Lots Of Money Found. What Would You Do?

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
The other day I went into my local bank to make a deposit. At the ATM machine that is located inside the bank I found a bank envelope full of money that apparently did not get pulled into the machine from the previous client. I won't disclose how much money this envelope contained, but it was a VERY large amount.

I discussed this with an Argentine acquaintance after the fact and he and I disagree on the appropriate course of action. Without disclosing what actions I took I'm interested to hear what you would do in this situation and the respective laws in Argentina that apply to this scenario.

Facts:
The ATM was inside the bank.
This was during normal bank working hours.
The envelope was lodged in the slot in the ATM for deposits.
The envelope was sealed.
The ATM was showing the transaction complete - screen closed and waiting for the next client to enter their information.

GS

Quite frankly you would have a hard time finding someone to return the money to. No question about it, the money should be returned. There is no guarantee however that the bank employee you hand it to would do the right thing. I've never used ATM deposits here, back home the ATMs count the cash right away and the money gets credited to the account. I'm thinking it's a manual process here. If that's the case you'd be affecting the guy who made the deposit. I would call the number on the back of my card, that would create an official ticket number or so, then I would probably be instructed to hand it over to some employee at that branch. In that scenario, there wouldn't be any room for any monkey business and I would be able to walk away knowing I did the right thing.

As far as the law goes, I have no idea, but all ATMs have cameras and even if you're not stealing anything per se, I just wouldn't pretend like nothing will happen if I just walk away with it.

When you make a cash deposit in the ATM, it prints a ticket with the deposit information, including amount, transaction number, and account number, which you're supposed to put in the envelope with the cash when you make the deposit.

Did you find this ticket?

If so, I'd make a copy of that ticket and give the money to one of the employees at the desks inside the bank, in the presence of one of his/her peers, and get a receipt.

If there's no deposit slip, it's highly unlikely that the money will ever find it's way to the owner (based on personal experience with an ATM incident).

I bet you ran into that weird Argentine brick wall on this, where any Argy you ask would say it's problematic or risky to keep the money, and that you should keep it and just be quiet or you will run into problems, when in fact every common sense fiber is telling you the opposite. I really don't get that mentality - frankly it's more than a bit annoying sometimes.

Anyway, there being cameras around ATM's I would have been nervous about leaving the premises, and probably would have taken it straight to the bank manager, with as many people as possible being aware of it, so that one or two employees would not have the chance to secretly take it without anyone knowing. Maybe 10 minutes later after I left I would be thinking a bit more logically and would realize I should have made them count it, sign for the receipt of it with somebody showing me an ID for the receipt, and looked inside the envelope for some kind of identifying info to contact the depositor directly and inform them of what happened. I'd have a slight nagging worry about it occasionally for a week or two (that some or money would go missing and they would pin it on me), until it blew over and I in the end I'd be glad I did the right thing.

Or maybe just keep it for a dog-poop patrol super-hero costume and gear... "Gringo Man", or "Super Yankee", including a scoop and bomb radio-controlled copter.

Suggest you contact the branch office manager immediately. Explain the facts, give them the doe and make sure that they will contact you as soon as the money is returned. Get a receipt.

You are very likely on the video surveillance recording and if you did any bank transactions before or afterwards it is also likely that you'll be identified at some point. Why buy into trouble?

Let the security guard know you've returned the money, He's likely the first one to be asked if the customer comes back.

More you keep it with yourself your greed will grow more, return it to manager, like everyone else is suggesting and don't worry about the right owner will get it or not, you just have to do your part, and leave the responsibility on manager's shoulder.

Remember one thing though no good deed goes unpunished...

Not really like finding the money in the street, you have a way to find who this belongs too.

If that was me:
- I try to return the money
- I inform the bank but I don't disclose the amount: let them tell you how much was in the enveloppe (assuming the ATM operation went wrong & something is recorded or even if the ATM operation didn't went through, in which case the owner should be able to tell how much was inside). If they are unable to tell the amount, then it's something else.

There's likely something along the lines of having the possession of something in good faith (like finding bills in the middle of nowhere with nobody around), which is not the case here.

When I was a child, my parents taught me to never pick up money found on the road or else where which does not belong to you.
I have abided with it all my life.

I wuld have just left the envelope there and walked away to another ATM machine.

So you took the money and walked off with it. You and your friend opened the envelope and counted the amount within right? If you have walked off with the find, you have already commited a theft, you should have gone straight to the bank manager and hand over the found money. Of course with witness present and count the money then get a receipt from the bank mamager signed . This way when the original owner found, he / she can not come up with story that amount was more in the envelope etc. You should have covered your ass then, Why you took the money outside the premisses?

Back