Just assaulted I feel not good at all

mick0 said:
I have to tell you, in the most intense moment it was something like 100 people near the corner street of Santa Fe / Diaz and nobody moves.

I have to tell you you can't ever assume you are safe in the street in BA.

I am glad I don't live there anymore.

I feel much safer whre I am now...especially when I forget to lock the door at night.

is it a question of being a foreigner singled out as one or just ''anyone'' in the wrong place and time ? I hope the question is not seen as insensitive but I am curious to know - I do know one local friend told me in some barrios to ''cashate boca'' (spelling?) because if I was heard speaking English it would make me more of a target? Is this correct?

Brandishing a weapon you are not fully adept with is the worst thing to do, because if the other guy takes it off you...

Casimir Olafr said:
I do know one local friend told me in some barrios to ''cashate boca'' (spelling?) because if I was heard speaking English it would make me more of a target? Is this correct?

It is also true that if you speak with that much of a cheto accent in some neighbourhoods you will be more of a target.

Reactions: Caz
there are few places where you have to be that careful (you better be inside a cab/remis or with local friends anyway).

Nevertheless, anything identifying you as a foreigner can be negative for you in many situations. Speak english (or spanish with an accent) and stuff becomes more expensive (taxi rides, shops, etc.), pickpockets pay extra attention to you, or, in the worst case, somebody puts a gun to your head and robs you. The last thing obviously being unlikely, but if you are at the wrong place at the wrong time and additionally a bit unlucky anything is possible.

Casimir Olafr said:
is it a question of being a foreigner singled out as one or just ''anyone'' in the wrong place and time ? I hope the question is not seen as insensitive but I am curious to know - I do know one local friend told me in some barrios to ''cashate boca'' (spelling?) because if I was heard speaking English it would make me more of a target? Is this correct?

One of the frist things I was told by my Argentine girlfriend was NOT to be heard speaking English in the street. For the first six months in Argentina I lived near the Bulens station. I was usually alone so being overheard talking was rarely an issue.

There have been a number posts by other members who gripe about hearing too much English in Palermo. I know what they mean, but it never bothered me for the same reason. It undoubtedly increases the "threat" level of being targeted by an assailant.

One gentleman on here suggested pepper spray or a taser/stun gun. I think that for me the idea of ''having something'' is not bad. But I also agree that to carry something that is a more serious weapon would be very dangerous because of two things. The first worry would be that if you were not proficient with the weapon it could be taken and used against you and although I do not know the law here I would think that serious legal problems could result as well. One thing that seems clear from what many of you have said is to be cautious and perhaps try to not make yourself more of a target than you need too. Maybe its a good idea to boss up in places that are known to be less safe - you don't jump into the water for a swim if you can see flatdogs all about :) lol

There is so much that could go wrong with pepper spray, tasers, etc.
Not only in the act of self-defense itself, where it might fall into the attackers hands or make him additionally violent, you might also get into serious legal trouble after using it, or if police searches you for some reason.
If you don't have citizenship (maybe residencia counts as well) even more so. I.e. argentines can have guns in their house, AFAIK, foreigners can't.

When I got robbed, I don't think I could have used any of it. When the right moment came, I just pushed the attacker and ran (at that time he had my mobile phone but did not have my wallet yet. Made a thread about it back then). I don't think that I would have had time to pull out, point and fire a taser.
If, against all recommendations, you get yourself some self defense weapon, make sure to get good training and routine on it. In the moment where you need it, you won't have time to think.

The only real protection I know of, is getting a custodio (personal security guard, generally retired policemen as they are allowed to carry a gun with them), although I don't have any idea how much they cost.

mick0 said:
Lee, this is exactly what happened. It turned to a nightmare no more than 10 seconds after I interacted with them. At least I should never have done that in a place I go everyday.

I like Buenos Aires, I am here for 2 months now, and lived to many other places before (mostly in Asia)

No you SHOULD have done what you did. You are a brave person and should be proud of yourself. Dont forget why you put yourself through that in the first place - to help an old defensless woman out . Sure you got grief for it - but it could have been a lot worse. Maybe you did actually help that woman out - maybe they'll think twice about attacking someone like that again. Probably not but one things for sure - the more people in society willing to stand up for whats right and risk their own safety instead watching the weak get attacked - the better a society it will be.
Now I practice martial arts and I am a fim advocate that if someone threatens you and demands money or whatever - you give it to them. I will hide under a table, beg for mercy and run away before using any sort of violence or resistance. The last thing I want to encourage is false confidence or "superhero" behaviour which can often make things worse -BUT there is an exception to my rule of total cowardice and where there is no other option but to challenge a criminal - and that is when you or someone else is goint to get hurt anyway no matter what you do, or where harm could be caused to someone else.
Attacking an old woman is just plain out of order . Not many people have your balls, you've had a traumatic experience but you were trying to prevent suffereing to someone else - you should be proud of yourself - we need more people like you around.

Back