It’s official Joe Biden becomes the 46 President of the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't see anything objectionable in anything you read or hear, and have decided on reflection that it's all reasonable, objective analysis made in good faith by impartial commentators, that's certainly your prerogative.
My view is actually the converse: I find almost nothing I read and hear, from either side of the spectrum, unobjectionable. It seems to be all tainted by bias, usually considerable. Both sides leave out the uncomfortable facts and information. Both sides make claims that, on inspection, don't hold up.

If Limbaugh did, for example, say that Obama was a foreign born Muslim Arab, that would be certainly a good response to Wade's media challenge. I would buy it. If it's actually true.

Executive actions signed by Biden
Rejoining the Paris climate accord and
Rejoining the World Health Organization
Rescinding Trump’s order on the 1776 Commission
Canceling a plan to limit the Census only to citizens
Reversing Trump’s travel ban on Muslims
Halting construction of the border wall that used emergency funding
Undoing Trump’s ban on gender diversity training
Required masks on federal grounds & Federal employees
Extended deportation protection to undocumented immigrants
He appointed a White House coronavirus coordinator.
He extended a moratorium on evictions amid the coronavirus
He extended a pause on student loan payments amid the coronavirus

At Voice of America, a sweeping ouster of Trump officials on Biden’s first full day
Source:

Last edited:
DEFENSE
‘Really quite shocking’: Inside the ugly transition at the Pentagon
The effort to obstruct the Biden team, led by senior White House appointees at the Pentagon, is unprecedented in modern presidential transitions and will hobble the new administration on key national security matters as it takes over positions in the Defense Department.

I dont like Frum at all. But he is certainly no worse than Kissinger, who is still acclaimed by many more people.
Again, my point is even people like Frum can see what a complete failure Trump was on every level.
And his piece, if you read it, is not about redeeming Frum.
Its about what Trump actually did.
Which is much more important.

Good point about Kissinger!

Frum's foreign policy views are not similar to Trump's. For all of Trump's faults, he did not start any new wars or really ramp up the existing ones. Frum advocates a more interventionist foreign policy. He views Trump as weak for not invading Venezuela for example.

I find it curious that Frum is employed by mainstream outlets. If Trump has been de-platformed for inciting violence you'd think that Frum should also suffer the same consequences for his incitement of mass killing in the Middle East. Perhaps it's because those victims were poor brown people of the Islamic faith while those threatened by Trump's violence were powerful politicians.

Remember the one time MSNBC and CNN gushed over Trump was when he bombed a Syrian air base? Brian Williams talked about the beauty of our weapons as Raytheon missiles were on their way to kill a Syrian teenager whose only way out of poverty was by joining the army. Fareed Zakaria proclaimed today is the day Trump became president. Odd how that violence was glorified and praised.

Last edited:
Good point about Kissinger!

For all of Trump's faults, he did not start any new wars or really ramp up the existing ones.

He did not start new wars (good), but he did ramp up existing ones (Under Donald Trump, drone strikes far exceed Obama's) and he scuttled that Nuclear dial with Iran and ordered the assassination of high profile Iranian personnel.
He was no dove. Maybe not as bad as Bush/Obama, but no dove nevertheless.

Civilian Deaths in U.S. Wars Are Skyrocketing Under Trump.

He did not start new wars (good), but he did ramp up existing ones (Under Donald Trump, drone strikes far exceed Obama's) and he scuttled that Nuclear dial with Iran and ordered the assassination of high profile Iranian personnel.
He was no dove. Maybe not as bad as Bush/Obama, but no dove nevertheless.

Civilian Deaths in U.S. Wars Are Skyrocketing Under Trump.
That's a good point, but that still was not sufficiently hawkish for Frum, Nicole Wallace, Bill Kristol or the other war mongers from the Bush era who wanted escalation in Syria, Venezuela and ramped up tensions with Russia.

Here it is folks, the very next post proves my point. You're moving the goal posts, trying to distract. I didn't discuss the policies of either Trump or Biden and chose my words very carefully when saying "I support Biden as much as I can considering my position."

Regardless of Biden or Obama, do you think Trump contributed to some myths during his presidency?
Not trying to distract from anything. Y'all made it about Trump the man, not his policies. We now have a reversal of his policies. Let's see how well that works out.

Limbaugh is more subtle than a clown like Glenn Beck. But whilst he's subtle he still contributes to a toxic narrative, and has a role in repeating and amplifying lies. It's important to consider the context in which comments are made.

"Birtherism" was a conspiracy theory. Some believed it, others repeated it because it served their interests or pandered to their audiences. Limbaugh contributed to the narrative that Obama was a foreign born muslim arab, by repeatedly referring to him as being Arab. His reasoning was that Kenya is an Arab part of Africa. This is lazy and inaccurate but serves a purpose - Limbaugh gives himself permission to call Obama an Arab in chorus with other right wing commentators, conspiracy theorists and racists.

Obama bringing in Ebola was another conspiracy theory. Mostly fringe nutjob stuff, and weak minded celebs - Chris Brown announced it was a form of population control. Against this backdrop, Laura Ingraham helpfully contributed her perspective that Obama was happy for US soldiers to contract and spread ebola to atone for colonialism. Limbaugh said the same - that political correctness and white guilt were influencing policy. Both talked of "redistribution" - of wealth away from US, and ills towards the US in the interests of fairness.

If you don't see anything objectionable in anything you read or hear, and have decided on reflection that it's all reasonable, objective analysis made in good faith by impartial commentators, that's certainly your prerogative.
You associate Limbaugh and Ingraham faintly with extremist views to discredit anything else they say. Saul Alinsky would be proud.

That's a good point, but that still was not sufficiently hawkish for Frum, Nicole Wallace, Bill Kristol or the other war mongers from the Bush era who wanted escalation in Syria, Venezuela and ramped up tensions with Russia.
Anyone wants to venture a guess of how long until this administration gets the US into another war?

Anyone wants to venture a guess of how long until this administration gets the US into another war?

I wonder if the last 4 years have scared and humbled the Dems enough to improve their act even a little bit. Or will they go the other way taking a leaf out of the Trump book thinking 'hey we're in power now and this authoritarianism and doing and saying whatever you want seems to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back