argentina. There are a number of global studies and a few done here in Argentina in the last 10 years that illustrate how quickly Argentinians are upsizing. You can go find them easily enough, here's a Forbes article from 5 years ago: http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds-fattest-countries-forbeslife-cx_ls_0208worldfat_2.html. My annecdotal experience is consistent, every time I head to capital federal I see more and more large folks than on previous visits and I see it up here in the north too. People who don't have a lot of money end up eating too many cheap carbohydrates like pasta, bread, potatoes, and rice, and not enough high quality carbs like fresh fruits and vegetables. People with money end up eating too many sugary drinks, fat laden meat, and other delicious but unhealthy things. And most of us are exercising less and less. Its another great American export: our 20th century lifestyle:/

nicoenarg said:
I get the point about McDonald's, it's unhealthy. But its not BELOW anyone to go eat there. If someone goes there, it doesn't mean they're "the scum of the earth". I've eaten at McDonald's countless times (and regretted it at times, not always). Didn't think it was below me. But hey, what do I know, I might just be a freakin' peasant to you Kings and Queens.

Mmmm... I think I'm going to head over to McDonalds for lunch right now.

Say what you want, but my McDonald's caesar salad is 10x better than any of the trash prepared by the local Argentine places around here. I know for a fact that it is going to come with 3-4 different kinds of lettuce (which I know will be washed beforehand). Many times salads at Argentine restaurants will give you unwashed or poorly washed veggies that are just nasty.

el_expatriado said:
Mmmm... I think I'm going to head over to McDonalds for lunch right now.

Say what you want, but my McDonald's caesar salad is 10x better than any of the trash prepared by the local Argentine places around here. I know for a fact that it is going to come with 3-4 different kinds of lettuce (which I know will be washed beforehand). Many times salads at Argentine restaurants will give you unwashed or poorly washed veggies that are just nasty.

So so true!

I know this post was a joke but honestly, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the big box stores. Not Walmart per se. I haven't been in a Walmart in years. But I go to Target all the time. It's an easy one stop shop to get many things.

The best part of the big box stores in the USA is you can take anything back for almost any reason and even after a few weeks they will still take it back. The efficiency and lack of red tape and customer service in the USA is amazing.

I lived in Buenos Aires for many years and enjoyed it but I don't regret for one second moving back to the USA. It was the best decision I ever made and I doubt I'll ever move back to Argentina full time again. I still love the country and will always go back. But living full-time the USA is amazing and love being back. Everything is so easy.

Many times in many instances living in Argentina felt like getting your teeth pulled out.... Everything inefficient and difficult and people always trying to con you or cheat you. It can feel like a real life game of Frogger.

nicoenarg said:
When you posted the above, I went to the link to see proof of how Walmart destroyed small business. You know, why else would you provide the link to something? But oh no! You just want to make an emotional statement with "oh look! I hate Walmart, and I assume if they're providing cheap products to consumers then they must be destroying small business, ergo, they force people to sleep in their cars...let me prove it to you that people are sleeping in their cars with the link that I provide!!! Doesn't it prove how evil Walmart is?!!"

Nice. Very nice.

Nico, you are reading way too much into my post. The article was provided to show what utter desperation people are living in in the USA after their towns are devastated economically living under the new "service based economy" which walmart is a part of. If you want articles on how evil Walmart is and how it is mucking everything up, then here you go-
http://articles.nydailynews.com/201..._1_small-businesses-david-neumark-city-stores
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3045walmart_iowa.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/badbusiness.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/transform/protest.html

Adios_USA said:
Nico, you are reading way too much into my post. The article was provided to show what utter desperation people are living in in the USA after their towns are devastated economically living under the new "service based economy" which walmart is a part of. If you want articles on how evil Walmart is and how it is mucking everything up, then here you go-
http://articles.nydailynews.com/201..._1_small-businesses-david-neumark-city-stores
http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3045walmart_iowa.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/badbusiness.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/transform/protest.html

I don't buy the whole Wal-Mart is evil bit. Mom and pop stores are going to disappear if they don't find a way to compete with the big box stores. Retail in the USA is a game for highly capitalized national chains. If you plan on owning a retail business in the United States, you had better have a niche market and provide amazing service.

A few examples of specialty retail stores I visited in the USA:

1. Archery store. I got expert advice from the people there and they had an archery range where I could try out the bow. Can you buy a bow in Wal-Mart? Yes. Shoot it in the store and get someone to re-string it? No chance. So my business goes to the local retailer, even if their prices are a bit higher.

2. Paintball gear. Same as above.

3. High end audio/video. I want to be able to hear the speakers I buy. The place I used to buy from in the US not only had great service, but they let me take home the speakers, use them for a week or two and return them if I didn't like how it sounded IN MY HOME.

Now if I want to buy groceries or housewares, I am going to Wal-Mart. I don't care about what I buy in those categories so I just want a cheap place that has everything. Wal-Mart fills that need. I don't want to go to a mom and pop store and get ripped off on basic consumer items. I don't need help picking out my toothpaste. I just want the cheapest price.

So if you are a mom and pop retailer and you are selling toothpaste and groceries, you are probably going out of business when Wal-Mart comes to town. I call this progress.

Back