Kiwi Considering Move To Ba

Hi, I'll also be moving to BA in mid-September. I'm a Lebanese-Australian reporter and I've been living in the Mideast for the past 10 years and decided I needed a change to challenge me. I'm also studying Spanish and want to speak like a cute Porteno.

I'm currently looking for a sunny room in San Telmo with some good people; nothing too expensive, if anybody wants a friendly, tidy human to live with? I also love feeding people, if that helps?

But in general, I'm also looking to meet good people.

I can always be emailed at [email protected] You can see more about me on my twiter.com/diaahadid, instagram.com/diaahadid

Let me know, and thank you!

Diaa

Hi there, another kiwi here. I arrived in BA in October 2000 with all my worldly belongings in 2 suitcases. There isn't much I have really missed from home, most things have some kind of replacement.

My list of things to definitely bring with you (ie there is no suitable replacement) are:
1) Underwear. Find a bra that fits and buy five at least. The bras here are measured differently and I suffered for years until I finally went to the US this summer and bought lots of bras that actually fit. Same goes for knickers. Argentine girls seem to go for very little coverage in the private parts region and they're hopeless quality. Buy up large at Bendon before coming over :)
2) jeans. Once again, jeans here just don't fit right. And they seem to like them extra tight around the butt. (Not to mention expensive and poor quality in most cases) Bring various pairs with you.

My list of things to bring if you have room:
1) sheets and towels.
2) curry / sauce mixes you might use regularly. And throw in a dozen Pataks or similar Rogan Josh for me too :)
3) any electronics you might want. You can get here, but they're expensive and /or very unknown brands.

My list of things I miss from home:
1) well cooked lamb at restaurants. I have given up ordering it here, it's always overcooked, dry and hard. (Any suggestions of good lamb places from other forum members most welcome)
2) Pavlova. My gas oven will not cook it properly.
3) the seaside

Hope this helps!

My list of things to definitely bring with you (ie there is no suitable replacement) are:
1) Underwear. Find a bra that fits and buy five at least. The bras here are measured differently and I suffered for years until I finally went to the US this summer and bought lots of bras that actually fit. Same goes for knickers. Argentine girls seem to go for very little coverage in the private parts region and they're hopeless quality. Buy up large at Bendon before coming over :)

Now this is advice every girl needs to hear.

Um, for my fellow kiwis, what routes/airlines do you take to fly between BA and NZ? I was just looking at the price of flights at the end of the year, and then realised the route I was looking at went through Dubai/was about 40 hours long. :blink:

Why are the cheapest flights the long way around? That makes no sense!

Oh, I have found some other flights which are about the same price and only 20 hours.

Aerolineas Argentinas ( complete shit airlines, but you wanted cheap!) ( I know from experience: 14 hour flight no TV, 1 hot meal the rest of the time you had to go to the galley for dry old ham sandwhiches). It goes through Sydney

LAN Airlines through Santiago. ( Personally I would go to there and go over land, so you see some of the country)

Get someone here to pay for the flight in pesos is much cheaper.

Aerolineas Argentinas ( complete shit airlines, but you wanted cheap!) ( I know from experience: 14 hour flight no TV, 1 hot meal the rest of the time you had to go to the galley for dry old ham sandwhiches). It goes through Sydney

LAN Airlines through Santiago. ( Personally I would go to there and go over land, so you see some of the country)

Get someone here to pay for the flight in pesos is much cheaper.

If it is anything like Tiger Airlines I would prefer to pay a few hundred dollars more than go through that experience again...

It was just the stupid webjet site that said Emirates was the cheapest option, but after checking some other sites, that wasn't even true.

Back