Judgement Left Intact: Vulture Funds

toongeorges made a good point, however, I think EdRooney also raises an interesting issue: if the bonds are issued according to domestic law, you won't have the problem Argentina is facing now. For instance, Greece made a retroactive CAC for afaik 90% of their bonds (the ones that are issued according to Greece laws), which effectively eliminated the holdout issues.
However, other countries (e.g., a lot of African countries) practically don't have the option to issue bonds according to domestic laws as they could not sell them (if you discount the possibility to pay very extreme interest rates, which is practically not feasible). So if those countries try to get foreign money, they are basically doomed to issue their bonds according to foreign laws. I think there is no single entity to blame (even though it tends to be hip to just pick one evil villain), but the general problem imo is that one needs a clear law framework according to which countries may go into a controlled default without the holdout issues, as this basically puts the country and most investors in a disadvantageous position in favor of a very small group of speculative entities.

OMG that's the best idea yet, since the US is suffering deflationary effects, and QE/ZIRP isn't doing the trick, what could be the possible negatives to printing out a quick $15b (which is pretty much a slow week at the Fed) and giving it directly to Argentina's creditors in payment?

Kills 2 birds with one stone, I love it.
Sorry to rain on your Neo-Keynesian Money Printing Parade but the deflation fear is old news. News from today by Reuters:

U.S. inflation rise boosts dollar, Fed could be more hawkish

The U.S. Labor Department said its Consumer Price Index rose 0.4 percent last month. The gain was the largest since February 2013 and topped expectations for a 0.2 percent rise, following a 0.3 percent advance in April.

http://www.reuters.c...N0ES01Q20140617

If CFK understood what she and Paul Singer have in common, maybe she would agree where the funds might go: http://tinyurl.com/ptrpwua

Creating $85 billion per month out of thin air since 2008-- some 15 trillion dollars-- and the best you can squeeze out is 0.4 percent inflation for a couple of months?

Creating $85 billionper month out of thin air since 2008-- some 15 trillion dollars-- and the best you can squeeze out is 0.4 percent inflation for a couple of months?
To a Neo-Keynesian, the solution to all problems is more money printing - but when you stop to think:

Can printing money, create wealth?

And obviously it cannot. It can redistribute wealth - usually to the wealthy - as we see in the developed world with wages stagnant and stock markets booming.

Wow so if that's your definition, then I'm not a neo-Keynesian. Sweet, now we can get back on topic!

Wow so if that's your definition, then I'm not a neo-Keynesian. Sweet, now we can get back on topic!
So makeup your mind - do you believe in the magic of money printing or not? Are you a Neo-Keynesian or not?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "magic of money printing" and no I would not call myself a neo-keynesian.

toongeorges brought up the idea of having the Fed print away Argentina's debt, and I showed that not only would it be a negligible drop in the bucket in the Fed's money creation spree, but it might even help just to a tiny degree with what is a problem of insufficient inflation in the US.

How we got from there to Krugman is beyond me.

Listening to Kicillof , a historical review of the National External Debt with Privados, no mention of the Debt with Anses or Central Bank...? All the blame is on the Neo-liberal Governments that contracted debt prior to 2003

Kicillof stated that the Debt to the 93 % will be paid in Argentina under Argentine Law!!!! this breaks the terms of the Agreement....!! NOTHING to the Vultures....!!

Back