Los Angeles to BA, english speaking noob

mikebikeboy

Registered
Hey everyone, name is Mike and I'm a 26 year old guy coming to BA on April 1st...I'll be learning Spanish after I get there but right now, don't know but a noun or two and a couple verbs. hahaha, so my first days are going to be a bit wacky. Are there any get-togethers coming up or does anyone wanna meet me for a drink or something?
I'll be in Barracas. Does anyone know about that hood and what it's like? I hear it's off the "tourist beaten" track...which I like. any thoughts? Much appreciated! Mike

I've good friends who live there. True, one sees few foreigners there (save in the ever-popular park), but there are many tourists at times.

thanks.also., someone told me that if I don't look like a porteno in barracas, i could be more easily targeted for a hold up or some kind of crime like that...but what does a porteno look like? hahaha...i'm scottish with light skin and tons of freckles, green eyes, light brown hair, about 5'11 tall..is that a porteno? hahaha i'm not scared, i mean, common sense is always key for any neighborhood but just wondering...

You needn't stand out (I'm somewhat taller, slender and fair, and over the course of many years of spending a few weeks or months in Bs.As. have never had a problem); just don't try to look like a tourist. If that troubles you, though, you could stay where many Argentines of British descent live, mostly in the suburbs to the northwest of the C.F.
That would be more expensive and, to my way of thinking, rather less fun for a tourist.

"mikebikeboy" said:
thanks.
also., someone told me that if I don't look like a porteno in barracas, i could be more easily targeted for a hold up or some kind of crime like that...but what does a porteno look like? hahaha...i'm scottish with light skin and tons of freckles, green eyes, light brown hair, about 5'11 tall..is that a porteno? hahaha
i'm not scared, i mean, common sense is always key for any neighborhood but just wondering...
get to know the argentine (and vocabulary of) football - watch the games in the local bars and cafes - you will soon fit in.
You will be within spitting distance of the Boca heartland. Like living next to Parkhead.
except that is if you are a Rangers fan - then they will obviously chase you out of town.

So long as you bring up Boca, why not check out my recent blog posts about the Boca Jrs. vs. Independiente match?

http://ibinba.blogspot.com/They are two posts, titledBoca Juniors Match, Parte Uno
yBoca Juniors Match, Parte Dos

Back