Is the expat party coming to an end?

Universities in Argentina can remain free for those of low income but should charge those who have the means to pay something.. The costs would be insignificant compared to USA prices. Also why should Argentine citizens pay for the education of foreigners who come to Argentina solely for the benefit of free education? These things need reforming.

University Education in Argentina isn't free, the ones that don't attend (all taxpayers) pay for the ones that attend. The ones that attend free university should be grateful with the taxpayers that pay for it.
Having rich parents shouldn't be a basis for discrimination.

The number of foreign students enrolled in public universities is around 4.1%

They denied Patricia Bullrich's statements about the number of foreign students in state universities: enrollment is 4.1 percent

These and many other issues will have to be analysed by the new government. Milei has spoken of plebiscites. This might be one issue taken directly to the people to decide.

University Education in Argentina isn't free, the ones that don't attend (all taxpayers) pay for the ones that attend. The ones that attend free university should be grateful with the taxpayers that pay for it.
Having rich parents shouldn't be a basis for discrimination.

The number of foreign students enrolled in public universities is around 4.1%

They denied Patricia Bullrich's statements about the number of foreign students in state universities: enrollment is 4.1 percent

Moreover some question the notion that people that never have or will never fly have to pay for the Aerolineas Arg. millionaire deficits

Who is low income and who is not? (I thought Milei was firing lots of state employees. He's going to need to hire some people to calculate this annually). Even if someone is "high income", they may not have the means to pay for a university education because of life circumstances. WHY should people be discriminated against because of their income (or their parents' income)? the current system is fair and equal (free) for all!
other countries such as Germany and Brasil also have free university education for foreigners. the number of foreign students in Argentine universities is very low and insignificant, but of course, xenophobic politicians need a group to direct hate and anger towards.
But those countries aren't in the economic shape Argentina is in. And Argentina is in this situation because they offered benefits they couldn't pay for, among other things. At some point they have to be realistic about their options. Can't continue to pay for things with money they don't have. Maybe should do a better job educating the public about what they're facing because if the public still demands the same services then they're apparently unaware that it's no longer feasible. At least not until things improve, if they ever do.

Who is low income and who is not? (I thought Milei was firing lots of state employees. He's going to need to hire some people to calculate this annually). Even if someone is "high income", they may not have the means to pay for a university education because of life circumstances. WHY should people be discriminated against because of their income (or their parents' income)? the current system is fair and equal (free) for all!
other countries such as Germany and Brasil also have free university education for foreigners. the number of foreign students in Argentine universities is very low and insignificant, but of course, xenophobic politicians need a group to direct hate and anger towards.
Asking for people who have the money to pay is morally correct in a country that struggles financially. There is far too much lack of community here, pulling together and not just being out for yourself. We have to pay for University in the UK and it works because the rate you pay back is minimal compared to your wages(and nothing if they do not surpass a threshold).

And then calling them xenophobic for posing the question is just a slur to discourage debate. I've compiled a quick list of just a few of the EU "xenophobic" countries who do not offer free university to students outside the EU:

Denmark
Finland
France
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Moreover some question the notion that people that never have or will never fly have to pay for the Aerolineas Arg. millionaire deficits
Why is this even a state company? At least internationally there is competition.

Asking for people who have the money to pay is morally correct in a country that struggles financially. There is far too much lack of community here, pulling together and not just being out for yourself. We have to pay for University in the UK and it works because the rate you pay back is minimal compared to your wages(and nothing if they do not surpass a threshold).

And then calling them xenophobic for posing the question is just a slur to discourage debate. I've compiled a quick list of just a few of the EU "xenophobic" countries who do not offer free university to students outside the EU:

Denmark
Finland
France
Italy
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
I’m not sure that the UK tuition fees work terribly fairly. It is fair on lower earners for sure, but for those that can afford to pay tuition fees outright get a very big discount compared to those that can’t and accrue a much larger debt by the time they’ve repaid it. It’s a graduate tax in all but name and is much kinder to those with means to pay immediately. NB: I was the first year of 9k tuition fees and prioritised paying it off ASAP following graduation because the rate was so high and I’d certainly repay it in full before 30 years.

In any case, I think tertiary education should be taxpayer funded and free at the point of use. A well educated society is a better society

I’m not sure that the UK tuition fees work terribly fairly. It is fair on lower earners for sure, but for those that can afford to pay tuition fees outright get a very big discount compared to those that can’t and accrue a much larger debt by the time they’ve repaid it. It’s a graduate tax in all but name and is much kinder to those with means to pay immediately. NB: I was the first year of 9k tuition fees and prioritised paying it off ASAP following graduation because the rate was so high and I’d certainly repay it in full before 30 years.

In any case, I think tertiary education should be taxpayer funded and free at the point of use. A well educated society is a better society
When you say big discount can you expand on that??? Student loans are charged at the rate of inflation(RPI), which until the last few years has been under 1% for a few years. But this is neither here nor there as even if inflation rises and so does the RPI it will still be in line. This effectively means that your loan is still valued the same because of...well inflation of wages, property etc etc. To add to this due to the UK experiencing high inflation the RPI was capped under the rate of inflation(quids in). And as you also know no matter what the rate is your monthly payment will not be affected. In fact the only sound advice to pay the loan off early is if you are a high earner(but I'm guessing you knew this too ;) ), as an additional 3% is added from £28k to £50k(so 1.8% at £38k for example).

Then there is the dropout rate, if this was free I would be paying for it. And not to mention the countless people I know who have degrees in something that is completely unrelated to their field of work or unnecessary. Add to the fact the discounts(like travel, social), the money loaned at effectively 0% interest with RPI parity which tax payers are already having to pay for.

This just smacks of wanting to earn more money over a lifetime and expecting others to finance it for you.

When you say big discount can you expand on that??? Student loans are charged at the rate of inflation(RPI), which until the last few years has been under 1% for a few years. But this is neither here nor there as even if inflation rises and so does the RPI it will still be in line. This effectively means that your loan is still valued the same because of...well inflation of wages, property etc etc. To add to this due to the UK experiencing high inflation the RPI was capped under the rate of inflation(quids in). And as you also know no matter what the rate is your monthly payment will not be affected. In fact the only sound advice to pay the loan off early is if you are a high earner(but I'm guessing you knew this too ;) ), as an additional 3% is added from £28k to £50k(so 1.8% at £38k for example).

Then there is the dropout rate, if this was free I would be paying for it. And not to mention the countless people I know who have degrees in something that is completely unrelated to their field of work or unnecessary. Add to the fact the discounts(like travel, social), the money loaned at effectively 0% interest with RPI parity which tax payers are already having to pay for.

This just smacks of wanting to earn more money over a lifetime and expecting others to finance it for you.
It perhaps may have changed in recent years, I paid mine off in 2020 I believe but the rate then was RPI + up to 3% salary dependent. I’d agree that it would be fair if it were flat RPI and if that’s the case these days then I agree that that’s fair. In fact, based on your numbers it certainly seems a lot fairer than it was 2017-2020 as I recall. With the 3% on top of RPI that was effectively subsidising those who were paying outright.

I can understand disagreeing with believing tertiary education should be free at the point of use but if not then the system should at least be seamlessly progressive and it seems to be more so lately with the numbers you gave.

Also, I reserve the right to be a little irked to be the first year of plan 2 as the difference with the prior year was huge not only in fees but repayment terms 😉

Back