Moving to Bahia Blanca

Sulacochilcano

Registered
I will be moving to Bahia Blanca, in southern Buenos Aires province, in August. I will be taking wife and two small boys, and we will be in Argentina for two years. We would appreciate any advice about settling into the area, or about Argentina in general.

I live very close to Bahia Blanca.

What would you like to know?

Hablas castellano?

Steve,

I want to know what the weather is like there.

These days I'm dying of heat/humidity exhaustion and it has me wondering what your weather is like.

Thanks

Steve,

Mostly I would like to know good neighborhoods. Our elder son is 3 and a half, so we will be looking at schools for him.

I already speak Spanish, but the rest of my family do not (yet).

Also, how does Punta Alta compare to Bahia Blanca? I will be working at Puerto Belgrano.

Thanks for your help.

Napoleon said:
Steve,

I want to know what the weather is like there.

These days I'm dying of heat/humidity exhaustion and it has me wondering what your weather is like.

Thanks

It's sometimes a couple degrees colder than BA in the winter, and there are days when it it hot in the summer, but I did not turn my A/C/ on even once this year...and I only slept with the fan on twice.

It has been dry here up until the last week. Three days of rain in the past six...including today, but rarely for more than an hour or two.

Steve,

Mostly I would like to know good neighborhoods. Our elder son is 3 and a half, so we will be looking at schools for him.

Also, how does Punta Alta compare to Bahia Blanca? I will be working at Puerto Belgrano.

Thanks for your help.

Sulacochilcano said:
Steve,

Thanks for your help.

If you are going to be working at Puerto Belgrano (the naval base) in Punta Alta I doubt you will want to live in Bahia Blanca. It would mean you have to have a car and drive about 25km each way or take the bus. It might be a horrible experience.

The couple who sold the house I presently live in are now living in a very nice (middle class) area in Punta Alta. They are finishing a two bedroom apartment above their current residence that is seven blocks from the Puerto Blegrano Naval Base.

If you think that wold work for you let me know. It is a beautiful apartment and you could walk to work or take a bus.

I need to get more info about schools. I know nothing about them here. I don't think three and a half year olds are required to attend school. There may be kindercare here like there is in Capital Federal, but I'll bet most kids that age are home with mommy.

25 km isn't really a major commute provided you have a car ;) I'll ask my so's cousin - she lives in Bahia as well.

A bit more info: Bahia Blanca is a city with a population of voer 300,000. It has everything you would expect except ethnic restaurants. Punta Alta is a town with a population of about 75,000 and far fewer services and restaurants. Bahia Blanca has a nice shopping center with cinema. Also tango, pilates, yoga, etc.

As for neighborhoods in Bahia Blanca you need to stay north of Brown. The area around Walmart is good (Sarimiento 4000). I don't know how easy it is for foreigners to rent here, but if your wife's cousin is in Bahia Blanca that is a plus. It may be difficult to rent without a garantia.

Steve,

Thanks very much for the advice. We will have a car, at least after the first month, so Bahia Blanca will be an option for us. We will most likely try to find a house vice an apartment, but we will see. Is the "garantia" you mentioned a lease agreement, or a deposit, or something else?

My wife's biggest worry is socialization, especially since she is a beginning Spanish speaker who has never lived abroad before. What sorts of places and activities do local families frequent?

Again, thanks for the advice.

Josh

Back