"Leaving America"

Greenman said:
That "Im american too" is an Argentine obsession.
They drive me up the wall with that

Uruguay is obsessed with it too. It would be interesting to know what the attitude towards the issue is in other Latin American countries.

mcaffa said:
Uruguay is obsessed with it too. It would be interesting to know what the attitude towards the issue is in other Latin American countries.

My Colombian friend said her country does it too. They see it as a sign of 'American' arrogance.

mobri1130 said:
My Colombian friend said her country does it too. They see it as a sign of 'American' arrogance.

I wonder if they see the irony of that or if they include themselves when "religious" terrorists say "Death to America" or European protesters carry signs that read "Down With America" as they burn the American flag.

Greenman said:

Seems that apply to the Puerto Ricans as well :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Greenman

mcaffa said:

Yes, that country is in America too

Originally Posted by mcaffa

mobri1130 said:

Why do all these people are obsessed?...What are the motives for that?

Well, the motives are that those countries are in AMERICA TOO!!

Lucas said:

Not really. Those countries are in South America. It simply does not make sense in English to say they are in America. This is because (thanks to common usage of the term throughout the English speaking world) the United States "owns" the title "America" as a singular country.

I have lived south of the Rio Grande for ten years. While I was living in Mexico I always referred to myself as Norte Americano and this was the correct term to use there (as opposed to just saying I was an Americano). Ironically, Mexico is technically in North America, but Mexicans do NOT call themselves Americans (except for those lying to border control or US immigration agents). Neither do the inhabitants of Canada, Central, or South America when identifying themselves by their nationality. They may say in English, "We are Americans, too." but in the context of nationality that is misleading if not meaningless unless they are naturalized American citizens.

If they want to say "somos americanos" they are free to do so, but they simply aren't Americans the way the term is commonly used.

In the French film L'american, my high school girlfriend had the line "Everyone wants to be an American." No one in the world thought she was referring to the people of Colombia, Uruguay, or Argentina. I do acknowledge, however, that there are citizens of these countries who really are obsessed with becoming Americans.

Nonetheless, once in a while We Are All Americans:

http://ics01.ds.leeds.ac.uk/papers/vp01.cfm?outfit=pmt&requesttimeout=500&folder=428&paper=922

Lucas said:

Give me a break. This self inflicted slight to their egos is hilarious. The name of the country is United States of America. they are free to change their name of their country to some variation of America at any time.

What about:

"Leaving The FIRST World American Country That Isn't Canada"

Just a thought. :p

pato.barrientos said:
It should be called "LEAVING USA"

Why? The title is in English. In English (and in other languages, including Spanish) the country is call America.

Back