Judge Griesa Holds Argentina In Contempt

Griesa confused:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/business/rulings-add-to-the-mess-in-argentine-bonds.html

Are there other articles to support this opinion piece in the Times? Even if this is true it does not seem to me to be proof of senility. The case is obviously complex and may need clarification and presumably this is being done however I don't see how this, even if true, invalidates the decision. The judge has had time to review the points raised in the article and is surely under pressure to get it right. He hasn't budged. Would the US legal establishment really allow someone mentally incompetent to pursue this case as Griesa is doing? Some may say yes but I really doubt it.

I doubt he is really "senile". He might have lost a few facts in the case, or be mistaken about some details.

That's probably just Argentine propaganda. Also, Cristina's "I am a victim that will be harmed by the evil empire" routine is also propaganda, and powerful propaganda that works. My experience here is that people love to play the victim. Cristina is setting herself up to be the next hero when in a year or so we will have another De La Rua come into power. She will then be able to come back and say "Remember when I was president and things were better," after the next government has to leave before finishing. When actually her time as president was one blunder after another and caused that next crisis that will last for the next few years. It's all clever propaganda. And yet many will choose to believe it.

Judge is not going anywhere unless he recuses himself. It is what it is. Be careful what you wish for Argentina.

I doubt he is really "senile". He might have lost a few facts in the case, or be mistaken about some details.

That's probably just Argentine propaganda. Also, Cristina's "I am a victim that will be harmed by the evil empire" routine is also propaganda, and powerful propaganda that works. My experience here is that people love to play the victim. Cristina is setting herself up to be the next hero when in a year or so we will have another De La Rua come into power. She will then be able to come back and say "Remember when I was president and things were better," after the next government has to leave before finishing. When actually her time as president was one blunder after another and caused that next crisis that will last for the next few years. It's all clever propaganda. And yet many will choose to believe it.

As opposed to NML Capital and co's victim spiel ? Aren't you left feeling a little uncomfortable with the we leant them some money and just want it back routine? ....

...as opposed to the whole 1068% / usuary business and international consensus around the dangers of making sovereign debt restructuring an impossible feat.

Be careful which simplistic tale you spin here. Support for debt restructuring does not equal support for the president. Victimhood is a sought after quality in koch circles too it seems.

Yes but Argentina is NOT bankrupt. The holdouts did not accept Argentina's offer years ago. Now the US courts that have legal jurisdiction have said that Argentina is in contempt for not paying. The holdouts or their successors were willing to hang in for over a decade and this is the outcome.
Yes but Argentina is NOT bankrupt. The holdouts did not accept Argentina's offer years ago. Now the US courts that have legal jurisdiction have said that Argentina is in contempt for not paying. The holdouts or their successors were willing to hang in for over a decade and this is the outcome.

Argentina was bankrupt and that time.
There are huge differencies between persons and countries. While a judge can enforce a sentence to a person, he cannot do it to another country unless both countries accept to go to The Hague International Court and those judges decide that the sentence is valid according to international law. Argentina propose to go, the US didn't accept. I believe they didn't accept because they know that the sentence enacted by Griesa is against the International law.

I go again, the sentence cannot be enforced. It means that Griesa can freeze Argentine money in the US but Argentina can decide to do not send any money through the US. In fact, Argentina enacted a new law regarding to pay the bondholders through Banco Nacion.

Are there other articles to support this opinion piece in the Times? Even if this is true it does not seem to me to be proof of senility. The case is obviously complex and may need clarification and presumably this is being done however I don't see how this, even if true, invalidates the decision. The judge has had time to review the points raised in the article and is surely under pressure to get it right. He hasn't budged. Would the US legal establishment really allow someone mentally incompetent to pursue this case as Griesa is doing? Some may say yes but I really doubt it.

Welcome to reality, I have to deal with idiots at Court every day.

Judge is not going anywhere unless he recuses himself. It is what it is. Be careful what you wish for Argentina.

Well, the contemp is a joke. Argentina won. It is going to take 54 years to be more expensive to pay, than to do not pay.
So, in between, the judge is going to die.

Back