Looking For Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, asking Argentines everyone says that with english and a degree I could work anywhere (I find that hard to believe) but they insist and insist that I will be able to. I am just wondering what the REAL Outlook could be for me upon moving there and if I can expect to be without a job for a while...

Unfortunately the real outlook is that most people in major companies around the world are bilingual and already speak English and have a bachelor's or master's degree. I think that maybe many North Americans aren't aware of what's going on outside the U.S. and are often led to believe that their education is superior and that a US passport means that they're entitled to work an any large important corporation while earning high wages to boot. My brother is in Microsoft and he and his co-workers struggle to keep up with the Eastern Indians who are extremely smart, educated and bilingual thus taking jobs away from many US citizens.

Sorry the outlook everyone has given you is not great, it's not great hearing not-so-good news. But it's the stone cold truth. Fact is, you're not coming here for the money - I don't think any of us expats here are (if anyone is, please PM me immediately! :rolleyes: ).

You might want to look at a similar post I made, my first post ever if you look in my history, that thread got a lot of good insight from fellow expats.

I was in a similar situation, just graduated with a Bachelors in Business Admin. from a good American university, etc, etc, etc. I came with an American company to Argentina, a company which gave me a friendly "salary adjustment" to adjust to the "lower cost of living" in Argentina. When I asked if I was able to get paid in USD, my boss practically laughed in my face. Apparently they got in trouble for it in years past (or he may just be talking BS). In the end, anyone I've met earning in dollars is a highly skilled person with years of experience and good connections.

I make a good salary, now that they've adjusted for inflation, and live a nice lifestyle - but my friends back home are buying nice cars and putting down payments on American-dream type houses. Don't expect that. But, I do have a lifestyle local college grads with equal degrees don't have. So I can't complain.

Best advice is get an online job you can get paid for in dollars to work remotely. Second best advice is get a job with an American company that will give you the expat package. Sad truth is the locals working for my company in the same position as me don't make as much as I do, and they have more years of experience. Recent college grads have told me about the salaries they are coming across and it made my jaw drop, almost to the level of the salary multi-national companies are offering here. Pretty low.

Again, come here for the reasons you're coming. Enjoy it, just know you won't make US/Europe money. So enjoy Argentina for what you can't get out of the US, and that's a better lifestyle in the non-material sense, IMO.

Don't be scared off by the low salaries. But if I were you, make sure any job you get, you have salary adjustments for inflation in the contract. Personally, I wouldn't come for under 25,000 pesos monthly at all. That's me, personally. And that's a tough find locally. Get a job with an American company that needs you here before coming. Have a Plan B.

Best of luck to you!

Fact of the matter is that 90% expats who live here, despite all the problems here is simply to :-
1.Have a better sex life than they would back home
2. Get married to women half their age. And these women never get visa to go to US with their fatherly looking hubbieS.
3. Expat women live here to get a taste of Argie ---- on a nightly basis #IfYouKmowWhatIMean
4. Or in rare case deputed by a foreign company to work here temporarily

All the talk of living in Argentina for adventure and learning Spanish is bullshit talk.

Mine started with a fascination with the women but my wife is only 3 years younger yet she is very well preserved I guess you might say. And she lets me wear the pants which is almost impossible up North. Amazing how peaceful a house can be with one head. So I guess I fall into the BS category.. Thank God!

Mine started with a fascination with the women but my wife is only 3 years younger yet she is very well preserved I guess you might say. And she lets me wear the pants which is almost impossible up North. Amazing how peaceful a house can be with one head. So I guess I fall into the BS category.. Thank God!

You never told us yr love story. How you met her etc etc

You never told us yr love story. How you met her etc etc

That is funny too.. www.badoo.com I was working allot at the time. And would go there to chat with women in the evening. One night I chatted with her and then she left me alone for about 2 weeks. We chatted sporadically over over about a 3 month period. Most of the middle aged women came across a desperate. But since I perceived her as calm and not desperate she got my attention. LOL the rest is history. I had been through so much drama with women that I was really just interested in a peaceful life.

Funny part is she thought my profile pics and life story was all lies or an Argentinian posing as an American in BA... LOL which is why she was just sort of not paying attention to me. But she is not the average Argentine woman at all. She is possessive but not jealous, attentive but knows when to leave me alone which is priceless.

Again, come here for the reasons you're coming. Enjoy it, just know you won't make US/Europe money. So enjoy Argentina for what you can't get out of the US, and that's a better lifestyle in the non-material sense, IMO.

One of the drawbacks I foresee to coming here, or in general any lower paying country, is that when you are negotiating a position with a new company abroad (not in Arg.) the salary part would be though to discuss. I find it hard to believe that a company in the US would offer you $60k/y when in BsAs you are making half that money.
But that's just me guessing.

If I was the OP I would look for tele or wifi-communting work or freelance online. You could make allot more in less hours of labor.

I am assuming he and his wife have had those discussions. He just wants to know from the point of view of a expat.

OP : Yes, you may get a USD salary in Arg. But you need to be someone with exceptional skills which are much in demand in Argentina.
Can you or anybody else elaborate on this? I'm interested to know what such skills would be for various types of companies.

I find it hard to believe that a company in the US would offer you $60k/y when in BsAs you are making half that money.
But that's just me guessing.

Don't know about US company how they pay their foreign bound employee. If is the case of Nipponese company sending one of their
employee to place him/her in foreign country, 1st the pay in home country stays then foreign country living expense paid too.
IE, housing,foods,transportation,medical etc.

Don't know about US company how they pay their foreign bound employee.

No, no, I meant a different thing. I imagine a guy like aholm, who is living here and who want to go work elsewhere. He applies for a job - say - in the US, and the usual questions pop up: What is your salary requirements and what is your current salary.
What kind of impression could give the answer "I make 30k (in Argentina) and I want 60k (in the US)?". Let's not pretend that everybody in the world knows the cost/standard of living of this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back