Making Women Feel More Comfortable Here (Women's Only Poll)

Do you sometimes feel uncomfortable reading posts posted in the BA Expats forums?

• Yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Rich One, I can't comment too much on New Zealand issues because I haven't lived there since October 2000. I find their politics boring and parochial compared to Argentina :) . I could mention the cases of corruption scandals that I remember, like the politician who I think was fired for purchasing an $80 pair of silk boxers with his work credit card, or the woman who used govt money meant for poor schools to have a tummy stapling operation, she ended up in jail, I think. But if you don't know much about NZ, these comments don't have much relevance to the majority of political discussions on this board.
By US centric, I mean that any discussion on life in Argentina ends up being a comparison with life in the US. Probably because the majority either are from there or lived there. I enjoy reading these discussions but can't contribute to them once they become a comparison with the US. My experience of 2 trips to Disney doesn't count for much :)

Very good comments I feel the same way as you do. However one can solve that problem by banning 2 or 3 culprits that will never let go about Obamacare or the US Corporate International Plot/Conspiracy :D

I think you get a lot of lurkers and low activity members at the coffee chats because they're held at 4pm on weekdays. That's a somewhat complicated time for most of us long term expats (or really most people who aren't retired/on vacation/on a gap year/working remotely).

I agree. We've had only a fraction of the forum readers due to timing. Most who've attended have been self employed, students, travelers, those that have the day/afternoon off, those that choose their own hours, unemployed, or retired.

Not a good sample for theories about your typical expat or forum reader.

First, you are a jerk.

Second, what do we mean by US-centric is not referred to a contest "let's see who's the best of the World".
I will make an example, so that you can't give your jerk-attitude a rest.
Just a simple question like "Why aren't credit cards just like in the US?" is a little narrow-minded, because it is crystal-clear that the poster i) is from the US ii) never wondered if elsewhere in the world things are different iii) never asked himself if there are things which are better outside the US.

AFAIK, most of credit card systems are unlike the US credit card system. The comments following on that thread were on the tone "oh, in the US they give credit cards to anybody, they literally throw it in your mail", which totally ignored the credit score and credit history issue, like if it was non-existent. Indeed, it might be non-existent to US citizen with an employment and a certain earning, but it is extremely relevant for new immigrant to the US, people who maybe have a bad credit history, or unemployed. But, of course, the US citizen posting here are all WASP, so they have never been touched by "the others" and their issues.

Back to the credit card thread - On those premises, anybody from elsewhere than the US feels like that thread is not about them. Because all of the posters will be likely from the US, having assumed that is the best credit card system in the world. I noticed that US-Americans have no interest whatsoever in other countries, never ask for opinions from people from a different culture/country, just assume that anywhere outside the US everything is worse, except maybe the climate.

This is an example of US-centrism.

Funny that you had to relegate the issue to politics and someone else's behaviours (i.e. politicians).

Before I respond must analyze your post further :cool:

jerk: a contemptibly obnoxious person.

Will respond later, Not sure I understood your well intentioned and extensive in-and-out example about US credit cards :rolleyes:

I'm fine with sticking up for my point of view. No need for anything there.
I don't like it when expat members casually use words like slut or bitch, as I've mentioned before. I wouldn't refer to anyone like that. Just my manners and common sense.

Name calling is exactly the kind of thing that I believe, makes "lurkers" and other non-posters, reluctant to express themselves..nothing wrong with disliking someone's OPINIONS but attacking them PERSONALLY when you don't know them at all, in my opinion is hostile and does nothing to encourage open communication. I just don't get why people feel it's ok to treat each other like that...

I was gonna hit on you but then I saw you holding a pair of scissors. Completely by chance my wife was holding a pair, too. :)

Back