Lots Of Money Found. What Would You Do?

I left my wallet at the bank. It fell out if my purse and I didn't realize it until,a half hour later. Knowing it had to be there I approached the banker that I always work with and told her what happended. She called every person that had been in the bank while I was there and personal,y asked them if they found a wallet...the guilty party said yes and that he was "planning on returning it shortly" but he had walked out of the bank with it! He met me and my banker and returned it to me in my presence, but I could swear it was missing about 200 pesos. This was no poor person either. He was known to the banker. The good thing, I got my wallet back with all the important papers and documents. The bad news, that HE didn't do the right thing and immediately give it to the bank manager. In the time I was waiting to hear something I had to stop two credit cards and health insurance and get a new Sube card. When I got the call they had the wallet I was relieved. But nonetheless something of my hope and belief in the goodness of people got reduced.
So DirtBoy that could've been me, or any of us. Think about the suffering that the person who lost the money is going through. Would you want to be a part of that? I don't think so knowing the little bit about you that I do. For those that say "well the bank manager will just keep it so don't give it to them" --I'm proof that that is wrong. Anyway, it wouldn't be on YOUR conscience.

I would have tried to push the envelope into the damn machine.

I was going to say the same thing, I think I would go through the deposit process and have my own envelope ready, then when making the deposit the slot usually stays open long enough... push the first envelope in and then yours as well! Would that not work?

You'd have to be nuts not to return the money. It's a crime (theft by finding), the true owner of the money is going to notice the loss fairly quickly when the payment goes missing, there's cameras everywhere in a bank, making it easy to identify you, as well as any transaction you made will make it even easier.

Art. 175 de Codigo Penal:

ARTICULO 175. - Será reprimido con multa de mil pesos a quince mil pesos:

1º. El que encontrare perdida una cosa que no le pertenezca o un tesoro y se apropiare la cosa o la parte del tesoro correspondiente al propietario del suelo, sin observar las prescripciones del Código Civil;

2º. El que se apropiare una cosa ajena, en cuya tenencia hubiere entrado a consecuencia de un error o de un caso fortuito;

We have back home laws that rewards persons for lost and found reported. When found just return it to the police kiosks, many in Tokyo area. The rewards is a 10% of its content rewarded to the finder. And the finds are mostly money . It is not finder's keepers...

You'd have to be nuts not to return the money. It's a crime (theft by finding), the true owner of the money is going to notice the loss fairly quickly when the payment goes missing, there's cameras everywhere in a bank, making it easy to identify you, as well as any transaction you made will make it even easier.

Art. 175 de Codigo Penal:

15K pesos might not be so bad. I'm sure there are also possible criminal charges.

Don't they manually count the money in the ATM at night? Even if there's a receipt saying the transaction went through, but there's x amount of money missing the person that money was meant for won't receive it. I would let the bank manager know and leave a phone number to pass on to the person that tried to make the deposit to you so they can call you and you can return the money to them. I don't know if I would leave it with bank employees. Who knows if they would return it.

I once found a wallet at the grocery store and let the supermarket manager know and asked them to have the rightful owner of the wallet call me and the next day they did and I returned it to them. I was to afraid the wallet and it's contents would disappear if left int he hands of the store manager.

Back