Mercadolibre Basics

Used to be able to get cash but now it has to be transferred to a bank account I think.
Don';t take my word for it Bob. Send a PM to the gentleman named wong somethin or other who has posted here. He works at ML.

Wongjoh very kindly responded to a PM informing me that the money will have to go to a bank account.

Bob

Has anyone successfully paid for an item with overseas card on mercadolibre argentina? If so which payment option did you select?

Mercadopago / Other card
(I am on the move and can't check the exact wording, sorry)

Something like that. I buy with my European cards all the time.

ML asks for Visa , MC or Other...!! no mention of local or foreign needed..!!

I always use the option on PagoFacil o RapiPago and pay there in cash. I even have a hard time paying with my Argentina recheargable Visa cards on ML and customer service is non existent.

You're right, their so called customer service has zero human input, but what galls me more than anything else is their possibly illegal practice of forcing sellers of to only accept payment through their hugely expensive and proprietary system, Mercadopago when selling any new items and also used items in the following categories:

Cellphones
Consoles and video games
Computer related products

To quote:
Pronto venderás todo más simple

Desde el 1ro de septiembre cobrarás solo por Mercado Pago todas tus ventas de productos nuevos.

Tu experiencia y la de tu comprador cambiarán por completo.

¡Ya no tendrás que contactarlos para recibir el dinero! Cuando el pago esté acreditado, te avisaremos que vendiste y descontaremos el stock.

Desde ese día tus compradores dejarán de ver la opción Lo acuerdo con el vendedor y podrán pagarte tus productos nuevos solo por MercadoPago.

And later...

Actualización Octubre 2016

Desde el 6 de octubre, aceptarás pagos solo por Mercado Pago en los productos usados de:

Celulares y Teléfonos
Consolas y Videojuegos
Computación

Ya cobras solo por Mercado Pago los productos nuevos y, como queremos seguir mejorando tu experiencia, también lo incluimos en los usados.

¡Ya no tendrás que contactar a tus compradores para recibir el dinero! Cuando el pago esté acreditado te avisaremos que vendiste, y podrás entregar el producto.

Tú no tienes que hacer nada. Desde ese día tus compradores dejarán de ver la opción Lo acuerdo con el vendedor y podrán pagarte solo por MercadoPago.​

To say that MercadoPago is a rip off would be an understatement. I´m selling a used computer and MP is offering the buyer a 12 month payment plan as per this image.

JrHP04y.jpg

This means that on all NEW products and used products in the above categories, you don´t have the option to arrange a cash payment with the seller any more and if you don´t have a credit card or bank account (not everyone has these) you will need to queue up at Rapipago. OK, so they lifted commission on used products because of competition from OLX and Alamaula, but now they insist on these swinging payment methods.
Personally, I think it´s outrageous and have written to them about it via a complaint on an automated form (they do NOT show an email address) but don´t expect a reply.
Mind you, there are ways of getting around this practice...

most of the guys who sell wine online , now only sell you one bottle

you still have to buy a case

You pay them via the system by card and then when you pick up or get delivery you pay cash.fpr the other 5 bottles

Back