Lovely Kitten needs a home

Exactly.

All she has done is lower the animals chances of finding a real home. It is what it is, but I personally think treating animals like temporary rentals is wrong, however which way you try to spin it. People are free to disagree, but you're not going to change my opinion by attacking it.

Ashley said:
Also - it's a lot more likely that a kitten/puppy will be adopted over an adult animal. Thereby, yes, I believe that taking a kitten/puppy in for a few months is not doing it a favour, but rather lowering it's chances of finding a permanent home.

Seriously??
Yes... surprisingly enough I have heard of Foster Parents. A great friend of mine fosters teenage children. And I really don't think it has anything to do with the point I made - se estan llendo al carajo!
Children are usually fostered out a) because their biological parents require a respite due to illness, behavioural problems, personal issues, etc - with the view of later being returned to these parents or b) because they are awaiting a permanent placement (aka: adoption). Foster children move from foster parent to foster parent or from foster parent to a children's home or from a foster parent to independent living (when they reach 18, I think, in the UK) or from a foster parent to an adoptive parent. Foster parents have to meet stringent requirements to foster a child and when that child's time is up with that particular parent (for whatever reason), they are not then deposited on the streets or placed for re-adoption on Craigslist! There is a system in place to protect them (all be it a flawed system). Most people would also agree that a permanent home with loving parents is usually a far better option for a child than a lifetime moving from one temporary family to the next. Unfortunately, for many older children or children with special needs, temporary homes are the only ones available. This doesn't exist for animals in any way, shape or form.

The comparison I was actually trying to make was that it would be completely unacceptable (and cruel) for me to drive around Retiro, spot myself a cute-looking street kid, take him home, clean him up, feed him, clothe him and love him for 18 months and then, when it was time for me to go back home to the UK, decide that it was financially or personally inconvenient to take him back, so try to pile him off on somewhere else or leave him behind. That was the point I was making...one which has nothing to do with an established foster care system.

Perhaps if an expat had "fostered" an older cat or a cat with problems for a while before releasing it back into a system of other foster cat parents, there wouldn't be a problem. But that's unlikely to be the case, is it?

The problem arises when an expat "adopts" a baby animal (which has a higher chance of finding a permanent home while it's still young and cute) and then decides that it can't commit to providing a permanent home later...when, chances are, no one is going to want it now that it's older. Is my point really so difficult to understand?

Also, like I said numerous times, I'm not commenting on Anushka's particular situation as I don't know it! Perhaps the cat was dumped on her, perhaps it followed her home, perhaps it was in danger or perhaps she went to a rescue centre and adopted it because it was cute at the time and didn't think about a long-term commitment...I have no idea. I was merely commenting on a practice that I know goes on among some expats here and that I think is ultimately detrimental to the animal. End of.

UOTE=bradlyhale;68938]You seem to be very disconnected from reality. Regarding children, you live in a city where many don't have Moms or Dads. It's particularly problematic in the villas miserias. Wouldn't you agree that any stable home is better than no home at all, even if it's temporary? Let's stop being holier-than-thou for a second and think about the alternative.

Have you ever heard of foster children? How do you feel about foster parents? You know, those people who take homeless kids in on a temporary basis? Are they horrible people who only take in children for some warm fuzzies? Or should these kids just stay in orphanages or remain homeless?

If Anushka had not taken the cat, where would she have gone? What if she never found a home? Would the cat be wandering the streets, eating scraps from trash? Would she have been put down? Hit by a colectivo?

Geesh, some people will find a reason to complain about anything.[/QUOTE]

Wow i hadnt checked this cos i think a family is taking my lovely kitty. First of all - the cat was found on the street by someone who just couldnt look after her. Me and my argentina boyfriend adopted her cos she had no-where else to go and we didnt want her to have to go to the botanic gardens being less than 2 months old. Secondly, I found out i had to go back home unexpetedly. Third, we found out about taking her to the UK IN GREAT DETAIL and alhtough there is no quarantine it costs £1500 at least with all the health checks and to fly with BA (there are VERY STRICT regulations).

So please don't go accusing me of adopting her in a inresponsible manner. We gave her a home when no-one else would and she would have been abandoned on the street. I am HEART BROKEN that i am too poor to be able to take her. I think it's v v rude to accuse me when actually i am extradinarily upset that i can't bring her with me and i would if i could. actually my boyfriend is here until december but we started looking for a home for her as soon as we found out it would be out of our budget. If you would like to give me £1500 i would more than happily take it and her.

This site has so much abuse for little comments it is ridiculous. I hope my pistaccio finds a lovely home and no thanks to you.

Lol,

Right on Anushka. I also hope the kitten finds a home with someone willing to make a lifelong commitment. Something, I am sure you would agree, it deserved from the start.

Does anyone actually read the content of these posts.
For the (4th/5th???) time, NO ONE is accusing Anushka of anything...because NO ONE was aware of the original circumstances. This was highlighted in my original post...and throughout the entire thread. Your thread, Anushka, merely provoked this debate about people who (unlike you, it turns out) DO actively seek out animal adoptions without thinking it through.
I apologise for causing you any offence as this was certainly not my intention. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in separating your post from the issue by starting my own thread. I regret not making this decision. I was certainly a little taken aback to be suddenly accused of attacking someone personally (by several postee's) when I believe I was pretty clear from the beginning that this was NOT the case.
I'm not going to apologise for sparking debate on a REAL ISSUE - just for the forum/post I selected to do so!
I really do hope that you are able to rehome your cat. Michimiau http://www.centromichimiau.com.ar/ is a pretty good centre that might be able to help you.

Anushka said:
If you would like to give me £1500 i would more than happily take it and her.

This site has so much abuse for little comments it is ridiculous. I hope my pistaccio finds a lovely home and no thanks to you.

< APPLAUSE >

That's telling them, Anushka. Let the sanctimonious people who criticized you for taking in that kitten raise the money for her trip to the UK.

Reactions: jp
I don't think Ashley was attacking the OP.

I have seen and heard of at least 5 or 6 cases of expats adopting a cute kitten or puppy and then after a few months realizing it was too much work or (the majority of the time), having to leave and making little or no provisions for their pet who usually winds up back on the street or off in the campo where it can "run free" (aka - starve to death, be run over by a car or killed by another animal).

I've been here 3 years - I'm dying to have a pet. But I travel and I know that it wouldn't be fair. And if/when I do adopt a pet, that pet will be mine for life. And yes - part of pet ownership is cost. And taking that into account BEFORE adopting.

This isn't directed at the OP but FWIW, I think Ashley is spot on in her comments directed towards a general audience.

Thank you CityGirl!
And yes Sarasara, taking home an animal is ****ing expensive! Which is precisely the point I was trying to make: THINK BEFORE YOU ADOPT! It's not so much sanctimonious and more common sense really. Telling people to pay for someone else to ship their animal home (or to shut-up, basically) isn't really going to solve the problem, nor is it the point. This has nothing to do with Anushka's personal cat situation... (which I sincerely hope she can resolve) and much more to do with making other expats who are thinking about ACTIVELY SEEKING OUT the adoption of an animal aware of the harsh reality when it comes to bringing that animal home. A lot of us aren't fully established here, we earn in pesos...it's a major responsibility. By all means, take in an animal as a last-resort while finding a permanent home (as it seems is the case with the OP) but certainly don't look to put yourself or an animal in that situation unless you're aware of the pitfalls and still willing/able to commit.
ok...I'm done with this now

Taking a medium-sized dog back to the States is under three-hundred dollars.

For cat or a small dog allowed to travel in the cabin, the cost is under fifty dollars. A small price to pay for the joy of having a pet in BA.

Back