Mercadolibre Basics

Thanks for the several helpful comments. I was especially interested in the option to buy something "sin compromiso". But I did not see that mentioned in the (rather sparse) help. And when I click on "Comprar" the very next screen wants me to "Confirmar "compra". Will the option to buy sin compromiso come up latter in the process?

Also, the person selling the piano I am looking at has no reputation. Apparently his first sale. Especially given my lack of Spanish skills the easiest thing for me would be a cash transaction. But I worry about being robbed. What would be reasonable alternatives to cash for a Spanish-challenged tourist? (I would not be taking the piano home with me - that would be insane. It would be used during my annual visits here.)

Thanks, Bob

Thanks for the several helpful comments. I was especially interested in the option to buy something "sin compromiso". But I did not see that mentioned in the (rather sparse) help. And when I click on "Comprar" the very next screen wants me to "Confirmar "compra". Will the option to buy sin compromiso come up latter in the process?

Also, the person selling the piano I am looking at has no reputation. Apparently his first sale. Especially given my lack of Spanish skills the easiest thing for me would be a cash transaction. But I worry about being robbed. What would be reasonable alternatives to cash for a Spanish-challenged tourist? (I would not be taking the piano home with me - that would be insane. It would be used during my annual visits here

There isn't an option to check when making a compra sin compromiso. You must ask the seller if this is acceptable by sending a pregunta before you make the purchase. After you confirm the "compra" you will have on line payment options and you will choose the option to arrange the payment with the seller. You will do the same regarding the delivery.

After the conditional "compra" you can go to see the piano and if you decide to buy it you can arrange for a truck to pick it up and deliver it to your apartment. I suggest you go with the driver and pay for the piano when you pick it up.

I bought dozens of items this way when I was living in Capital Federal and never had the slightest problem regarding security. There were only a few items that were not in as good condition as described in the listings. I did not buy them (and I was polite about not wanting them). The sellers and I gave each other neutral ratings.

PS: I still occasionally use google translate to compose questions but I always edit the result (based on what I've learned by reading questions other buyers have asked).

MercadoLibre employee here ;-)

As Steve mentions, you can send a message to the seller, basically saying that you're really interested in the piano and that you'd like to place an offer for it ("hacer una oferta") but that, obviously you'd like to inspect it. Basically, a commitment that you are a serious buyer -- the attitude being "I'm buying it, unless there is something wrong with it" (instead of, "let me inspect it and only if I like it and everything is right, then I might buy it"). It is totally reasonable to do so, especially for used items (same thing happens with eBay btw for large items). If things don't work, just say that deal did not happen and give each other neutral ratings (and yes, technically you could say it did not happen when it really did to help the seller save on commission, but the system is designed to incentivize the factual reporting of completion, by "boosting" sellers with more completed transactions)

You can pay either with cash (in person) or via MercadoPago, through the RapiPago option. With MercadoPago, it is an escrow service so it protects you in case the deal does not happen, or if the goods are DOA/damaged (you can start a dispute process such as what Ceviche seems to be doing). With cash, you are taking all the responsibilities for the goods. Paying through MercadoShops/RapiPago, you'd be given a printout that you bring to RapiPago locations where you can pay with cash -- it is a bit more of a hassle, but it is secure.

In terms of seeing the item, I'd bring a friend with you if possible. However, if you think about it, the seller is really taking the risk of allowing you into their home (I assume that's where you'd see a piano in a private sale). The fact that there is no reputation, just means that they are not frequent sellers -- perhaps you can check on their "buyer" reputation -- or as you say, it is a new account (also not unusual).

i started a reclamo.

i ordered a month ago.

the seller is very hostile.

Hostility/threats are strictly prohibited and can prevent sellers from continuing in the site -- Mention that in your reclamo.

Steve or wongjoh, can I pick your brains since ya'll are very on it with ML? I'm a relatively new seller on ML and have made 11 sales, 9 that were "concretadas" and they all left me positive ratings. the other 2 cancelled on their ends and flaked out, I reported it as no lo entregue and why and got the refund on my commission etc, as ML Help page instructs.

So despite that all my reputacion is positive, they show my reputacion as yellow on their little bar that shows where you stand, because: Comparado con el resto de los vendedores de tu segmento, tienes una baja cantidad de ventas concretadas

Is that because of the 2 sales that got flaked out on by horrible buyers?? It's frustrating since I've never done anything wrong in my transactions with ML or my buyers

The reputation (and therefore boosting on search results) depends largely on 2 factors: # of successfully and happily completed transactions and amount of each transaction. Therefore if there are 2 sellers: seller A with all 11 sales completed and happily rated, vs. seller B with also 11 sales, but 2 flakes/non-completes, then the algorithms favor seller A. Thus, a lot of sellers place strong emphasis to their potential buyers on only offering if they are serious ("oferta es compromiso").

The reasoning is that over a large number of sales, good sellers will eventually get better reputation/support (assuming same distribution of flake users to all sellers). 11 sales is still low so I would not be too worried. Also, remember that if buyers flake out, they should be rated negatively, otherwise it may also impact your rating (algorithm goes "hmmm, the number of flakes with neutral ratings is suspicious")

The reasoning is that over a large number of sales, good sellers will eventually get better reputation/support (assuming same distribution of flake users to all sellers). 11 sales is still low so I would not be too worried. Also, remember that if buyers flake out, they should be rated negatively, otherwise it may also impact your rating (algorithm goes "hmmm, the number of flakes with neutral ratings is suspicious")

Thanks so much! I definitely gave them bad ratings, so frustrating.

Hi I have stuff on MercadoLibre but want someone who will manage it for me - will pay a commission etc - live in Barrio Norte - stuff already on their webpage. Please email me [email protected] or call me 4826 8596. Thanks Caz

MercadoLibre employee here ;-)

--- <snip> ---

You can pay either with cash (in person) or via MercadoPago, through the RapiPago option. With MercadoPago, it is an escrow service so it protects you in case the deal does not happen, or if the goods are DOA/damaged (you can start a dispute process such as what Ceviche seems to be doing). With cash, you are taking all the responsibilities for the goods. Paying through MercadoShops/RapiPago, you'd be given a printout that you bring to RapiPago locations where you can pay with cash -- it is a bit more of a hassle, but it is secure.

--- <snip> ---

I really like the idea of a non-cash transaction. But you mention a "printout". Does that mean I would need a printer (which I do not have)? I also really like the idea of protection for "DOA/damaged". But how does that work? Who arranges for the delivery? What happens if there is damage beyond cosmetic (say, for example, one key on a piano gets damaged and no longer works)? It's my understanding that repair of imported items which require imported parts can be problematic in Argentina and at best take a long time.

Thanks, Bob

Bob, find a friend or an internet cafe with a printer, job done.
With something as valuable and delicate as a piano, you absolutely MUST see it first and try it and if you don't want it, just walk away. There's no harm in that.
When I sell on ML, which I have been doing for ten years, I usually click the option (default) for the buyer to pay the delivery. In the case of you or a buyer paying with Mercadopago, the delivery is usually handled by OCA, a private mail service. Whether they will accept a piano is another matter of course and if you want to be absolutely sure, you'd be well advised to handle the piano delivery yourself, by contracting a truck and driver, known here as a flete. That way, you can make sure it receives the careful handling it deserves.

Back