Money transfer issue anyone?

Can I open a Wise acc. in AR without DNI and use it for transferring USD to WU?
No, you can only use Wise to transfer to a bank account. I was already in Argentina and didn't have a DNI when I opened a Wise account, though, to answer that part of the question.

I tried using Wise this morning and got an error before I tried sending, saying that they're not able to send transfer ARS at the moment.
iirc it's been this way since 2019/2020 following the return of the cepo

Can I open a Wise acc. in AR without DNI and use it for transferring USD to WU?
I don't think Wise allows transfers to W.U

No, but you can in your home country and you can then use your Wise debit card to. I'm doing this myself occasionally and it works. Wise accounts are not possible to open for those with Argentine addresses, so use your family or friends

I talked to Remitly yesterday and they said they'd investigate the issue. BBVA says there is NO limit to incoming transfers, but as of this moment Remitly is still not allowing me to transfer because supposedly BBVA (and Galicia too)limits how much can be sent in a 12 month period. Money Gram simply cancels my transfers without giving a reason.

Yesterday I started a Xoom transfer. Thus far it has cleared the initial security phase and says a transfer has begun to BBVA. I expect it to complete, though the date given is 11 Sept. Xoom and MoreMoney are both owned by PayPal, so perhaps that avoids the issue?

Made a small x-fer yesterday with Moneygram that got cancelled. Same thing happened a week ago with x-fer to the same person. X-fers made on the same day to a different person went through without problems. Same bank - Santander. I resent both cancelled transactions and they went through the second time without issue. No idea why and I'm not going to bother asking Moneygram since I know it'll be a waste of time. Same with Trustly when they had problems with me trying to make payments to MG direct from my bank account (as opposed to using my debit card). Completely worthless customer service. Fortunately my bank (Schwab) has the best service I've ever had. I'll be checking my Schwab account to make sure I'm not being double charged for the cancelled and resent x-fers.

As much as the problems I've had with Money Gram aggravate me, they have promptly refunded me for cancelled transfers. <Sigh...>

I’ve tried to send to 3 different accounts with varying amounts using MoneyGram. All transactions were cancelled. The message was the same for each, that the transaction was not accepted by the recipient institution.

I’m suspecting this must be something the government is doing. There have been a lot of weird fiscal decisions in the few weeks.

Now, not sure how I’m going to pay my bills that are due in the y few days.

To be clear. everyone here is talking about sending to an Argentine bank account, right? No reported problems with money sent to be picked up in cash?

Last evening, I tried to use MoneyGram to send U$130 to my husband's Santander account again (1 week after the failed attempt). It was rejected and canceled in an hour 😐

To be clear. everyone here is talking about sending to an Argentine bank account, right? No reported problems with money sent to be picked up in cash?
No one has mentioned having a problem with Western Union in either case.

I made a bank to bank (Schwab to Santander Rio) transfer on Monday afternoon and it was deposited on Tuesday without any problem.

I made another transfer last night and in less than a minute I received a confirmation that the funds were on the way and, as far as WU is concerned, the transfer is already completed.

Santander Rio has never cancelled any of my transfers and never asked about them. I never transfer more than the "piso de ganancias" in a calendar month.

PS: The piso de ganancias was recently raised to just above $700.000 pesos per month.

Back