Move to Buenos Aires?

Elqueso, not just thanks for your posts, BIG thanks. The people I know in Paraguay like it there because they say no one bothers you (they are families from London, Holland and two from the US). All but one family is buying ranch land gradually as they earn--as you say--dollars. And all but one family thinks we are headed toward incredibly difficult times where people may be reduced to barter. AND they think beef will be a big thing.

I could not agree more on FDR. More than that, he sacrificed 3,000 US military men at Pearl to get Americans angry enough to go to war. Before that it was the national belief to "Beware of foreign entanglements" and to "walk softly but carry a big stick." In other words, don't go to war with a country that is not bothering you. So he was up against that mindset and figured out a way around it. He set it up and knew the Japanese were coming--they had cracked their code long ago.

And what those people said to your wife was absolutely reprehensible--and absolutely revealing. Makes me angry to read it. People like that need to be kept in check but sadly we normally elect them to office and then refuse to believe that they ARE like that. But experiences like that open our eyes--that is the blessing of adversity.

Don't worry about condescending. I LOVE being here in this country and I am learning all I can, but it takes genuine Argentines or people who have been here a lot longer to tell us how things REALLY work. The more knowledge we have the easier it is to stay out of trouble! :)

Nahuel said:
It's the first time i hear about safe deposit boxes being opened and gold taken away that is not about a bank robery of some sort. (Check the "boqueteros robery in belgrano", quite an amazing movie-like story)

There are a lot of comments here, so i'll try tu sum up...

For the person that their ffiends debt was also "pesified", i'm glad for them, it wasn't the case of my family or family friends.

I hate pidgeons, winged rats.

From my senior 2001 class, we were near 90, 7 parents died in the early months of 2002, due to heart failures (like my dad, 42 years old, massive heart attack), one-month-bursting cancers or burn-outs. The situation was extremely stressfull to live a normal life.

Elqueso, porperty here is still extremely cheap compared to the US, but not in Buenos Aires capital. My mom house is in Castelar, a decent suburb 30km away from the Capital, the property has 600 m2 with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms livingroom, and a big big backyard and is around 75k. A "mansion" there would go to 150K (U$D). The capital district lives in a bubble where a 2 bedroom ap can cost a gorillon pesos in the right neighbourhood.

(sorry for the grammar and spelling, i don't understand this browser enough to change the languaje on the spellcheck)

This is so sad Nahuel. I am very sorry for what happened to your father and friends as a result of the 2001 nightmare. Your prom night was irreparably affected but I hope other key milstones in your life (marriage, babies, graduations etc will be very happy memories for you and your family. My own son was born on the same day my Dad died 30 years previously. Although its trite to say, time does heal.

fifs2 said:
This is so sad Nahuel. I am very sorry for what happened to your father and friends as a result of the 2001 nightmare. Your prom night was irreparably affected but I hope other key milstones in your life (marriage, babies, graduations etc will be very happy memories for you and your family. My own son was born on the same day my Dad died 30 years previously. Although its trite to say, time does heal.

Hey, don't worry, everything is cool.

My prom was weird, to say the least, we were watching tv because nearly 2 millon people were setting plaza de mayo on fire, fighting the police and the president was fleeing by helicopter.

And sorry for the post-spam, but Citygirl and elqueso, i completely understand what you are saying and you might be right, but from my perspective, you sound like this:

I've tryed buying property in the US and LA and NY city was really expensive, even if you travel to, i don't know, The Hamptons, is still really expensive, but if you go to Rosarito/Juarez/Tijuana is really cheap and that for someone earning wages in Dollars it is just ripe with opportunities.

(I mean no offense, trying to explain my perspective and why I differ from yours)

Eh? Just pointed out that there are lots of expensive properties around here, not just in areas like Pilar or Capital.

Real Estate in general isn't a huge bargain here anymore IMO (and I'm not sure ever really has been except immediately post crash).

If I were shopping for an investment and an opportunity to have a good return, I wouldn't be looking at Argentina as my first choice. Plenty of less expensive options in more stable countries.

But that's a long way from where the thread started so I'll stop hijacking.

Back