Monthly Book Club Meeting

Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Rise-Fall-Great-Powers/dp/0679643656

Looks like a great read. What's the latest we can RSVP, lacoqueta? I ask only because there's a chance I might be out of town that date, but I'm not sure yet.

Because this is a book thread:

As I am not in Argentina at the moment and have a dear friend living in BA, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best way to get her some particular books is.
Is there a store here in which I can order from and have delivered, or an online book store of sorts? It is my understanding that actually shipping them would be a bad idea

I appreciate any help and thank you in advance!

Michelle

DontMindMe: You can RSVP now and if you need to, cancel later. I'm sending you the address and phone number.just let us know what you'll be bringing for the potluck part via a post here

We all use e-books, usually downloading them thru Amazon kindle, or I books. Michellec I suggest that you gift your friend here some credit on Amazon (like a gift card with a number that will give him/her a certain amount of credit with which he/she can DOWNLOAD books). There are also many titles available as free downloads. I would strongly advise against SENDING any. If your friend doesn't have a reading device and or doesn't want to read downloaded books the bookstore "Kels" here in BsAs has many fairly current or popular titles in English. They may also be able to order. I would suggest visiting their website if e-books aren't a possibility, and see what's available. You could probably work out payment with a CC and your friend coud pick it up there. (They have several branches within the city). Good luck!

Mockingbird maybe we could read the other one for a future meeting!

DontMindMe: You can RSVP now and if you need to, cancel later. I'm sending you the address and phone number.just let us know what you'll be bringing for the potluck part via a post here

We all use e-books, usually downloading them thru Amazon kindle, or I books. Michellec I suggest that you gift your friend here some credit on Amazon (like a gift card with a number that will give him/her a certain amount of credit with which he/she can DOWNLOAD books). There are also many titles available as free downloads. I would strongly advise against SENDING any. If your friend doesn't have a reading device and or doesn't want to read downloaded books the bookstore "Kels" here in BsAs has many fairly current or popular titles in English. They may also be able to order. I would suggest visiting their website if e-books aren't a possibility, and see what's available. You could probably work out payment with a CC and your friend coud pick it up there. (They have several branches within the city). Good luck!

Mockingbird maybe we could read the other one for a future meeting!
+

Kels web page with branches in BA

http://www.kelediciones.com/espanol/

Hi All,
The July meeting of the monthly Book Club is Wednesday, July 30, at 7:00pm in Recoleta. We will be discussing "The Rise and Fall of Great Powers" by Tom Rachman. The meeting is followed by a dinner pot luck with lots of wine/beer and informal conversation.
All members of BAExpats are welcome to come, even if you haven't read the book, but space is limited so you need to RSVP on this thread. I will then send you the address and phone number.
Please RSVP below along with what you'll be bringing for the pot luck. Please bring any alcoholic beverage you'll be drinking as well. I will be supplying soft drinks, coffee,hot chocolate, and a main dish.
Hope to see you all soon!

I will be there. I'll bring a Mexican bean salad. Feeds hundreds. :)

I went the other day to Costco and picked up a case of "Chile con carne" cans and tried to make some "Chili Dog" with cubed onions and the mex-tex cheese sprinkles. Too hot for my taste ! Do you guys wanting it, can send them over-seas via US post..The fried bean is delicious but a tad too hot for my liking...

I'm coming! I'll bring a Moroccan stew made of lentil, garbanzo, calabaza, tomato and plenty of fresh herbs and spices. I'm not done with the book yet, but I like it so far.

@hybrid, thanks for thinking of us, but don't EVER send anything other then letters to Argentina. It will be lost, stolen,or the receiver will be asked to pay customs much higher than its worth. If you ever come to the book club you can bring us some home made sushi...
@dontmindme that's great! There will be some other newbies there as well. I'm PM ing you the address.
@ Dirtboy,your presence is always welcome!
As usual our food equals the discussion! May make a rice and lamb pilaff
Everyone don't forget the wine or beer!

Back