Move to Buenos Aires?

Nahuel said:
Yes, they also killed all the children and drank white doves blood.

Oh how horrible!!!!:eek: But instead of white doves, they should have drank the blood of all these pigeons to get rid of the pigeon infestation in the freakin' city.

On a serious note, did people ever recover two thirds of their savings or was that just "adjusted" for the benefit of all of Argentina?

Nahual, I read about that--and am VERY interested to read more of Argentina's history. I wonder how many people know that this happened in the United States in the Great Depression and some people think it is headed that way again.

My mother and dad were on vacation. They lost all the money in the bank and never saw the inside of their safe deposit box again. The bank just closed. They told me they were lucky that they didn't have any loans because the people who had loans with the bank lost their money, but if they didn't pay the loan they lost their house.

It is kind of the normal cycle, especially with fiat (unbacked by anything) currency. It is too big a temptation to print up a bunch. Politicians can promise all kinds of give aways to get elected. But they have nothing to give away but what they first take away from you--either in taxes or by robbing you with inflation. If they print more than they take in in taxes, it devalues the currency, causes inflation, which is a hidden tax on the people. But most people don't have economic knowledge sufficient to understand.

Nahuel, I hate to sound this naive, but are you kidding about the dove's blood? (I hope!)

arlean said:
Nahuel, I hate to sound this naive, but are you kidding about the dove's blood? (I hope!)

Seriously, I hope you are kidding with that question. :eek:

No, I'm not. Is it a dumb question? I'm pretty trusting, y'know. :(

arlean said:
In the last crisis (2001) Argentines had their safe deposit boxes opened and gold and USD taken out and replaced (I think) with pesos though I'm not even sure about that. So be aware!

That's the first time I heard that one. I wonder if this possible legend, like most, had its roots in something real?

For example, the government at that time did indeed steal dollars from a large portion of the people here, but not literally committing burglary as described.

The banks closed and people couldn't get their money out. The government ordered that all US Dollar accounts be converted into pesos. And then, overnight, the exchange rate went from 1 peso to 1 dollar to 3 pesos to 1 dollar. Suddenly everyone who had their savings in Dollars lost 2/3 thirds of their money! Of course - the government kept the dollars.

If I remember correctly, mortgages were affected too. I believe they allowed people to take out mortgages in dollars previously and suddenly they were valued in pesos (revalued at the new exchange rate unlike their savings) and their loan values were three times what they had been. Many people couldn't pay their mortgages. I used to go to a barber in an apartment where I used to live about 4 years ago who was thusly affected.

Also, you ask why some of us are still here, when we post a lot of crap about Buenos Aires and Argentina.

Well, some of us came here for business, for exploring, what-have-you. Personally, I stayed because I married. Most people who stay also earn their money from outside of the country or have money outside in some fashion.

There are very few people who stay here and just hate the place completely. I don't hate it. But I DO hate high inflation, lack of things to purchase, bad service, rude people, etc. And as I have described many times, this forum sometimes gives me a chance to unload some of the frustration I feel and accept life here.

Having said all that, I've seen an inordinate number of moving sales recently. I spoke with two different expats from whom I'd purchased something. They both had their own reasons for leaving, but weren't particularly unhappy to be going.

And I'm thinking myself of moving to Paraguay, where my wife is from. I've had this thought before, but it's becoming stronger as I watch a bunch of idiots in this government, led by a highly-visible idiot, do really stupid things to screw this country into the ground and isolate the country even more than it did when it defaulted on loans and refused to pay billions of dollars internationally.

And as for it being a beautiful city - there is some beauty here, no doubt about it. But I've lived in many places and seen the ugliness too. It's easy to forget some of that living in the city and particularly in places like Palermo, Recoleta, etc. I used to live out in the suburbs where the majority of people live worse than where I once lived in Houston in the 5th Ward, which is a slum. I lived in a closed neighborhood near Pilar, surrounded by poverty.

Enjoy life, but don't be blind to what goes on around you as well, nor pretend that Buenos Aires is all beauty and wonder.

[If you had 30k U$D in the bank, now you had 30k pesos, BUT if you owed the bank 30k U$D, you still owe them that much.

Nahuel, the latter part of this statement wasnt true for my friends. They owed 60kusd on their mortgage and it was converted overnight to 60k pesos - they paid it off in 2 weeks less the govt. changed their mind and they for one were happy to gain not lose by the devaluation.
That's not to say others weren't treated differently but my friends couldnt believe their luck..

Hmmmm, Elqueso. First, I have been in and out of Argentina since 2004. I have had Argentines tell me what I wrote above. One Argentine man I know who sees a crisis coming right now said his mother had $30,000 worth of gold taken out of her SDB. And I have heard that elsewhere before.

But again, something similar was done during the 30s by one of the U.S. presidents., Franklin Roosesvelt. He made it illegal to own gold and you couldn't open your SDB at the bank without an IRS agent present. If you had gold in there, they took it, gave you dollars, and as soon as they thought they had it all, devalued the dollar at a rate of about 30%. Which means the Americans were robbed of 30% of the value of their gold.

Lots of people may not realize that this stuff happens elsewhere--just not as often as in Argentina and not as much in the open. But it is getting more in the open now in countries where it was once more hidden.

About Paraguay. I have a web site www.newsfromlatinamerica.blogspot.com and some of the people who have been readers over several years changed course when Uruguay put in a new tax (they were going to Uruguay) and went to Paraguay. I currently know five people who have done what you are thinking about and like it a lot. There are a couple of articles on the blog about Paraguay and there will be more in a few weeks. I plan to make a trip up there and visit and look the country over.

One of the guys I know who moved there bought a three bedroom apartment for $70.000 in Asuncion and tells me the only people who don't like Paraguay have never been there. 'Course he hasn't been there all that long--maybe a year.

I appreciate all the information all of you guys post here. Many thanks.
Arlean

arlean said:
No, I'm not. Is it a dumb question? I'm pretty trusting, y'know. :(

Oh, Nahuel was kidding or rather, being sarcastic. You know, no one killed kids nor drank the blood of white doves.

Its funny though that you were only worried about the doves :)

Oh and I don't think its a dumb question if you were honestly asking. I just think its a little naive, is all.

Back