Moving A Family To Buenos Aires?

Nicely laid out Ceviche. Good information.

To Rent Long term without a Garantia

1. One way to rent a long term lease is to start with a short term lease in any building you fancy. Maybe for 6 months. And in those 6 months, make friends with guards/neighbors etc and look for other owners in the same building who may be ready to lease you a apartment without a garantia for long term - having seen you for sometime in the same building. After some time, when everyone knows you and know you are capable of paying - trust develops - and you may get lucky in the same building where you are a short term renter.

2. 2nd way for long term lease is to look for expat owners who are settled abroad and will be happy to receive USD rent abroad in a bank account abroad. Its a win win for both. You get a long term without a garantia. He gets USD without having to receive in pesos in BA and having to have someone convert in USD and remit it abroad! usually in this case, there is no escalation of rent every 6 months and you dont have to watch the usd/peso conversion on a dailyyy.

3. 3rd way to get long term lease is pay 12 months rent upfront. This will cool the landlord and his worries if you will pay the rent or not. Thereafter agree to pay in blocks of 3 months and the landlord will be happy to accept.

4. The 4th way is that if you have a legal job and legal earnings or registered with AFIP ( argentine tax authority) as a tax payer for over a year. You can actually buy a bank guarantee from a bank to help you rent without a garantia. The bank guarantees to the landlord to pay the rent in case you can not.

But I would comment on #3 and #4 a little bit.

I've not had success with #3, personally, though I know one person who has. I have another friend right now who is searching for a place (his first long term lease) and he has been turned down from 3 different owners. the problem is that at the end of the two year lease, having paid that first year or even the the second year in quarter-long payments, when the end of the lease comes the owner has no additional recourse of a guarantee to force the occupant out if they don't want to leave. It also doesn't help with damages that exceed the initial deposit. This is feedback I've gotten from a few of the owners with whom I've tried to make such a deal. Although admittedly, it's been awhile since I tried this because I got all negatives the first two times I tried this. It could be that things have changed a bit as owners try to rent their places out in this economy. But foreigners (though most likely not from other South American countries) would have more luck with this than Argentinos.

On #4 - All of my brothers-in-law work in the while, except for one. They have approached their banks and have had pretty much no luck. At first they didn't even want to give them a guarantee. After pushing, the amount of money that they are guaranteed for is a percentage of their income and it wasn't enough to rent a hotel, much less an apartment which they could have afforded to rent. It may be possible to do this, but I don't think it's easy. Kind of like a mortgage - they exist here, but they are expensive and very hard to get approved for.

Recovering deposit on long term lease

1.Do not pay the rent for last month.

2. Invite the landlord to have a look at the apartment 1 month before the rent is due for last month and ask him for feedback on any damages you may have done. Have your integrity intact and repair what you broke in last 2 years

3.Have a quality management system style of all bills neatly filed, with separators, in sequential order, for the landlord to sight that nothing major is due

4. You could usually pay electricity, gas, building expenses, cable, ABL ( street taxes) bills all in advance and have them ready for the landlord to sight. That you have paid up all till the departure date.

5. If you have hung paintings etc - get the wall repaired.

Not paying the rent for the last month si a possibility, but one I found I couldn't do, personally. It's not right, although it would have saved my deposit in each of my situations. I know it's something that is done here often, but so are other things that are unsavory and I'd rather be on the right side of things than stoop to their level. but you're right, it is one way that people do things here.

My buddy who rented for 9 years tried for a month before he was going to leave his apartment to get the owners over to inspect it. He had moved out early and cleaned the place and taken care of any incidental damages well before he asked them to come look at it. They never did come. 4 months later, after he's been trying to get his deposit back, he gets a bill from the owners of $45,000 pesos which included painting (the walls were nearly immaculate when he moved out - 50 sm apartment and only two walls in the living room and three walls in the bedroom had to be painted - the bathroom and the kitchen were tiled and one wall in the living room was glass doors, the other tiled like the kitchen with a bar between kitchen and den) and the replacement of an electric stove (no oven), which from the day he moved in hadn't worked (he had the communication to prove it), but he didn't worry about it because the only things he cooks, he bakes in the oven - mostly he ordered out. he thought about not paying the last month's rent, but thought he had such a good relationship with the owners that he didn't need to stoop to their level. Maybe he should have.

We tried not paying last month of rent and two days over the payment term the landlord started calling me (instead of my husband). I was getting examined at the hospital and my husband's phone was not picking up the signal. By the time we left the building (1 hour later) he texted us that "since he tried unsuccessfully to get a hang of us for this month's rent he was left with no other choice but to claim money from our guarantor". And we needed not to upset our guarantor since we were about to rent another place and to use him as a guarantor again. So, you CAN do this this but it is not a nice spot to be in.

So when we met to close our contract, magically the landlord started making up things to not return our deposit, despite we abide by the law until the very end. (Things like "there are holes in the wall from your paintings", but ignored that we entered the place with a pink wall with butterflies glued all around, holes from the previous tenant and bathroom fixings leaking).

Landlords here are usually jerks, especially with foreigners. Finding a foreign landlord would be a blessing, in my opinion.

on the subject of asthma-
My wife has pretty bad asthma in the rural Pacific Northwest, in the USA, mostly from pollen, grasses, and animal dander.
She has virtually none for the several months each year we spend in Buenos Aires.

And having lived in Los Angeles for many years, I dont consider BA to be particularly bad in terms of smog.

No, I'm English. My husband is Indian but he has been an expat all his life until we moved here 3 years ago.

No, I'm English. My husband is Indian but he has been an expat all his life until we moved here 3 years ago.
I see. It's good to choose other countries then. I know you are trying to get an idea how much things cost here. But things are changing all the time. The cost to dollars are relatively stale. I traveled to India a few times on business trips, always stayed at nice hotels and have a driver(which is not a big deal in India) followed me. Each time I was on my way out, I was thinking I am not coming back. And my coworkers were looking for excuses not going back to the office in India. My experience with Buenos Aires is the opposite. I think you will like it. But it's harder to find something. Once you get it going, it will be OK. In Argentina, if you see someone who is competent, punctual and reliable, you hire him/her. If you can be like that, people need you.

Yeah India is really hard. I'm sure we would love it in BA. I actually know very little about Argentina but I get the impression that people love to enjoy life and that quality of life is very important for them. I like that. I stayed in Ireland for many years because that's the thing I love about the Irish. And my husband and I both speak Spanish which makes it easy (easier than Thailand, which is also on our list!)

Thanks for your comments about finding work there, but we will try and get him a job first, otherwise we won't be coming. We've whittled down the shortlist now to BA, Toronto, Berlin and Bangkok. so now it's really a race to see where we can get a job first!

Keep me posted on Berlin, it is on our list as well.

6000 pesos a month (minimum) for a full day for a young kid (below 4) for a private bilingual school

Once you hit first grade, it generally goes up to 9-10,000 pesos a month and secundaria is 12,000 and up. Matriculation can be a one time fee or charged annually.

Among the 4 places of BA, Toronto, Berlin and Bangkok, BA is the hardest to make a living. It's much easier if you bring your $ from other places or have an online job, generally speaking, for an outsider. People come to BA because they like the city not because there is a great career path here.

Among the 4 places of BA, Toronto, Berlin and Bangkok, BA is the hardest to make a living. It's much easier if you bring your $ from other places or have an online job, generally speaking, for an outsider. People come to BA because they like the city not because there is a great career path here.

Exactly. I would choose BA because it appeals to you culturally and because you would like to live in South America, learn Spanish, etc. However, the next few months will be (hopefully) a period of change, and it's harder than ever to predict how much inflation will be in the coming year, how much demand there will be for rentals, what it will mean for foreign investment and salaries, etc. I remember right after the implosion of December 2001, we were down in Pinamar and the town was packed! The country was falling apart and the entire region was booked. Everyone was spending their cash before it was devalued. Yes, that area generally appeals to a wealthier clientele, but I have never seen it so crazy in all the years since. So, sometimes, what you would expect ends up to be just the opposite in reality. Such is Argentina! You will never be bored!

Back