Money transfer issue anyone?

Has anyone had any luck these past days doing a bank to bank transfer using Western Union, Moneygram, etc. ?
I made another bank to bank WU transfer on Monday morning (following the transfer I made last Thursday afternoon which was credited to my Santander Rio account on Friday before 6 pm. The funds from the transfer on Monday morning were credited to my Santander Ro account just before 6 pm on Monday.

Last edited:
It might have to do with the person’s taxable status with afip. I am able to send to my wife no problem. But none of my accounts work. Transaction cancelled every time.

My wife works “en blanco” and I’m an expat with no financial presence. That might be the difference.

Before last week all I had to do was answer the bank’s “origin of funds” questions, but now the banks are just flat out rejecting the transfers.

This is definitely a new phenomenon, I feel brought about the by the election, looming devaluation and rush to buy dollars.

BBVA is not rejecting anything, they say. I've been clearly told by my branch manager that there is no limit on incoming peso transfers, no reason for Remitly to blame them. And Remitly blocks my transfers to Argentina before a request can even be completed if I choose an Argentine bank.

I've had the issue kicked up the customer service chain of command and hope to find out more when I have a few free hours speak with them.

All the following pertain to bank-to-bank transfers to a Galicia account:

- Western Union transfer from Thursday is still pending (I expect it will be cancelled soon since I never received the confirmation email)
- MoneyGram transfer attempted on Friday was canceled almost instantly.
- Remitly transfer made this afternoon was successful!
I
All the following pertain to bank-to-bank transfers to a Galicia account:

- Western Union transfer from Thursday is still pending (I expect it will be cancelled soon since I never received the confirmation email)
- MoneyGram transfer attempted on Friday was canceled almost instantly.
- Remitly transfer made this afternoon was successful!
The plot thickens... On Friday, I attempted another Remilty transfer, but it was swiftly canceled. Back to square one :(

Hello everyone! This is my first post here (english is not my first language). I have been receiving transfers in Argentina for the last 4 years, from a family member who lives in the UE. Since I have mobility problems, I have been using a service offered by WU Argentina in which you can request bank accreditation by sending an email to [email protected] (this service requires prior registration through a form in which WU requests a lot of personal data , including DNI photos). On September 1, the transfer never reached my bank account and after 15 nightmarish days, without anyone responding to my complaints, they reported that the money was paid correctly in cash! I never showed up to collect in person. And on the phone they tell me that the pickup time is registered at 11 p.m., so it is impossible for me to have picked it up at that time since the office is closed to the public. But they still close the complaint and do not recognize the refund of money. I am in shock! I leave this message to prevent, do not use the service to send email to depositoacuenta. I will report the scam to the prosecutor's office, but I don't think I will ever see my money back.

Last edited:
Cambalache, I so sorry to hear of your bad experience and hope the loss wasn't too great. Many thanks for the heads up!

Remitly called me twice last Thursday following a lengthy online chat. So far, nothing has changed. I'm kind of surprised, as their customer service has been truly excellent in the past. I will call them tomorrow if I have time to shake things up.

For anyone who might still be interested in this, Remitly seems to be having a problem with a "banking partner", a financial aggregator (one of many) who initially receives transfers made to Argentina. The issue we're having has nothing to do with our personal banks. They are aware of the issue,hopefully can correct it, and will call me with any new information that arises.

For anyone who might still be interested in this, Remitly seems to be having a problem with a "banking partner", a financial aggregator (one of many) who initially receives transfers made to Argentina. The issue we're having has nothing to do with our personal banks. They are aware of the issue,hopefully can correct it, and will call me with any new information that arises.
Galicia told us that previous successful transfers via Moneygram and Remitly did not enter our account as foreign commerce transactions, and instead were received by a local payment company called ‘Remitee’.

Apparently, Remitee receives foreign currency from services like Moneygram and Remitly and then deposit it into our banks as ARS.

Galicia insist that they aren’t blocking anything, suggesting that the issue is related to Remitee’s processing.

Thanks for that info ethanwatkins123. Is it implied that recent failed transactions ARE entering (or attempting to enter) your account as foreign commerce transactions? Remitee would be a financial aggregator, a go-between between Remitly and our banks, a normal process.

I'll pass along this information to Remitly. Though we have a problem making transfers, at least Remitly is willing and able to discuss how to solve the issue.

Back