Is the expat party coming to an end?

I live very well in Argentina on less than $1000/month (I own my apartment). I don't think I could even scrape by on $3000/month in my home state, no matter how many low income benefits they gave me. I've investigated going back a few times and it's not really feasible.
You couldn't live in your home state on USD $3,000 if you owned your own home?

Can someone 65+ get health insurance in Argentina at a reasonable price, if it's even available at age 65+ (assuming you haven't been in a plan for years)?

Can someone 65+ get health insurance in Argentina at a reasonable price, if it's even available at age 65+ (assuming you haven't been in a plan for years)?
With a DNI I have had insurance with Hospital Italiano over the past 4 years. I'm 71. I'm paying about $110,000p a month. As I understand it Italiano is one of the few plans that offer coverage to the elderly. Other plans either don't make the offer or charge an exorbitant rate.

You couldn't live in your home state on USD $3,000 if you owned your own home?
If I owned the home that I used to own there? Definitely not. Would need a car. Taxes >$5000/year (and rising). When I came back from Argentina to sell the house, I was paying $80/month electric bill for just the refrigerator. I would definitely need a car. It was a rural location. No industry, stores, supermarkets, nothing in the town. Heating bill of $300 or more 5 months a year. I'd have to start paying Medicare.

If I went back, I could no longer afford a house. I would have to rent. Minimum in the area where I used to live (where my family and friends are, which is the reason I would move back), almost $2000/month. Without utilities. Would still need a car. And food. And health insurance.

I'm very lucky I was here last year when I needed a triple bypass.

If you can show me how to make the numbers work in central Massachusetts, I'd love to see it.

If I owned the home that I used to own there? Definitely not. Would need a car. Taxes >$5000/year (and rising). When I came back from Argentina to sell the house, I was paying $80/month electric bill for just the refrigerator. I would definitely need a car. It was a rural location. No industry, stores, supermarkets, nothing in the town. Heating bill of $300 or more 5 months a year. I'd have to start paying Medicare.

If I went back, I could no longer afford a house. I would have to rent. Minimum in the area where I used to live (where my family and friends are, which is the reason I would move back), almost $2000/month. Without utilities. Would still need a car. And food. And health insurance.

I'm very lucky I was here last year when I needed a triple bypass.

If you can show me how to make the numbers work in central Massachusetts, I'd love to see it.
No idea how much it costs where you come from but I do know people who live in big East Coast US cities who do not own or need a car, own their own homes (all but one have condos), have Medicare and manage on modest incomes. You'd need a car in Argentina if you lived outside BA.

With a DNI I have had insurance with Hospital Italiano over the past 4 years. I'm 71. I'm paying about $110,000p a month. As I understand it Italiano is one of the few plans that offer coverage to the elderly. Other plans either don't make the offer or charge an exorbitant rate.
That's what I thought so expats 65+ considering moving to BA had better consider that they may not get health insurance. I wonder if they would take you if you applied at age 71.

No idea how much it costs where you come from but I do know people who live in big East Coast US cities who do not own or need a car, own their own homes (all but one have condos), have Medicare and manage on modest incomes. You'd need a car in Argentina if you lived outside BA.
As I said, show me the numbers.

And outside of NYC, I can't imagine a place where you could reasonably live without a car.

I had a house in a beautiful rural area of Massachusetts, but as I said, I couldn't afford one now.

But I'd really like to see the numbers for how anyone could live in the northeast on $3000/month. (I'd have to do it on $1500)

As I said, show me the numbers.

And outside of NYC, I can't imagine a place where you could reasonably live without a car.

I had a house in a beautiful rural area of Massachusetts, but as I said, I couldn't afford one now.

But I'd really like to see the numbers for how anyone could live in the northeast on $3000/month. (I'd have to do it on $1500)

And this is another part, (or perhaps I should say another symptom), of the ongoing destruction of the middle class.

Back