Move to Buenos Aires?

usguy0001 said:
I have a potential opportunity through my work to do a 6-12 month rotation in Buenos Aires. I've always thought it would be cool to live in a Spanish-speaking foreign country for a bit (given the amount of time I spent learning Spanish) - if anything to immerse myself in a different culture.

However, I am a little bit concerned by things I've read on the forum, namely the significant increase in violence. And based on what I've read in the news, it seems the political and economic situation is a bit unstable.

My question - are these potential concerns enough for me to consider NOT taking this opportunity?

Any thought would be appreciated, especially from those who have actually done this.

Thanks!!

I'm requoting for a reason:

If this "rotation" will sigificantly advance your career than it's worth considering.

If not, don't do it.

steveinbsas said:
If this "rotation" will sigificantly advance your career than it's worth considering.

If not, don't do it.

Don't agree with you here Steve. In fact I think the opposite is true. If you come here simply to "advance your career" then I think you are missing out on a potentially great experience. Most of the people I have met here really enjoy life in Bs As. Also you have a great base to visit other amazing places like Iguazu, Salta, Mendoza, Bariloche, Uruguay etc...and the parrillas alone are worth the visit.

If you're the adventurous type and aren't easily frustrated or picky, I'd say come and stay a while. :) 6-12 months isn't bad... since everything is new and different, chances are you'll enjoy it. Some people take pleasure in traveling the world for the experience itself... others are happier at home. BA isn't a murder capital (I'm actually more nervous in certain parts of Atlanta or Miami than BA) but you have to watchful and careful all the time. Purse snatching and muggings are the most common crimes. Get to know the neighborhoods, try not to walk alone at night, keep your doors locked, etc and be careful who you trust.

Also realize that this is not Europe nor the US... it's a capital in South America with everything that that entails. :p Don't expect the comforts of home. I trust you'll have coworkers or some connections down here as well, as that often makes all the difference.

If it's possible to visit before committing that would be ideal. ;) Good luck whatever you choose.

steveinbsas said:
I live in Argenitna and I don't live in fear or think that I risk my life everyday based upon where I live, but I don't live in Capital Federal.

I daresay that I actually have (and continue to have) a unique "Argenitnean" experience..if happiness is the standard of measurement.

Im sorry yours wasn't as pleasant as mine or that you ever had to live in fear.

Steve, perhaps you could try actually reading my posts instead of inventing your version in your own mind. I ENCOURAGED the poster to come in spite of being robbed on my first day (pure and simple robbery sorry no taxis involved). In spite of that and being blackmailed I enjoyed and continue to enjoy my Bsas experience since I'm back in town frequently since we keep our business here and not to mention many unbelievably good Argentinean friends. We had an Argentinean BBQ last night in Spain with some new friends with imported empanadas, Bife de Chorizo, Provelone..51euros for 2kgs for anyone interested in prices of local beef abroad. There's noone who flies the Arg. flag higher than my household and we have deliberately kept our son's nationality as is since heritage is something to value so I honestly take umbrage at multiple unwarranted and incorrect attacks in this thread.

The post on deaths happening in USA in your own home was tongue in cheek..and if I had to chose yes I'd say I'm pro Democrat, so shoot me (NRA signed up Steve?) - I lived in one of the most Republican states and have really good Republican friends - having a politicial opinion is just that, an opinion but it clearly upsets your delicate constitution to have anyone defend Obama every now and again...

I frequently witness your Jeckyl and Hude personality being helpful one post and then chosing an enemy of the week who you then viciously attack. So I'm on the list now so attack at will you sad bitter old man.

Sorry to other posters for hijacking the thread.

Hi.
We just moved here 3 months ago and all I can say it is much safer than what people in Buenos Aires and this forum say. It is a big city, you can stand out in the beginning since you are not local, but as long as you remain vigilant and are low key I think it is fine. I even take the subte every day and no issues. If you have some common sense it is OK. Don't wear a Rolex, flashy gold jewelry or very fancy clothing, if you are out very late at night call a radio taxi or car service instead of walking, avoid certain unsafe areas, etc.

steveinbsas said:
In my opinion BA is a HORRIBLE place to develop your SPANISH. Spanish isn't the language spoken in BA. Just watch local news or sports coverage and then watch a US movie dubbed in Spanish to see what I mean.

AndrewWoodward said:
This is nonsense too.

A few expats who have lived here for years have a different opinion...as you probably remember since you argued with Davidglenn in one of the threads in which these quotes can be found.

I'll provide a few quotes here...for the benifit of the OP. They were very easy to find using the search feature.

'
Davidglen77 said:
I personally would avoid coming to Argentina if your main objective is to learn spanish. There are many great things here, quasi european culture, arts, wine, some foods, tango, etc to enjoy. If you learn Argentine spanish as your baseline you will spend the rest of your life trying to undo learning a mix of lunfardo and butchered spanish from your memory bank.

Davidglen77 said:
I love Argentina and all, I mean I live here full time, have my business and home here, however I dont recommend people come to Argentina to learn spanish. Haven't you noticed that if you learn spanish here you will have a hard time using it anywhere else in the spanish speaking world?

Davidglen77 said:
I am not referring to slang. I am talking about everyday things that if you learn spanish here you will not be well understood in other countries. Argentina and especially not Buenos Aires capital federal are good places to get a baseline use of spanish or "castellano" as they say here.

For example go to a verdulería in any other country in latinoamerica or the carribean (except maybe chile where they are used to hearing this strange use of español) and ask for ananá, damasco, frutilla, pomelo, frutos del bosque, chauchas, and nobody will know what you are talking about.

(The correct words are piña, albaricoque, fresa, toronja, frambuesas, and judías verdes)

Go to a real estate agency in any other country in latinoamerica or the carribean and ask for 2 ambientes living con placard, y amoblado con sommier and see if they have any idea what you mean.

The correct way to request this would be departamento con 1 dormitorio, sala con armario y amueblado con colchón y marco de resortes.

These are everyday things that people ask for and do and if you get your baseline spanish from here you will only have to re-learn it somewhere else. If that doesn't matter to you then go for it! There are lots of things that are worth learining here, like tango, how to make different repulgues for different kinds of empanadas, authentic parrilla argentina, however language is not one of their finer points.

Davidglen77 said:
Nobody ever said that somebody should not to go to Argentina because Rioplatense Spanish is somewhat different from 'Standard Spanish", however I and some others suggested that this isn't the best place to develop a baseline of the language. Then it blew up into in xxxx country they say this and xxxxx country they say that. No problem at all, everyone has their own opinion. And to reiterate mine, I would not come here to learn spanish if I wasn't a native speaker. I am originally from New York City and yes even NYC has it´s own brand of español, that part is true. However, I personally find the spanish spoken here to sound strange, especially Porteño which sounds like another language altogether.
Argentina has a lot of great things to take advantage of, culture, dance, art, architecture, crazy political history to learn about. But in my opinion, language is not it's outstanding feature.

And Bradleyhale made an interesting point:

bradlyhale said:
I would say that Buenos Aires isn't a great place to actually learn Spanish. I've met numerous people who've come to Buenos Aires to "learn Spanish," and all they really do is blow hundreds of dollars to legitimize their trip to Argentina. They never learn much.

listening to all this back and forth (and hijacking the thread), i am tempted to say, guys - get a life!!!

Personally, I enjoy ordering in Rio Platenese from the mexican taco truck near my home in the USA- then, of course, I have to re-order in mexican spanish, but everybody enjoys the procedure, and the mexicans shake their heads at how crazy those argentines speak.
Aquacate?, or Palta?

I like em both on my torta. Or is that a tarta?

fifs2 said:
I frequently witness your Jeckyl and Hude personality being helpful one post and then chosing an enemy of the week who you then viciously attack. So I'm on the list now so attack at will you sad bitter old man.

Sorry to other posters for hijacking the thread.

Just whom have I ever vicioulsy attacked, including you? Is referring to a post or disagreeing with someone (even with sarcasm) a viscious attack? How thick is your skin? Who have I ever called names?

You have now called me "a sad bitter old man" with a Jeckyl and Hyde personality as well as a BITCH. Do you remember what happened when you called me the latter and why you could not post for a while? Do you remember sending me a PM to apologize?

The only time I ever called anyone here a name was Lee. I called him a "tatooed freak" but I did so with love...and it was before he started using an avatar that actualy showed his tats...and I knew it would "freak" him out :p

Back