Knife robbery attempt in Palermo

The only " legitimate " means of defending oneself is with proper training. If you don't want to be a victim, learn how to defend yourself. Carrying guns and knives makes you just as cowardly as the ones you are trying to protect yourself from. But I digress. Carry on.

bigbadwolf said:
That is the reason one carries a weapon: to use it if necessary. And what measures do you advocate for legitimate self-defence? Other than pepper spray?

I have to admit it - I've started carrying a cane myself now - I have had some problems with the circulation in one of my legs anyway - and I've recently found a chap here in BA who sells beautiful antique sword canes - just thought I would mention that if anyone is interested... I'm not advocating anything in particular here - there are those who would like to take precautions and those who would not - ultimately what somebody does (or doesn't do) is up to them - but if someone ever pulls a knife on me I'd like to have something a lot longer and bigger to respond with - if I should chose to do so... Every situation is different and there are times when you can run and there are times when you can't - but its always good to have options...

citygirl said:
As for the rest - 3 a.m. is not a good time to be walking along in BsAs, no matter how "safe" the area seems to be. The only people out at that time are those who have probably had a few drinks and those that are looking to prey on the people that have had a few drinks. Play it safe, take a cab.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you:(

3 a.m. is not a good time to be walking in any urban area. I think someone else on this forum once referred to it as "stupid o'clock in the morning." I would add that Palermo Hollywood is not a 'safe' area. It's still very rough.

"Just take a taxi" is certainly an easy answer, but when you're literally going a few blocks you're going to be on the street longer trying to find one than if you just walked. Although I guess you could always phone from whatever noisy club you're in.

And then you could get that guy who took me 20 blocks out of my way to get petrol when I kept telling him there was a station right beside where I was staying. Refusing to pay the whole fare was a fun spanish vocabulary lesson :D

I do love the nightlife here but it can be complicated getting home sometimes!

CedarPawn said:
Knives (under 9 inches if memory serves) aren't illegal, comrade.

Welcome to the twilight zone, Cedar.

Código Contravencional
de la Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires. Ley N° 1.472

Titulo IV
Protección de la seguridad y la tranquilidad

Capítulo I - Seguridad pública

Artículo 85 - Portar armas no convencionales. Quien porta en la vía pública, sin causa que lo justifique, cualquier tipo de arma no convencional, de aire o gas comprimido, arma blanca u objetos cortantes
o contundentes inequívocamente destinados a ejercer violencia o agredir
, es sancionado/a con multa de un mil ($ 1.000) a tres mil ($ 3.000) pesos o cinco (5) a quince (15) días de arresto.

Source: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/seguridad_justicia/justicia_trabajo/contravencional/completo.php

Yet another example of water-clear (Riachuelo water) Argentine law. Apparently, size is not the issue. Intentions are. I highlighted the words IMO they could try to manipulate. By "they" I mean the authorities. Ejercer violencia (to exercise violence) is their wild card. You don't want to give them the impression that you're ready to defend yourself violently. That's your wild car. If you can keep knife and weapon separated, you're on the legal side. Have you heard the popular say "¡Qué país generoso!"? It is!!! Well, at least this city. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately it often seems that in Argentina even if the person you defend yourself against or kill is an intruder in your private home, you've got even chances with the intruder that it will be you that ends up in jail, not them.

TheBlackHand said:
The only " legitimate " means of defending oneself is with proper training. If you don't want to be a victim, learn how to defend yourself. Carrying guns and knives makes you just as cowardly as the ones you are trying to protect yourself from. But I digress. Carry on.

Looks like you've been watching too many Steven Seagal films.

TheBlackHand said:

I think this is just pot-stirring. No one could seriously be this ridiculous. "Yeah, I'm being mugged and threatened, but I haven't had 'proper training' so I guess I'll just give you all my stuff."

If you honestly believe that, please PM me your address...I'll be over later tonight to take all your things.

scottb said:
I think this is just pot-stirring. No one could seriously be this ridiculous. "Yeah, I'm being mugged and threatened, but I haven't had 'proper training' so I guess I'll just give you all my stuff."

If you honestly believe that, please PM me your address...I'll be over later tonight to take all your things.

If someone comes up to me and puts a gun or a knife to me, they're going to get whatever is in my pockets. I guess for no other reason than I can't see myself doing very well in a knife or gun fight. I'd much rather replace the cash and phone in my pockets in a couple hours than end up in the hospital wounded.

If other people feel differently, that's their prerogative I suppose.

Hache said:
Welcome to the twilight zone, Cedar.

Source: http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/seguridad_justicia/justicia_trabajo/contravencional/completo.php

Yet another example of water-clear (Riachuelo water) Argentine law. Apparently, size is not the issue. Intentions are. I highlighted the words IMO they could try to manipulate. By "they" I mean the authorities. Ejercer violencia (to exercise violence) is their wild card. You don't want to give them the impression that you're ready to defend yourself violently. That's your wild car. If you can keep knife and weapon separated, you're on the legal side. Have you heard the popular say "¡Qué país generoso!"? It is!!! Well, at least this city. :rolleyes:
I don't think this is talking about your intentions, rather the design of the knife. Which is to say, a kitchen knife is probably ok, a sword cane, probably not.

Back