Mercadolibre Basics

Thanks for responding Gringoboy. The posting says "Entrega a acordar con el vendedor" (which Google Translate says means "Delivery to agree with seller"). Does that mean that the seller will arrange for and pay for delivery?

Thanks, Bob

It means that it is up to you and the seller to make an arrangement between you regarding the delivery. You should use the section "Preguntas al vendedor" to make some agreement about the delivery. You might want to get someone to help you with the translation back and forth to make sure everything is clear.

The seller probably chose that option due to the size and weight, which is fair enough.
If you know someone you trust and speaks fluent Spanish, you'd be well advised to ask them to help you on this one.

I now have a Rapipago number. Will the Rapipago places take US dollars at a fair exchange rate?

Thanks, Bob

Maybe I know the answer to the question I asked about whether Rapipago takes dollars. But then again maybe I don't.

According to a Rapipago map of their locations they have one at 1452 Ecuador, between Sante Fe and Arenales. But that address is certainly not a Rapipago location. But heading back to my apartment I passed a Pago Facil office not far away (maybe at the corner of Anchorena and Arenales, but I am not certain). So figuring I had nothing to lose I went in. Huge language barrier but they tried to look up a Rapipago bill number. Couldn't find it, but maybe because I wasn't sufficiently careful in writing ones and sevens. In any event I asked as best I could if I could pay with US dollars and they said no.

So if a Pago Facil office is really a Rapipago office even though it is not on the Rapipago locations map then the answer is no, they do not take dollars.

best to change the dollars and pay in pesos then, methinks. You can do that in the high street now you know.

So I went to Rapipago and gave them 11.000 pesos and got a receipt. And then received contact info for the seller. And so immediately sent him an email. That's been well over 24 hours ago and I have not heard from him! I am getting very worried. Please tell me that he does not yet have my money and that if I never hear from him I will get my money back.

The usual terms for paying through Rapipago and MercadoPago are that the buyer and seller have to confirm that the deal went through to their mutual satisfaction.
For example, I sell computer equipment and will receive a purchase for a motherboard worth say $1000 with the buyer opting to pay with one of the two options i just mentioned and the notification email from Mercadolibre will show a credit of $1000, but it's not yet available to me.
Once I've posted it off, the buyer receives it and scores me POSITIVE, the $$ then become available to me. It has to be like this to combat fraud.
That should be the situation with you right now. Do you have his telephone number? How's your Spanish?
There is actually a member here who works at Mercadolibre but I can't remember his name.
If you're in any doubt at all, PM either me or anyone else you think could help.

Edit: the member who works at ML is wongjuh and has also posted on this thread.

(Thanks to Gringoboy for help and sympathy via PMs.)

So sent another curt (but, thankfully, not nasty) note to the seller and this time he responded that he had returned the money to my "account". Account? Who knew that I had a MercadoLibre account. A little poking around and sure enough I found my account and the money is sitting there! I almost feel important. And definitely feel relieved. Sent the seller my apologizes.

Bob

(I will try hard to make this my last ever MercadoLibre question.) My cuenta shows an "en cuenta" amount and then the same amount as "disponible". Next to the disponible amount is a "Retirar dinero" link. I's like to withdraw my money but I am afraid that if I click Retirar Dinero something will happen automatically which I don't want to happen. Can someone tell me what will happen? Will I get the full amount or will some commission be taken out. (ALthough I never successfully bought anything and never sold anything.) Will I be able to get cash? Where?

Thanks, Bob

Back