Is the expat party coming to an end?

When you say big discount can you expand on that??? Student loans are charged at the rate of inflation(RPI), which until the last few years has been under 1% for a few years. But this is neither here nor there as even if inflation rises and so does the RPI it will still be in line. This effectively means that your loan is still valued the same because of...well inflation of wages, property etc etc. To add to this due to the UK experiencing high inflation the RPI was capped under the rate of inflation(quids in). And as you also know no matter what the rate is your monthly payment will not be affected. In fact the only sound advice to pay the loan off early is if you are a high earner(but I'm guessing you knew this too ;) ), as an additional 3% is added from £28k to £50k(so 1.8% at £38k for example).

Then there is the dropout rate, if this was free I would be paying for it. And not to mention the countless people I know who have degrees in something that is completely unrelated to their field of work or unnecessary. Add to the fact the discounts(like travel, social), the money loaned at effectively 0% interest with RPI parity which tax payers are already having to pay for.

This just smacks of wanting to earn more money over a lifetime and expecting others to finance it for you.
Also, the point of a huge discount, it’s arguable but the interest accruing from day 1 of enrolment is a big frustration compared to those who pay outright. Again, I understand your point about balancing the taxpayer backed loan with inflation. I had over 4 years of loan interest accrual before I was in a position to earn sufficiently to begin shaving down the debt.

In essence I, and that’s my personal preference and belief - and true I have bias ingrained within that - that tertiary education should be free at the point of use and taxpayer funded, or actually charged as a graduate tax rather than a muddled middle ground

I thought the expat party ended by 2012 or so. The years following the coralito were full of backpackers, crustpunks, couchsurfers, and wide eyed dreamers. I remember the arty couple getting all the international press for their funky highrise apartment, the seemingly weekly meetings with new arrivals who had bought $25,000 apartments in Palermo, the global graffiti artists, and so on. All gone, fifteen years ago now.
Those were pretty sweet days! It got annoying for a bit, but it was still fun being in the center of the chaotic expat planet. Most of the posts here then were about where to take visiting parents for steak and whether Ryan was still doing the best highlights in CABA...

Massa's campaign banners were to protect free public Health and Education. However most K's and Peronistas are enrolled in private Health Plans, for them and families. As well as sending their children to Private Schools and Universities...? Hence the public systems are for the underprivileged....?

Massa's campaign banners were to protect free public Health and Education. However most K's and Peronistas are enrolled in private Health Plans, for them and families. As well as sending their children to Private Schools and Universities...? Hence the public systems are for the underprivileged....?
This doesn’t seem unique to Argentina though. Free universal health and education can and probably has to exist alongside private and that seems preferable than having only private.

I think you’d struggle to find a country where the children of the ruling class aren’t predominantly at a private school, either domestically nor internationally

This doesn’t seem unique to Argentina though. Free universal health and education can and probably has to exist alongside private and that seems preferable than having only private.

I think you’d struggle to find a country where the children of the ruling class aren’t predominantly at a private school, either domestically nor internationally
Obama enrolled his daughters in a private Quaker school favoured by VIPs; Jimmy Carter enroled his daughter at a Washinhgton DC public (i.e.'state') school to much media fanfare. After a month he withdrew her and sent her to the elite National Cathedral School. The NYT buried the story in one partgraph deep inside the paper.

Then it's OK everybody does it..! Are private schools better..? Private care/schooling is for those that can afford it. ..! Conclusion : Politics pays..!

Then there is the dropout rate, if this was free I would be paying for it. And not to mention the countless people I know who have degrees in something that is completely unrelated to their field of work or unnecessary. Add to the fact the discounts(like travel, social), the money loaned at effectively 0% interest with RPI parity which tax payers are already having to pay for.

This just smacks of wanting to earn more money over a lifetime and expecting others to finance it for you.
Jimbob, you would be paying taxes either way, free uni or not. If someone studies and drops out, then that's okay - at least they had the experience without getting into inhuman levels of debt, which can cause mental problems and lead to substance abuse (or worse), thus increasing the burden on the taxpayer. Where's your humaneness? It's better that governments use tax money to directly benefit citizens than to spend it on some inhumane human trafficking scheme or some stupid coronation ceremony. You're paying for that too and I haven't heard a thing from you about it. Even if someone or two people drop out of uni, even more finish it and become engineers, scientists, medical professionals, etc, without being in a boatload of debt. This is a net positive for society - yes, they will earn more money, but they will pay it back 10x over in taxes, thus completing the cycle and fully paying for their education.
Why are so many people against simple, humane measures that don't cause any harm and only benefit? I can't fathom being so heartless. This short-sighted, self-centered thinking is very harmful to all.

Well, folks, what we are seeing is prices in pesos going way up, and the amount of pesos we get for our dollars going down. This is not a good trend, and it reminds me too much of what we saw in the final 2 years of the last Macri regime.

This uncombed, dog-cloning clown hasn't even assumed power yet, but he's already run north to beg for more debt.

This is going to be a long 4 years.

Well, folks, what we are seeing is prices in pesos going way up, and the amount of pesos we get for our dollars going down. This is not a good trend, and it reminds me too much of what we saw in the final 2 years of the last Macri regime.

This uncombed, dog-cloning clown hasn't even assumed power yet, but he's already run north to beg for more debt.

Be more interesting when he converts to Hassidic Judaism. Wonder if he's a Kabbalah numerologist?

Just when things in Argentina were getting so good!

Back