Move to Buenos Aires?

You have attacked me also steveinbsas.. sure I slapped you right back.. but have to agree with fifs2.. you can come off at times very nice..and other times very rude and condescending.

cbphoto said:
You have attacked me also steveinbsas.. sure I slapped you right back.. but have to agree with fifs2.. you can come off at times very nice..and other times very rude and condescending.

Are you referring to this?...

cbphoto said:
Steveinbsas..I am sorry..you really have to lay off the drink or shut your teaparty trap!!
R U a scientist now also? Seemingly they (scientists) are all in agreement that the industrial revolution is causing global warming/climate change..
AND...no Obama did not start the 2 wars in Afghanistan and Irak.
He is also no a commie, racist, muslim....

Do you remember my reply?

steveinbsas said:
Thanks for the kind words.

Is this your idea of an intelligent resopnse or an intellectual arguement?

What are you drinking?

Did I mention Afganistan or Iraq (please note it is spelled with a Q not a K)?

Do yourself a favor and learn about earth science and continental tectonics.

Then you might understand climate change, but you may still be an offensive child.

When I was in high school "scientists" warned of global cooling.

The earth has been warming since the end of the last ICE AGE.

PS What are you drinking?

It obvioulsy isn't tea.

I never thought tea could cause such an irrational outburst.

I wonder why you felt the need to be so personally offensive...

cbphoto said:
Steveinbsas..I am sorry..you really have to lay off the drink or shut your teaparty trap!!
R U a scientist now also? Seemingly they (scientists) are all in agreement that the industrial revolution is causing global warming/climate change..
AND...no Obama did not start the 2 wars in Afghanistan and Irak.
He is also no a commie, racist, muslim....

BTW" The above was a direct response to the following post...and cbphoto had not made a post in the thread before then.

steveinbsas said:
To El Queso,

Well said.

Not much more for me to say here...

Except for some old slogan like ""Live free or die."

Regarding climate change...remembering how the current US President "promised" to lower the sea levels,

One half to two thirds of what is now above sea level in Florida used to be below sea level.

And don't forget what we call New York City was under about a mile of ice...several times..at the least.

And that was at least a few years prior to the industrial revolution and the human caused increase in the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

And what we know as Florida today was once (if not several times) at least twice it's present size.

Of course climate change is real. But human beings simply don't have the power to cause it..or prevent it.

Just who is the "attacker" here? :rolleyes:

steveinbsas said:
A few expats who have lived here for years have a different opinion...as you probably remember since you argued with Davidglenn in one of the threads in which these quotes can be found.

I'll provide a few quotes here...for the benifit of the OP. They were very easy to find using the search feature.

And Bradleyhale made an interesting point:

It's still nonsense. The point about people coming to Buenos Aires to study Spanish and leaving with nothing can be said about every Spanish speaking country. How many kids go to Spain every year and come back having spoken nothing but English? Learning a language isn't easy - as I'm sure everyone here knows. But whether you go to Barcelona or Buenos Aires, you're going to get out of it what you want.

A lot of people come to Spanish schools here not just to learn the language, but to meet people while traveling. Most of the popular schools here are as much social organizers as they are Spanish schools. And given that so many of the students come from English speaking countries or are people that already speak high levels of English, it's not surprising that people leave with little more Spanish than they came with.

But this idea that Argentina, or Buenos Aires, is a bad place to learn Spanish makes no sense to me. So the vocab for fruit is different? Okay... The big differences between the dialects and accents can be picked up incredibly quickly with a little bit of exposure.

I learned my Spanish in Buenos Aires, for the most part. It's definitely influenced my Spanish the most. And I've never had a problem travelling anywhere else. I was just in Barcelona for holiday a few months back, and in our group we had people from Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Argentina, and Chile and all managed to speak Spanish with each other. I've never had a single problem being understood by people in other countries. In Mexico, in Spain, Chile, in the states...

USguy not too sure of your specific situation given the details, but if you say its for less than a year and you want to experience a different culture and improve / use your Spanish, I would say its a fantastic opportunity. You wont lose out too much financially if your time is short term(particularly if you are earning in dollars) and although this isnt what you would call a safe city, there certainly are worse cities out there. You need to take precautions and be smart in order to reduce your risk of something happening (or atleast something serious).

I am also down here for a work (as a first priority) as a rotation / secondment for 18 months (minimum) of which 6 have passed. However, also wanted to improve my Spanish and experience a different culture. At times it has been tough, but the benefits BA has to offer have definitely outweighed the negatives and with the benefit of hindsight I would do it all over again. Not sure your age, but I also think this city has more to offer young people and that generally they have better experiences (thats not meaning to offend, only an opinion). Good luck with your decision!

I think its interesting as well the discussion about coming to BA not being true immersion. Its true that its not and that especially in Capital Federal people are generally capable when it comes to english and given the number of tourists expats, you are likely to still speak alot of english. I agree with AndrewW that the same would be said about other Spanish cities and most other Latin American major cities.

I guess its a cost/benefit thing, people want to learn spanish, experience a different culture but weight it up against also what a particular location has to offer in terms of other activities, enjoyment etc. For eg, some people want to improve their spanish but not so badly to get true immersion that they are willing to head to an outback town in the middle of nowhere in Central America where they wont hear a word of english but there is also nothing else to do. Each to their own.

trennod said:
I think its interesting as well the discussion about coming to BA not being true immersion. Its true that its not and that especially in Capital Federal people are generally capable when it comes to english and given the number of tourists expats, you are likely to still speak alot of english. I agree with AndrewW that the same would be said about other Spanish cities and most other Latin American major cities.

I guess its a cost/benefit thing, people want to learn spanish, experience a different culture but weight it up against also what a particular location has to offer in terms of other activities, enjoyment etc. For eg, some people want to improve their spanish but not so badly to get true immersion that they are willing to head to an outback town in the middle of nowhere in Central America where they wont hear a word of english but there is also nothing else to do. Each to their own.

Hi trenrod, I live in an area where (almost) NO ONE else speaks English, but I didn't move here for total immersion.

I simply moved here to be happy.

And it's hardly in the middle of nowhere.

Even Mormon missionaries are here...and I love surprising them by greeting them in English. :p

fifs2 said:
I frequently witness your Jeckyl and Hude personality being helpful one post and then chosing an enemy of the week who you then viciously attack. So I'm on the list now so attack at will you sad bitter old man.

OK, Here's an attack...from an old man...

I am almost 62 and my last girlfriend is now 33 years old and we are great friends.

I recently changed my avatar and another member said I looked like Charlie Manson.

I sent the same photo to my dear friend and she responded by saying that she thought I look like Sean Connery.

I hope your husband still wants to be with you when you are old.

I don't have to be with an old woman.

And I will never be with any woman like you.

PS. It's impossible to be sad or bitter when you attract beautiful women half your age (especially if they don't ask for money). :p

I think everyone has the right to their opinion... when asking a question about whether something is good or bad you're going to get all types of responses. One person's shit hole is another man's paradise. :p

Is it a good idea to go learn English in Newcastle? Maybe... maybe not. :p It's all subjective. Argentine Spanish is distinct, you will be understood anywhere if you learn it well (complete, and that includes neutral Spanish), but it may be confusing if you continue your studies elsewhere and have to relearn the conjugations and certain vocabulary. When books are translated, there's 3 types of Spanish... that from Spain, "neutral" Latin America, and Argentine. If you're just learning for your own personal knowledge, any will do... if you are planning to use it in a more formal setting or for work, you might be better off studying whichever you plan to use most often. But anything can be learned or relearned... :) You'll just have a much broader vocabulary.

As an example... "El pibe de la chomba celeste come un pancho al lado de la pileta." I would have never understood that sentence before coming here and I've always known Spanish. :p It's more different than American English vs. British English even.

Back