Landlady claiming rent transfer did not go through

i agree with city girl, sounds to me like funds were sent, but not "liquidated" yet by central bank. i once had a USD wire sent from canada here to BA and it took me three months to have to drop in local account. and that was from my personal account outside to my personal account here.
anyway, good luck and it sounds at most that she may just need some paperwork from you showing the origin of your funds and when you sent from outside bank.

Uff - that is probably not going to be an easy process. I'm really shocked she agreed to it.

Print out copies of your wire transfer confirmations and give them to her. She'll need to contact her bank here and will have to go through a process with her bank to ensure that the funds are released by the CB.

What did you put as reason for the wire transfer? Depending on that, the CB may hold on to 30% of the funds for up to a year.

If the wire has successfully gone out and everything looks good from the OP bank's end, then there is little more than the OP can do and IMO, it is the landlady (especially since she originally agreed to this method of payment) who would need to follow up why it hasnt yet come through on her end.

I doubt that for security reasons the OP could even follow up any further than on his bank's end, as the Argentine bank/Central bank will not give him any info as it is the receipient who holds the account in Argentina.

TheBlackHand said:
Or maybe it's just time to take the training wheels off there big guy.

To be fair BlackHand banking is typically a less stressful and somewhat easy experience in US and Europe so when you make a money transfer it goes through without endless calls and visits to the bank with one party calling each other a liar etc (there are exceptions of course). The unknown nature of banking in Bsas turns us all into pre-school infants as suddenly we're expected to be calling the clearing bank, hassling daily etc. As an employer paying in USD to various contractors I learnt this the hard way and you are absolutely right that the onus is on me the sender to get the money into the hands of the receiver. It's a shame there's no booklet warning about the possible pitfalls for the first time transferrer however so be kind!:)

creyescruz said:
This forum is for helping one another. If you can't do that in a constructive, considerate way, go reply somewhere else, please. Asking for the advice and experience of others is, believe it or not, quite healthy. Your attitude is not.

Well-said.

i would suggest you contact your bank and request the following:

The route of payment...if your bank and her bank do not have arranged realtionship then a bank that has to both is used internally to facilitate the transfer and where delays often occur.. if it did go this way insist that your bank get the routing and payment confirmation between that bank and your landlords bank... Once you have that data and provided it to the landlord it really is then in her hands as if you can prove the day and transfer number it reached her bank if they are any clearing issues on her side with the transfer number from the paying bank they are able to know exactly where the funds are..
2, if its direct between your bank and her easier..get your bank to provide the confirmation date and internal transaction number of payment to the landlords bank or have them contact the lanlords bank if they wont give you the data and they (landlords bank) then with that must within i think (been a while since i have done this) its max 72 hours advise position of the funds

good luck :)

If you need a forum to tell you to do the right thing you're the one with the problem. If I owe someone money and I send an international wire and they are telling me they never received it, the first thing I would do is try my best to resolve the issue asap with that person and the banks so the person I owe money to gets paid and I am no longer indebted.

The onus is on YOU to make sure you pay your rent and to make sure your landlord gets paid their rent. You are the one who decided to pay via international bank transfer ( which is the stupidest thing i've ever heard for a country with a banking system as complicated as Argentina ). The owner was nice enough to accept your offer, even though she is probably going to lose a alot of money, and you still expect her to go and chase around her rent payment like it's her problem ? If this is the case then I think your attitude is the one that's unhealthy.

If anything else, I hope this experience teaches the owner to never again agree to accept payments this way.

creyescruz said:
This forum is for helping one another. If you can't do that in a constructive, considerate way, go reply somewhere else, please. Asking for the advice and experience of others is, believe it or not, quite healthy. Your attitude is not.

Your reaction is remarkably over the top. What do you care if I seek the advice of others here?

Furthermore, to advise, in the most negative and childish way possible, any newcomer not to ask the advice of others who might have gone through the same experience here is simply and highly irresponsible and I must assume you or people you know benefit from the continued ignorance of newcomers like myself. Why else try to discourage us from trying to protect ourselves with as much knowledge as possible?

For the record, my bank confirms that the money was indeed received. And my landlady has given me absolutely no proof that she has not received the money. Thus, I need to protect myself if she continues her claims. And the information other, more helpful, posters to this forum have given me has been invaluable.

Back