Lox And Bagels Anyone... Where?

there is a huge difference between farmed salmon and wild salmon.
personally, I will not eat farmed salmon, for both ethical and taste reasons.
great lox comes from wild salmon.

there is a huge difference between farmed salmon and wild salmon.
personally, I will not eat farmed salmon, for both ethical and taste reasons.
great lox comes from wild salmon.

How can you tell where a pack of smoked salmon in the supermarket comes from...

if its wild salmon, it will say so.
It it isnt, it wont.
Kind of like how real Scotch, from Scotland, will say so right on the bottle, whereas the stuff at the Chino will say Industria Argentina.

I am lucky enough to have friends who are salmon fishermen, who catch em in Alaska.
you can taste the difference.

How can you tell where a pack of smoked salmon in the supermarket comes from...
The farmed salmon has a color closer to orange, more fat between the meat, or muscles and the "belly" is wider than the rest of the body

if its wild salmon, it will say so.
It it isnt, it wont.
Kind of like how real Scotch, from Scotland, will say so right on the bottle, whereas the stuff at the Chino will say Industria Argentina.

I am lucky enough to have friends who are salmon fishermen, who catch em in Alaska.
you can taste the difference.

Guess there must be a difference, I've Only tasted Smoked Salmon from Norway, Scotland , Chile and Washington , All farmed Salmon. Whether Atlantic of Pacific Salmon. :cool: I was in the Smoked Salmon business.

The farmed salmon has a color closer to orange, more fat between the meat, or muscles and the "belly" is wider than the rest of the body

Hard to tell when you buy a packed smoked sliced side of Salmon

Really the salmon either wild or farmed from Norway,Chile or Alaska is not labeled in any way to show verification of origin?
I don't buy salmon but it sounds a little strange to me.
I would think that there should be some legal requirement to that effect.
Bajo,are you listening in?

Much to my surprise I've had some very decent quality Chilean smoked salmon however that was several years ago. The last few times I bought it the quality has been ruddy awful....being very dry and with a colour that was far from natural. I have toyed with the idea of smoking a side of salmon myself however my fear is the fresh salmon won't be any better. And anyway, sourcing good sawdust for smoking is proving elusive.

Back