Mosquito Madness

Thanks for the tips! Going to try all of them :) Will stockpile Off and try to score some of the Raid plugins.

I will give the itch-minimizing tricks a try but really, in my case the itching isn't the problem - it's that they remain swollen and blotchy for days. Hopefully with time my reactions to mosquitos there will become more along the lines of how I react here - intense but fleeting.

My raid plug in works 100%! I use OFF for days out in Tigre, and that works too. Without either they really love me.

A fan seem to help at nights when you are sleeping. There are always mosquito nets you can buy. Also, tiger balm is an awesome alternative to those after liquids.

I've been experimenting with this problem over in punta del diablo for the last week and have slept fitfully, even with liberal applications of 'off', burning mosquito coils and the tablets. Mosquitos still whine by my ears and eye lids to backs of the knees have sustained itchy bumps.

But, Yesterday I got hugely sunburnt. Glowing. Followed by lots of caiprhina and daquiris and went to bed a red, drunken mess.
Didn't get bitten once.
So I recommend maintaining a rosy countenence and social lubrication.

We actually found a product that we are testing and so far so good. It's called Mosqui No and it's basically sold for babies.

I was not excited about all the chemicals in Off and the plugins etc given my wife was pregnant and now that we have a new little one here in the house.

Anyway sprayed it on and cut the grass out back and I didn't get bit once which is amazing as I usually get swarmed on. It appears to have a citronella base.

I also saw some kind of citronella bracelet or something when I was in line at Walmart. Didn't buy it so I have no idea if that one works.

Hope this helps

Yeah citronella is a good natural alternative. It smells like shit but hey, at least it doesn't give you cancer.

Hey guys

Go to the farmacia and ask for "lidocaina viscosa" or "xylocaina viscosa" (same stuff)

It's cheap, and a few drops on an insect bite will stop itching in a minute or two - probably for good! Works on burns, toothaches and anywhere a local anaesthetic can be put!
Good stuff to have around anyway, and I have a little bottle right by my bed where I can get to it in the middle of the night!

Saludos,

David

If coming back down from the US, try bringing a tube of 3M Ultrathon. Like all the other repellents, it contains DEET as the active ingredient. The difference is in the solutions in which it is suspended. It doesn't evaporate or get absorbed into your skin and lasts for 12 hours.

It was supposedly developed for the US military but is available in most stores selling outdoor gear.

http://www.rei.com/product/686229

This is the only DEET product that doesn't burn my skin.

Neil

There are two products people swear by, though I'm unsure if they are available down here.
1. Avon skin so soft
2. Bounce dryer sheets-- hang a sheet or two up in your depto and no mosquitos will bother you

Back