Neighbors: Brazil To Help Uruguay Avoid Argentina

I wonder where it will be exactly? Rocha covers a large area and has some of the nicest coastline in the country.

They are going to put another papelera in Laguna Merin, in the east (border with Brazil)...

I dont like Astori. Hes more for breaking with Argentina and Brazil and having commercial bonds with UE and US than pro-Mercosur or regional integration.
If there were people, interests in some place that do not want this integration, this growing commercial and cultural integration of the two giants, Argentina and Brazil, then for them, Uruguay is strategical geopolitically. In fact, there was a huge work of England in Uruguays independence from Argentina in 1825.
Uruguay, its politicians, are tragically divided now, the ones who want a Latin American integration, with Mercosur, Unasur, etc, which also means more inequality and submission to Brazil and Argentina, being constantly bullied by them, or the ones who defend a different model of autonomy, economic independence, etc, Uruguay has always had good relations with the US, and theres always the chance to have a treaty.

I preffer the cultural and economic integration for the region, so in that direction I d choose Mujica, Contanza Moreira, etc, and dislike Astori, Tabaré, the red party and the white ones.

Why would Uruguay want to interact with an unreasonable neighbor that's constantly bullying, except when it's unavoidable?

Its not always and everywhere the situation of bullying. Because of their size, Argentina and Brazil have special advantages, regarding to commerce, but Uruguay needs this commerce too. Its not like they can choose not to interact with Arg or Bra.

Its not always and everywhere the situation of bullying. Because of their size, Argentina and Brazil have special advantages, regarding to commerce, but Uruguay needs this commerce too. Its not like they can choose not to interact with Arg or Bra.

Still, it's not surprising that Uruguay would look elsewhere. Brazil, I think, is far less heavy-handed than Argentina, which often treats Uruguay like a backward province controlled by the opposition.

I live in the woods. I have three neighbors, A, B and P. A and B are pretty powerful with lots of land and connections. P is a small neighbor like me.

A and his family are complete a$$holes; constantly calls me and my family names, talks bad about me to B and P, throws trash over my fence, and more than once has called the police with false accusations. The problem is that there is only one road to my house and it goes through A's property.

One day my neighbor B comes to me and offers to help build another road to my property so I'm not forced to always deal with A.

Its not complicated.

I live in the woods. I have three neighbors, A, B and P. A and B are pretty powerful with lots of land and connections. P is a small neighbor like me.

A and his family are complete a$$holes; constantly calls me and my family names, talks bad about me to B and P, throws trash over my fence, and more than once has called the police with false accusations. The problem is that there is only one road to my house and it goes through A's property.

One day my neighbor B comes to me and offers to help build another road to my property so I'm not forced to always deal with A.

Its not complicated.

Its not that simply. Uruguay needs Argentina. Example: tourism. Tourism is very important in Uruguays economy, VERY. One of the major industries for sure.
People in Punta del Este, where I lived, work on summer, Dec-Jan-Feb and then can not work the rest of the year. You read well, most of the people that work for tourism can live an entire year with that income.
And like 70% of the property of 'Uruguay Natural' coasts belongs to argentines. Argentines represent far more than 50% of Uruguays tourism.

There are lots of others sectors that Uruguay needs from Argentina.

So its not like everything is shit from his neighbour.

Its not that simply. Uruguay needs Argentina. Example: tourism. Tourism is very important in Uruguays economy, VERY. One of the major industries for sure.
People in Punta del Este, where I lived, work on summer, Dec-Jan-Feb and then can not work the rest of the year. You read well, most of the people that work for tourism can live an entire year with that income.
And like 70% of the property of 'Uruguay Natural' coasts belongs to argentines. Argentines represent far more than 50% of Uruguays tourism.

There are lots of others sectors that Uruguay needs from Argentina.

So its not like everything is shit from his neighbour.

Uruguay has been receiving Argentine tourists in spite of the fact that the Argentine government is trying to destroy that tourism.

Uruguay has been receiving Argentine tourists in spite of the fact that the Argentine government is trying to destroy that tourism.

Yes, we cant blame them for that, every government would want to protect local tourism, after all they re argentines.

Back