Need To Buy Car For 1 Year In Bariloche - Jan 2015 Arrival

anachman

Registered
Hello,
My family is moving to Bariloche from Idaho, USA for 1 year in January 2015. The one big issue I am trying to sort out is getting a car. Should I fly into Chile and buy one there? Should I buy one locally? And how much would I expect to need to spend for a larger vehicle for a family of 4, with room for luggage, skis, etc. Any gringos out there need to sell a car around this time?
Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Andrew

I'm not an expert on the car thing. We bought our Honda Civic for about $13,000 in BA. I think if you buy one if Chile you will have to drive it back over the border every 3 months. One of the expats in our Bariloche group has done that. If you join the group on FB you can ask her. The name of the group is Expats in Bariloche & Friends.

Hello,
My family is moving to Bariloche from Idaho, USA for 1 year in January 2015. The one big issue I am trying to sort out is getting a car. Should I fly into Chile and buy one there? Should I buy one locally? And how much would I expect to need to spend for a larger vehicle for a family of 4, with room for luggage, skis, etc. Any gringos out there need to sell a car around this time?
Any help you can offer would be appreciated.
Andrew

I own a car in Chile but keep it there for most of the year. It's unlikely the Chileans would put any obstacle in your way, but Argentine customs would probably look askance, to say the least, at frequent brief trips over the border. Be aware that if you purchase an Argentine vehicle, you will find it difficult to take it into Chile unless you have legal residence in Argentina because Argentina considers it a vehículo nacional (even though it's your personal property).

If you buy a car here in Argentina and keep it for a year figure a loss of aprox 50 % on your investment ($20+/$14 = 43%) like US$6000 on the Toyota or US$500 per month!!! . Consider Leasing or Long Term Rental payable in Argentine Pesos .

Good Luck

I had a Chilean car and had issues at the border at Libertadores (Chilean customs would not let me take it across the border). I had no issues at Osorno-Bariloche. Be aware that it might be hard to get certain car parts for a car bought in Chile (and it is not allowed to import parts). But that is maybe not an issue with a new car - unless you buy a Chinese vehicle. Driving to Chile every 90 days is probably not an issue if you live in Bariloche. The pass is almost always open. And the Chilean side is worth frequent visits. In Argentina people will always think you are a tourist from Chile, though (higher risk of breaking into your car). Also be prepared that some people might yell at you.

Rich how did you come up with the 50% loss? I found the prices for used cars relatively high here in Argentina (as in Chile) - so the loss should not be that high. Btw leasing was not an option at the car dealerships I went to. Only cash, the auto ahorro plan (save money for a car you will receive eventually) and to finance.

I had a Chilean car and had issues at the border at Libertadores (Chilean customs would not let me take it across the border). I had no issues at Osorno-Bariloche. Be aware that it might be hard to get certain car parts for a car bought in Chile (and it is not allowed to import parts). But that is maybe not an issue with a new car - unless you buy a Chinese vehicle. Driving to Chile every 90 days is probably not an issue if you live in Bariloche. The pass is almost always open. And the Chilean side is worth frequent visits. In Argentina people will always think you are a tourist from Chile, though (higher risk of breaking into your car). Also be prepared that some people might yell at you.

I think we discussed this before. I've never had any problem leaving Chile or entering Argentina with my vehicle(s), but I always carry a photocopy of a previous crossing to prove I've done it. Many years ago, one Chilean customs official at a remote border post where I had no intention of crossing told me he would not let me do so, but it was no big deal - I merely wanted to visit parts of the national park that were beyond the customs post.

A brief crossing and immediate return may raise red flags with Argentine customs, even in Bariloche. Your mileage may vary, I guess.

Rich is referring to the devaluation of the peso. What is not factored in is inflation. We bought a 0km Ford Fiesta one year ago for $118k. Now it is $156k. A Renault Clio was $60k now $90k.

So if buy a used car for say $50k you will loose on the devaluation , but inflation will keep the value going up. So after a year , you may sell it for $60k , but the exchange rate will only let you get say $35k at todays rate.

No matter what you do , plan to loose on the value of the car and the value of the pesos you use to buy it.....

As Ajo said , buying in Chile will be smarter money(exchange rate) wise , and you should not have issues crossing.

Rich is referring to the devaluation of the peso. What is not factored in is inflation. We bought a 0km Ford Fiesta one year ago for $118k. Now it is $156k. A Renault Clio was $60k now $90k.

So if buy a used car for say $50k you will loose on the devaluation , but inflation will keep the value going up. So after a year , you may sell it for $60k , but the exchange rate will only let you get say $35k at todays rate.

in Chile will be smarter money(exchange rate) wise , and you should not have issues crossing.

Assuming the rate will be the same as today is a Mistake...!! :D

In your example you buy at $50000/14 = US$3571 and sell at $60000/22 = US $2727 (blue rate at least a year later) A 31% loss Assuming IF your vehicle goes up 20 % in value in Pesos!!!!

I think we discussed this before. I've never had any problem leaving Chile or entering Argentina with my vehicle(s), but I always carry a photocopy of a previous crossing to prove I've done it. Many years ago, one Chilean customs official at a remote border post where I had no intention of crossing told me he would not let me do so, but it was no big deal - I merely wanted to visit parts of the national park that were beyond the customs post.

A brief crossing and immediate return may raise red flags with Argentine customs, even in Bariloche. Your mileage may vary, I guess.

Having a copy of your previous crossing document is kind of a difficult task if it is the first time you are entering Argentina with your car. Based on my experience with Chilean customs at Libertadores I would avoid that crossing and drive accross Pehuenche (a little south of Libertadores). Or if you are driving to Bariloche then you could just cross at Cardenal Samoré. At both I had no issues with my Chilean car.

Assuming the rate will be the same as today is a Mistake...!! :D

In your example you buy at $50000/14 = US$3571 and sell at $60000/22 = US $2727 (blue rate at least a year later) A 31% loss Assuming IF your vehicle goes up 20 % in value in Pesos!!!!

Though car prices went up way more than 20% during the last year. I remember I had to increase the insured value of my car by 45% from one month to the other after the last peso devaluation.

Back