Military Coup/Dictatorship; Could it happen again?

Highly unlikely.
The military throat was cut in 1982 and never stitched up.
The patient never recovered, thankfully.

The military can't take over. They've been gutted and don't have the support of the people (aside from "los chicos" of the Malvinas.)

What could happen is that things are in such disarray that a new leader pops up, and following in past precedent, decides to govern through executive mandates to the point we have a full blown dictator.

But I suspect things may hold together until the end of Cristina's term... it just depends on how bad things get and how fed up the people are. At the moment, there's not a lot of protests from the masses. Why would they protest? They have carne para todos, futbol, generous labor laws, artificially created jobs, and they're spending on credit more than ever. I expect Cristina to finish her term, but who knows with Argentina? Perhaps we're done with sudden crashes and instead are now just slowy sliding down to be on par with Cuba or Venezuela without blood or much resistance. By the time people realize it, it's too late.

The situation now is very far from what it was in 1976, when a de facto civil war was raging with marxist guerillas attacking police and military, using kidnappings and assassinations to destabilize society and create a "worker's paradise", and similar right wing groups answering with equal violence.

Lots of people were frightened by the left and right wing terrorists and initially welcomed the military coup, little knowing how it was to unfold.

BTW: Inflation was around 350% in 1975, so the value of money shrank on a daily basis.

Military Coup? Yeah, no! Dictatorship? The seeds are already being sown. Whether it produces anything that matters, is another thing.

Seriously?? I can't believe my eyes. What makes you believe that the military wanna take over this mess???
There's no way in hell this could ever happen again, not only cause the common citizen wouldn't support a military coup but because the military itself want nothing to do with it. Believe me, today's military learnt it's lesson and except from some crazy lone ranger (who may be quite loud), it has slowly grown into the democratic values society demanded.
If you are trying to compare 2012 with 1976 you are way off reality.

cuore said:
Seriously?? I can't believe my eyes. What makes you believe that the military wanna take over this mess???
There's no way in hell this could ever happen again, not only cause the common citizen wouldn't support a military coup but because the military itself want nothing to do with it. Believe me, today's military learnt it's lesson and except from some crazy lone ranger (who may be quite loud), it has slowly grown into the democratic values society demanded.
If you are trying to compare 2012 with 1976 you are way off reality.

Don't underestimate what can happen in a few years if the people feel sufficiently abused whether completely justly or helped along by powerfu interests. To say that there could never be another coup in this country is to ignore thousands of years of human behavior. It may seem a far-off black swan event now but give her a few more years to alienate powerful people and let's see what happens...don't put beyond the realm of possibilities simply because it is not...

LostinBA said:
Don't underestimate what can happen in a few years if the people feel sufficiently abused whether completely justly or helped along by powerfu interests. To say that there could never be another coup in this country is to ignore thousands of years of human behavior. It may seem a far-off black swan event now but give her a few more years to alienate powerful people and let's see what happens...don't put beyond the realm of possibilities simply because it is not...

You are right. I was a little extreme. I know the military well enough to know how some of its members feel. I was just trying to -poorly- express their opinion. However, from what I'm reading, I understand that everyone in this post (I think you too) is mostly thinking about a potential civilian coup more than a military one.

LostinBA said:
You´re really lost

scotttswan said:
I doubt the military here have the power to do anything.

I'd place money on the people protesting and someone escaping via helicopter to their large swiss bank account.

I don't know why, but this quote cracked me up, the imagery. jajajaajja

I am actually leaving because as a person struggling to survive here, and not having money from the states, just escape routes, I realized that all my hope for this place was an illusion. I will miss Argentina and as me and my friend joked about, Gotham city, I wish I was young to rescue it, there is so much to do here. It' s like a huge pile of garbage on the side of a train station, and it just needs a large group of experienced organic gardeners to pick through it and make it beautiful, there is potential here. The soil is, (I still naively believe) fertile and a lot can be done. If you are mentally fit and strong, a bit of an outcast, thinker, a bit insane,have some money on the side or rescue routes, I say stay and work on making something here, build something organic, and open to everyone, free, the opposite of capitalism, Argentina is obviously begging for it. I say this cautiously because i couldn't do it. I am going home with my tail down. Learn to live without anything, that is what I learned here, I was a comfort creature all this time,even though I thought I always rebelled against that. BA made me realize how dependent I was in products and the system. I am no longer a picky eater, it's a miracle I am still a vegetarian.I am no longer a buddhist, but a skeptic, I no longer have a warm fuzzy feeling in my heart to rescue the world, because I know it will eat itself whole. Thank you BA! A little pain makes you a better person.

Back